Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quite dissatisfied with post-sales service - any useful contacts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered a S85 mid-September 2013 in Belgium and have gone through hard times establishing a swift communication channel with the local Tesla team since then. Unable/unwilling to answer my questions (even basic ones), not getting back to me despite promising to do so, contradictory answers, etc. I realize they must be swamped under requests and might be understaffed in Europe for the moment, but I still feel this has gone beyond the acceptable - and I'm (A) as close to a Tesla fanboy as it gets and (B) normally not the painful client type.

This came to the point where it escalated to someone taking care of deliveries at EU level, who called me a while ago to say he was sorry for the incidents before, and that he was going to be my SPOC as from now. Truth is, it hasn't gotten any better. He doesn't answer my emails, including the ones asking why my delivery date has been pushed from January to March '14. I can live with the postponement, but I don't like the fact they don't feel they have to tell why that's happening.

Last episode to date: the Brussels Motor Show is taking place in the coming weeks and Tesla will be there, so I emailed the guy a couple of days ago asking whether they would consider inviting me to the show as a matter of courtesy (every single car manufacturer does this in Belgium with clients, certainly high-end brands). Needless to say he didn't answer until I sent him a reminder, but the answer was a sheer forward of a mass marketing email I already got through the regular Tesla mailing list, announcing their presence at the show. Completely not to the point.

All this combined makes me feel I'm getting poor after-sales service, and it makes me worry for the future. Also, this is a dangerous path to follow form the company when you compare to the true competition Tesla is facing on the EU market who are all trying (and from my experience largely succeeding) to offer great service to their clients and make them feel important.

Now my question is - do you think it's worth trying to escalate this to another level, maybe global? I know some of you will believe I'm overreacting, and I can't blame you for that, but I don't really feel that way. Thoughts? And maybe email addresses I could use to reach Tesla global? Can't find anything on the website.

I believe that Tesla is going through growing pains. It is possible they need more staff or better customer service training or the staff is simply still very green (new). I am sure these types of comments are read and analyzed to make things right.

Tesla is at a very difficult point of balancing staff and demand and not going broke. I am sure as they ramp up to the next level, they will keep to improve service to go along with it.

Be the squeaky wheel but do it nicely. :)

I have had what I would consider very good customer service regarding post-sales service. However, I think it might be that I do not treat service with a "dealer" mentality. Therefore, I gathered some contacts not only from the local service areas, but also from corporate. I had placed a pre-production deposit down a few years back "on-line", and when it came time to finalize the purchase and configuration of my Model S it was again done "online", with assistance from various sales and finance staff that I contacted during the process. Therefore, I approach the sales and service with the same mentality, utilizing telephone, email and even LinkedIn to keep in touch. All that said, I have only made one trip to the service location (Tesla picked up my MS prior) and it was quite a difference experience than when I used to bring my Lexus in. The staff is great and helpful, but the facility (office area) itself does not have any of the comforts that the other high end dealers have. But again, Tesla is not a dealership. In any case, I hope that the "customer first" service I have experienced will make its' way to the EU.

I've ordered a S85 mid-September 2013 in Belgium and have gone through hard times establishing a swift communication channel with the local Tesla team since then. Unable/unwilling to answer my questions (even basic ones), not getting back to me despite promising to do so, contradictory answers, etc. I realize they must be swamped under requests and might be understaffed in Europe for the moment, but I still feel this has gone beyond the acceptable - and I'm (A) as close to a Tesla fanboy as it gets and (B) normally not the painful client type.

This came to the point where it escalated to someone taking care of deliveries at EU level, who called me a while ago to say he was sorry for the incidents before, and that he was going to be my SPOC as from now. Truth is, it hasn't gotten any better. He doesn't answer my emails, including the ones asking why my delivery date has been pushed from January to March '14. I can live with the postponement, but I don't like the fact they don't feel they have to tell why that's happening.

Last episode to date: the Brussels Motor Show is taking place in the coming weeks and Tesla will be there, so I emailed the guy a couple of days ago asking whether they would consider inviting me to the show as a matter of courtesy (every single car manufacturer does this in Belgium with clients, certainly high-end brands). Needless to say he didn't answer until I sent him a reminder, but the answer was a sheer forward of a mass marketing email I already got through the regular Tesla mailing list, announcing their presence at the show. Completely not to the point.

All this combined makes me feel I'm getting poor after-sales service, and it makes me worry for the future. Also, this is a dangerous path to follow form the company when you compare to the true competition Tesla is facing on the EU market who are all trying (and from my experience largely succeeding) to offer great service to their clients and make them feel important.

Now my question is - do you think it's worth trying to escalate this to another level, maybe global? I know some of you will believe I'm overreacting, and I can't blame you for that, but I don't really feel that way. Thoughts? And maybe email addresses I could use to reach Tesla global? Can't find anything on the website.

Hi Spotless and others... It is exactly the same here in Norway if not worse...
I ordered a S85 in the beginning of October(exp delivery February). Since then I got no personal calls but only a general email stating delivery is delayed to April!!! 6,5 damn months!!!
I wanted better explanation so drove to local store, but they have no idea of anything at all, just the information I can read from homepage... Even I knew more coz I follow forums.
Also wrote some emails to different addresses but no daaammn answer for 3 weeks!!!
After the 3 weeks wait, I got an answer from a lady claiming she is my sales advisor but no explanation about delays, only saying sorry, and crying that they don't get detailed information from headquarters... Daaarnnn!!! kidding me? It is not an excuse to give to your customer... But hold on it got better afterwards!
And I got another email after 2 weeks(5 weeks in total) from another person, this time, he claimed he was my sales advisor and same apologies, crying and no explanation...
I am finally fed up...
It is not only delivery related frustration but it is overall experience...
Tesla's staff have got no idea what is coming, when is coming, what is status. Not aware of pricing for future services or features, no estimated dates, for superchargers, future updates, chademo charging adaptor, premium center console...
I expected to have excellent experience with Tesla after reading US customers posts in forums but completely disappointed now!

One more last thing, When I ordered the S85, power folding side mirrors and the fog lights with LED accent were not available so I couldn't pick them.
In November, I requested via email if they could add power folding side mirrors and the fog lights and stated I agree to pay the difference in the tech package and additional Fog light package. By then, I didn't even have a VIN number.
But, I got a reply:
""Your Model S will not be equipped with the automatic mirrors, but we could retro fit them after delivery.
This is the same for the fog lights in the front. Your Mode S will have fog lights in the rear but not in the front.

If you would like to change this before delivery, this would mean that your Model S might be delayed and that we would have to switch to the new price book.
Meaning your Model S might get more expensive. Please check this in the new Design Studio and if you are happy with the new configuration, then please send me the PDF and we will arrange for the change to be made.""
Basically, Tesla asked me to pay 75500 euro instead of 68550euro(my purchase price) and plus get even more delayed... :D It just makes me laugh...
Anyone out there have similar experience?
Please share your experience and what you plan to do...

The no-contact thing is indeed an issue and mostly comes from all the sales advisors being extremely overloaded. I remember the feeling all too well until I accidentally happened upon one guy who was really helpful and knowledgable. Stuck with him ever since and got all things done in a timely manner and with friendly and helpful information. We're in regular contact now as I kind of act as the go-to person for any Estonians who want to order a Model S and he's acting as the personal sales advisor for all Estonians through me :) Things happen and people are happy. Yes there are delays, partially I'd assume because of the battery supply constraints so they have to re-prioritize a few items including allocating some factory space for example to China deliveries and I think those pushed some people back. Yes, it's frustrating if you're still waiting, but consider that October ... January is a longer timeframe than January-March the thoughts of cancelling etc might be not the best ones ;) Then you basically waited and salivated for nothing and once you've gone S you don't want to go back to anything else as that'll feel substandard. We'll just have to understand that it's the rapid growth of a young company that is still starting in a new region (remember, EU deliveries have only been going on since August). They will get their act together in time for E, but until then we are all early adopters :)

I initially got very below average service in Canada when they opened the service center. Not returning emails and calls, not following thru, etc. I sometime had to email ownership at the HQ and it seemed to put some pressure on the local team.

It's better now tough. I'm going for my annual service in March so I'll know for sure.

I initially got very below average service in Canada when they opened the service center. Not returning emails and calls, not following thru, etc. I sometime had to email ownership at the HQ and it seemed to put some pressure on the local team.

It's better now tough. I'm going for my annual service in March so I'll know for sure.

The Service Centres tend to be overwhelmed as they have both new cars to prep and service to perform. I always send my requests through ownership.

Since it appears that the local Tesla employees don't have the information you require (not having information is a usual reason for not being communicated with in a timely manner), then it makes sense to escalate to the next level.