Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rabbit Causing Damage to Wiring.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my new Model S damaged by a rabbit chewing wires. The car is now with Tesla awaiting a new wiring harness that is taking 2 weeks to get. It will then take 14 hours to rewire the car. Cost for repair $3110.00

The Tesla service person found the live rabbit in the Frunk. It jumped into the front thru the BIG cut out next to the wheel. He then pushed the cover panels next to the windshield and into the Frunk.

The Tesla service person told me this is happening alot. There is one Model 3 customer who has been hit 4 times!!!

I have now had to displace my husbands car so I can park in the garage as I am scared to death this will happen again.

Anyone else have this happen?

Sorry to hear that....

Time to add a dash accessory!
jim-shore-looney-tunes-elmer-fudd.jpg

Rodents getting into cars is quite common where I live (in a forest filled with wildlife) and parking outdoors is not a good idea here. Never heard of a rabbit getting into a car though — that's a new one. In my neighborhood we have had trouble with bears breaking into cars or breaking off door handles in the attempt.

I learned not to park my LEAF outdoors overnight when deer mice got into it and were carried into my garage, which had been mouse-free for years. I also had a pack rat ride the LEAF into my garage, where it was trapped and couldn't get out. I trapped it and moved it back outside:
Packrat from garage0628cropsf 7-10-12.jpg
After I got rid of all the deer mice in my car, with traps at each wheel, I never parked it outside again. The Tesla stays inside my garage at home, with the door securely closed — I've learned my lesson.

Reactions: Russell
I have a 13 year old child hovering over my 2014 Blue Steel S85, assuming that's going to be his car when he's old enough to drive. Doesn't matter that I've told him I'd have to be dead for that to happen. He hasn't caused any damage to the car yet to hasten my demise but should I be worried?

• Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion
I have had rodents nest in my pickup and chew wires (farm truck kept outdoors so almost expected), but also had a nest in the air intake of a Subaru WRX that was garage kept. Best defense I have found is outdoor barn cats. A couple around the house and they absolutely diminish and discourage the rodent population. You have to play nature against nature. It's the only way.

Reactions: Lasairfion
Look for a product called Plantskydd. It's a repellent made from animal blood and it reminds the rodents that predator animals are nearby. A little around the garage doors should be enough.

A sister-in-law had wiring damage to her car because she stored dog food in the garage where she parked the car. Big mistake.

We live near a ravine so coyotes will take out rodents. We had a rabbit problem until the coyote arrived.

Be thankful that you don't park an RV outdoors during the off season as they sustain a lot of damage when field mice invade.

The repellent worked for us until the coyote arrived in fact the repellent may have attracted the coyote.

Rabbit caused $1500 in damage to my Santa Fe one time. I did a comprehensive damage claim and paid my $250 deduct. It doesn't make your insurance go up for most companies unless it's repetitive.
I now park in the garage no matter what. If not for the rabbits, for the hail!

I've had a rabbit sneak in my garage when I wasn't looking. Didn't chew on the car at all, just chewed through the wires leading to the garage door safety sensor. Chased him away with a broom. Much easier to fix that wire than one in a harness in a car. Now if my garage door doesn't want to work, I look for wabbits.

I have had my new Model S damaged by a rabbit chewing wires. The car is now with Tesla awaiting a new wiring harness that is taking 2 weeks to get. It will then take 14 hours to rewire the car. Cost for repair $3110.00
The Tesla service person found the live rabbit in the Frunk. It jumped into the front thru the BIG cut out next to the wheel. He then pushed the cover panels next to the windshield and into the Frunk.
The Tesla service person told me this is happening alot. There is one Model 3 customer who has been hit 4 times!!!
I have now had to displace my husbands car so I can park in the garage as I am scared to death this will happen again.
Anyone else have this happen?
So sorry to hear that. I had my previous vehicle (Ford Expedition) get the wires chewed on twice and ruin the wiring right next to the firewall. Twice!! Really sucks because you have to get it towed and then wait on parts (in my case). It was not cheap either. Perhaps $1200*2 if I recall. I don't want to look it up as it will bring back too many memories!