Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racism allegation and discussion (out of MA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: neroden and PANN
A lie. Think about it, a drawing like that on a box mocking Black folks and no one snapped a photo?

I'd not dismiss it as a lie - unless you have a reason other than (apparent) lack of photo.
Then again, racism is everywhere, and many think they are not but are. I don't think there's an interview question to screen out racism...
Yes. Sometimes you are so shocked the first thing you do is not take photos.

I'd not dismiss it as a lie - unless you have a reason other than (apparent) lack of photo.

Even if it was true, 2016 called and said people give zero F since you can become the president of the US while running a racist corporation let alone a small company like Tesla.

This is an update to a previous report. If true, it is certainly reprehensible behavior on the part of the individuals racists. I strongly hope Tesla can quickly remediate the situation before it can take root as tolerated by the corporate culture.
There are more reports of racist behavior (esp. by blue collar workers) everywhere since 2016.

If the manager did receive the email but didn't follow up, that would be a big red flag.

Huh? All I'm saying is racism is abundant (in the world), and no way to screen out the bad ones in an interview. So maybe true, but no photo and for a Headline?

Sorry, a bit off topic but I guess it could hurt stock if FUD keeps echoing that Tesla has racism (but other companies don't?). That might be unfair bias IMO, so could also be a shorty straw grasping. Headlines usually involve shootings if you haven't noticed. So why Tesla over some street crap that's everywhere, daily? And an equally believable story there of Blacks working there 2 years and saw nothing of the sort. Suspicious is my point.

I did not click on the article, because I'm blocking the NYTimes. So my following is doubly parlous, but here goes.

Although I hope what we're seeing here is more nefarious garbage coming out of one of a number of usual suspects - could be emanating, for example, from UAW-type rabble rousers -

there is another possibility. Italicized because I admit I'm heading out on a limb...a very ugly limb.

I have very, very long experience in East Asia, and as much as remnant racism persists amongst North American caucasians, it is far more pervasive in East Asia, most particularly in China and Japan but I believe in Korea, too (where my knowledge is weakest). Such racism is most directly aimed at blacks.

IS THERE THE possibility that the employment structure at TeslaFremont is such that there could be a catalyzing toxic mix of EAsian-derived and black American employees? Does the very fact that I'm writing this suggest to anyone that I myself deserve a couple'a whacks across my noggin?

Huh? All I'm saying is racism is abundant (in the world), and no way to screen out the bad ones in an interview.
Not difficult either. But the company needs to make it a priority.

But you don't actually need to screen out in the interview. You have to just take quick action and let it be known that it won't be tolerated. Its not like places like Facebook or Google don't have any racists - but the racists there know they will be thrown out if they are vocal about it. So they keep it to themselves.

Not difficult either. But the company needs to make it a priority.

But you don't actually need to screen out in the interview. You have to just take quick action and let it be known that it won't be tolerated. Its not like places like Facebook or Google don't have any racists - but the racists there know they will be thrown out if they are vocal about it. So they keep it to themselves.

Please don't cater to this guy. He is obviously just trying to make himself feel better about something he has personally done. As a country, and as a group of people, this country has lambasted racism and shown that it will not be tolerated. Anyone that would think that Tesla or Elon Musk is a racist company/person is obviously NEVER going to be satisfied with equal treatment of ALL people.

Get onboard. Everyone is welcome. But the future is where we are going!!

Reactions: SuitNtie
LOL. You are joking, right ?
I never appreciate snide criticism. You chose the wrong word maven to snipe at. There is no poster on TMC who consistently writes more fastidiously than do I. To you, "remnant" may carry the connotation only of vestigial or minuscule, but, most especially in the context of contrast with which I carefully chose the word, it neatly balances the level of racism in the USA vs that present in East Asia - irrespective of the absolute amount.

Hakkiri wakaru kai?

Please don't cater to this guy. He is obviously just trying to make himself feel better about something he has personally done. As a country, and as a group of people, this country has lambasted racism and shown that it will not be tolerated. Anyone that would think that Tesla or Elon Musk is a racist company/person is obviously NEVER going to be satisfied with equal treatment of ALL people.

Get onboard. Everyone is welcome. But the future is where we are going!!

"As a country, and as a group of people, this country has lambasted racism and shown that it will not be tolerated."

this is total nonsense

My guess: No ***ing management. Some work area attracts racist jerks, they behave like racist jerks, and management is too disorganized, distracted, and absent to actually hear about, pay attention to, and deal with the problem. This level of dismanagement sounds like everything I've ever seen in Tesla management. I believe there's no ill intent from Tesla management, but we *know* how disorganized Tesla management is; they have some of the worst customer service I've ever seen due largely to failures of management, *specifically* dropping communications on the floor -- so of course they're going to have serious personnel issues in various areas due to similar failures of management/communications. Same stuff which led them to not deal properly with sexual harassment complaints (though Toledano seems to have fixed that before she left). It's the same type of failure, a communications/prioritization/management response failure.

Last edited:
If a newspaper story on racism in the workforce only focuses on one company and only relies on anecdotal evidence without attempting to quantify the prevalence and compare that to similar companies, then it is a hit piece.

And which newspaper published this? Oh yes, the New York Times, who has run one hit piece after another on Tesla for years. Including the infamous one of its reporter running out of charge on his road trip.

The New York Times has lost all credibility when it comes to reporting on Tesla. They put so much negative spin on anything Tesla-related that it creates a highly distorted picture. I grew up with this paper, and I am still a subscriber, but reading it these days is so disappointing!