Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racing Brake XT910 vs XT970

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they'd be exactly the same.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

The only time you'd see a difference in pads is if you tested, say, 10 back-to-back-no-cooldown stops from 80-0 in a row.

One set of pads, the braking distance would begin to get longer after fewer stops than the other.

it'd never be shorter than stock though as brake upgrades can't do that- only tire upgrades can.
Pads make a difference:

Pads make a difference:

For stopping distance? No, they really don't. They can't. That's not how physics works.

Guy in video appears to be "testing" by just hitting the brakes at what he visually thinks is the same speed/spot every time and then sticking a flag in the ground where he stops.

Real stopping distance tests are done with calibrated electronic devices that don't rely on "guessing" if you hit the brakes at the right time or speed to do apples to apples comparisons.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the physics of why brake pads can't shorter your OEM stopping distance, read this:

GRM Pulp Friction

Author designs braking systems for major OEMs, teaches SAE master classes on brake systems, and has literally written books on the subject.

I can also quote you technical white papers from Stoptech or the FAQ from Brembo all telling you brake upgrades don't reduce stopping distance if you're still unsure.

I suspect (or hope anyway) even MPP would confirm their pads won't (and physically can't) knock 12 feet off a normal 45 mph stop as that video claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: destructure00
For stopping distance? No, they really don't. They can't. That's not how physics works.

Guy in video appears to be "testing" by just hitting the brakes at what he visually thinks is the same speed/spot every time and then sticking a flag in the ground where he stops.

Real stopping distance tests are done with calibrated electronic devices that don't rely on "guessing" if you hit the brakes at the right time or speed to do apples to apples comparisons.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the physics of why brake pads can't shorter your OEM stopping distance, read this:

GRM Pulp Friction

Author designs braking systems for major OEMs, teaches SAE master classes on brake systems, and has literally written books on the subject.

I can also quote you technical white papers from Stoptech or the FAQ from Brembo all telling you brake upgrades don't reduce stopping distance if you're still unsure.

I suspect (or hope anyway) even MPP would confirm their pads won't (and physically can't) knock 12 feet off a normal 45 mph stop as that video claims.
Only if if the brake system is already designed from the factory to reach the absolute maximum stopping power the tires are capable of as fast as possible. Which I doubt it is.
But no matter. You can theorize all you want and share your internet links. I prefer to rely on my years of experience in racing and testing many different pads on the track.

Only if if the brake system is already designed from the factory to reach the absolute maximum stopping power the tires are capable of as fast as possible. Which I doubt it is.

Then you'd be wrong, again.

If the car can engage ABS then MOAR BRAKES don't help. Can't help.

And every car I'm aware of made in the last decade or two can do that with factory brakes.

But no matter. You can theorize all you want and share your internet links. I prefer to rely on my years of experience in racing and testing many different pads on the track.

I bet you prefer the butt dyno to a real one too :)

The author of the link I gave you that you clearly didn't read has a lot more racing experience than you do.

Plus literally designs braking systems for a living for major OEMs.

And both teaches SAE master classes on the topic, and writes books on the topic.

He also says you're wrong.

Seriously dude, even the biggest folks who sell brake upgrades for a living say you're wrong- including Brembo and Stoptech.

If their kits could actually stop you shorter they'd be screaming that from the mountains

Instead, Brembo doesn't even bother to measure stopping distance, and they tell you why in their FAQ-

Brembo said:
WHERE CAN I FIND TEST DATA ON STOPPING DISTANCES?

At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance.

For this reason, we do not record stopping distances at this time.

Anyway, back in reality, the brakes do not stop the car. The tires do.

The only way to reduce your normal stopping distance is stickier tires.

See also the porsche guys who drop $10,000 on PCCB kits and don't stop any shorter either.

In fact- Road and Track did a big test on this a while back

The Power to Stop

So, first, they tell you straight up that for a normal single stop-

Car and Driver said:
every car has brakes strong enough for the anti-lock system to hold its tires on the verge of lockup for at least one stop

Which is why brake upgrades don't help there. At all.

Where they do help is fade resistance- the ability to not stop any longer on the 10th back to back high speed stop than it did on the first.

That's vital on the track, but useless in normal street driving unless you're Jason Bourne.

And second- they actually tested two Porsche 911 Carrera S vehicles...one with stock brakes, and one with the $10,000 PCCB upgrade. Their findings?

Car and Driver said:
The 911 with the PCCB system performed about the same as the other 911 and the Vette. The average stopping distances of the two 911s were within a foot of each other (305 feet), not surprising since both cars were wearing the same tires

A $10,000 brake upgrade, and no improvement in stopping distance.

Because again, the brakes don't stop the car. The tires do.

Again the entire point of a big brake kit is never to stop the car shorter- and especially not on a normal street panic stop.

It's so that your tenth stop from 100 mph without giving the brakes time to cool isn't any longer than the first stop was. (they can also customize the "feel" of the brakes and other things all explained in detail in the original GRM link you didn't read...but twhat they can't do is stop the car any shorter the first time)

THAT is why brake upgrades are useful when tracking a car, but not for normal street driving.

Last edited:
Then you'd be wrong, again.

If the car can engage ABS then MOAR BRAKES don't help. Can't help.

And every car I'm aware of made in the last decade or two can do that with factory brakes. .
They can engage ABS at some speed, yes. But it won't engage immediately at high speeds, because there is too much motion energy for the brakes to engage ABS. The ABS will only engage once the speed has reduced enough.
By your internet wisdom the brakes can't be made worse by pads either, no matter how bad the quality.
Have you ever compared different pads?

They can engage ABS at some speed, yes. But it won't engage immediately at high speeds, because there is too much motion energy for the brakes to engage ABS.

This is a nonsensical sentence.

"too much motion energy for the brakes to engage ABS"?

The ABS will only engage once the speed has reduced enough.

Uh... no. I suggest you look into a book on how ABS works. ABS engages when the system detects slippage (ie the sensors, which are taking readings every few miliseconds, say a given wheel is decelerating more quickly than it's actually possible for the car to decelerate for example)

By your internet wisdom the brakes can't be made worse by pads either

Nope- you've once again totally failed to understand how any of this works.

There's lots of ways to make stopping distance worse with aftermarket parts.

You just can't make it better.

In fact- here's a link that both explains ABS to you in simple terms AND gives an example of how an aftermarket brake upgrade can actually make things worse in some cases-

ABS and Brake Kit fundamentals

it's from Stoptech... who again:

A) Knows more about brakes than you
B) Also says the tires, not the brakes, stop the car
C) Sells BBKs so would be highly motivated to publish data showing their brakes stop you shorter if they actually did- but they don't do any such thing.

If you're still not sure, here's car and driver also telling you you're wrong (and also quoting a Brembo brake engineer ALSO telling you you're wrong!)

Shedding Light on Fading Brakes

Car and Driver said:
Our objective here was primarily to test brake fade, not stopping distances. Assuming a brake system is properly balanced, strong enough to lock a wheel, and not yet hot enough to fade, the stopping distance is largely a function of tire traction, not brakes. Think of it this way: All brake systems, stock and aftermarket, are able to activate the ABS, so how could a stronger brake shorten a stop? Eric Dahl, a brake engineer from Brembo, put it this way: "Don't expect the brake kits to stop you sooner, but expect the 20th lap to feel like the first."

As long as we are sharing links, here is one for a brake pad comparison: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAJ6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw3GnZeuxZtCNHlJerZtxuSF

For some reason the stopping distace is not the same for all pads.

Of course it's not- they're testing brake fade- that's why they do 10 stops back to back from speed. Notice how the distances (with the SAME pads) get longer after repeated stops? And some pads resist than fade better than others?

Which is exactly the one thing I mentioned pads can change. And why on a TRACK car this is pretty important.

As opposed to street driving where they make no difference because you aren't panic braking from high speed over and over and over again back to back to back.

Interestingly though- even THEN if you look at say the phase one 60mph data, none of the tested pads
In fact- I'm glad you mentioned this report, since the 2000 version explained why they stopped testing for single panic-stop braking distance in normal driving-

Link-
https://www.justnet.org/pdf/EvaluationBrakePads2000.pdf

NOTE: When braking to a targeted deceleration rate, where the speed of the vehicle is the same, the stopping distance should also theoretically be the same, making any measurement of stopping distance irrelevant

You know- just like I (and Brembo, Stoptech, and more) have all told you.

That fact is why they changed their testing to instead focus on things like pedal force, brake fade from heating over repeated heavy stops in a short time, and pad life.

It's the same reason Brembo explicitly tells you they don't even bother testing or reporting stopping distance- because a brake upgrade doesn't make any difference to it (unless it's a really crap brake kit that actually makes things worse... THAT is certainly possible for a few reasons... but they can't make it better)

Don't you think if their BBKS actually stop you shorter they'd advertise that? Instead they clearly tell you they don't...and instead focus on how they do handling brake fade and other things that brake upgrades can actually do and are typically only relevant on a race track.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunares and wenkan
This is a nonsensical sentence.

"too much motion energy for the brakes to engage ABS"?

Uh... no. I suggest you look into a book on how ABS works. ABS engages when the system detects slippage (ie the sensors, which are taking readings every few miliseconds, say a given wheel is decelerating more quickly than it's actually possible for the car to decelerate for example)
Indeed. Slippage happens, when there is enough braking force fo break the traction. Not before.

Nope- you've once again totally failed to understand how any of this works.

There's lots of ways to make stopping distance worse with aftermarket parts.

You just can't make it better.
Well, at least we can agree it's possible to change the performance. Kind of like Tesla did with their OTA update.

Of course it's not- they're testing brake fade- that's why they do 10 stops back to back from speed. Notice how the distances (with the SAME pads) get longer after repeated stops? And some pads resist than fade better than others?
Notice how there are differences in the braking distances between first tries. By your theory they all should stop at the same distance. Yet somehow some are better than others. Even better than OEM. See page 61.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: wenkan and Lunares
I'm really curious to hear your opinion on the difference between the 910 and 970. If the 910s are not enough I may pair the RB rotors with the 970s for track days and run 910s with stock rotors on the street.

For track I would recommend having at least 970 for the front. It is rotor friendly but with higher temperature limit than 910, with the tradeoff of more noise. However, on my drive home from track with 970 front, my brake stayed quiet the entire 60miles home. So the noise might not as bed as people said.

• Informative
I am running on XT970 for the past two weeks of street driving. After a proper bedding process, the brake is almost completely silent in street driving. The only time it squeaked a few times was braking while going backwards. Let’s see if this setup stays quiet after Laguna this Friday.

Braking power wise, I’m 95% confident this will be sufficient for my driving. I do have a backup full race pad for the front if the situation calls for it. ;)

Hey @beastmode13 , how are your XT970s holding up? I'm on my second track day with the XT910s and getting poor performance from them. Pulled them after first session and they are totally glazed over. Clearly not enough, wondering if I should get the 970s or go a different direction.

IMG_20191116_104205.jpg

Hey @beastmode13 , how are your XT970s holding up? I'm on my second track day with the XT910s and getting poor performance from them. Pulled them after first session and they are totally glazed over. Clearly not enough, wondering if I should get the 970s or go a different direction.

View attachment 477672
970 is doing fine after two days at BRP and one day at LS. In between I drove it on street for two months, which caused more wear on the pads than the 3 track days combine. XT970 provides huge amount of bite and progressively increases as the pad heats up into a braking zone. Its not as linear as I expected and experienced from other pads. So I end up over braking at end of long straights. With XT970 you can go a lot deeper into the braking zone before braking. The pad also has a soft feel at the pedal, but the stopping force is there. I attribute the soft pedal to slight brake fluid boil from the rear calipers, a bit disappointed at 3 month old Motul 660. I had rear caliper boil at end of the track days I had so far in M3. I think it’s just the way I use or over use the brakes. I will switch to Castro before Laguna in December. If I still get fluid boil issue with Castro, I will consider to upgrade the rear to one of the RB rear BBK.

@mcbarnet007 drove a few BRP laps in my car. Perhaps he can chime in on a comparison of XT970 with Endless EX90 pad on his car. Not quite Apple to Apple, as my pedal was already soft from fluid boil, and my car was around 60-50% SOC.

• Informative