Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining inside my 2-week-old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a related experience today, on my 2nd time through a car wash since I took delivery on Friday.

At some point the rear right door decided it had been opened, so the window went down to the door opening height (about an inch down). The door itself didn’t mechanically open, but the window wouldn’t roll all the way back up. It obviously let water rain down within the vehicle as the sprayer came by.

after the car wash was over, I went out, opened the door, rolled the window down and up. No dice. Still stuck 1” down like it does when you open the door.

proceeded to drive home. Car thought door was open the whole way, so it made an annoying audible alert the full 8 miles and prevented use of autopilot etc.

just before I got home, the window rolled itself up and the alerts stopped.

no idea, but obviously worried this is going to happen anytime I apply water to that side of the car now!

think I’m gonna continue to put the car through water intrusion tests during my whole 7 day return window

Last edited:
I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...
It would be unusual for Tesla to accept a return more than 7 days after delivery. I believe they will fix it under warranty. But you should be sure everything that got wet gets replaced because it's no good to have mold. You might use the prospect of mold if you're arguing about replacement of the car.

If this is a serious as has been described, in Europe this would just be “goods not fit for purpose”. It’s not a Return in the sense of “I’m returning my car”, it’s “this car is not fit for purpose so you are replacing it”.

What are the US laws in this sense ?

This whole 7 days / 100 miles thing seems like Tesla invented it - in Europe/UK we get years of consumer protection if the facts support it.

Reactions: EVNation
If this is a serious as has been described, in Europe this would just be “goods not fit for purpose”. It’s not a Return in the sense of “I’m returning my car”, it’s “this car is not fit for purpose so you are replacing it”.

What are the US laws in this sense ?

This whole 7 days / 100 miles thing seems like Tesla invented it - in Europe/UK we get years of consumer protection if the facts support it.
We have lemon laws in the US...I think I have to give Tesla a chance to remedy it...but, uh, would you want a car that's had this issue???

I had a related experience today, on my 2nd time through a car wash since I took delivery on Friday.

At some point the rear right door decided it had been opened, so the window went down to the door opening height (about an inch down). The door itself didn’t mechanically open, but the window wouldn’t roll all the way back up. It obviously let water rain down within the vehicle as the sprayer came by.

after the car wash was over, I went out, opened the door, rolled the window down and up. No dice. Still stuck 1” down like it does when you open the door.

proceeded to drive home. Car thought door was open the whole way, so it made an annoying audible alert the full 8 miles and prevented use of autopilot etc.

just before I got home, the window rolled itself up and the alerts stopped.

no idea, but obviously worried this is going to happen anytime I apply water to that side of the car now!

I had the same (or similar) problem with my model 3. After a wash my right door decided to “open”, window down. Then went to the Tesla service center in Oslo, about15 min drive. The only problem was that by the time I arrived it worked again. So went home, washed the car, happened again, and filmed it. Drove back to Tesla center and they took the car. At attempt nr 3 (3-4 days later) they managed to fix the issue.
This was written in the service notes: “Inspected and found that the front right door harness needed replacement, performed wash and test of door handles after and confirmed they work as expected now.”. As with QA in Tesla I asked them to perform a wash to verify. The previous 2 times they handed it back saying it was fixed without any verification.
I sold the car and waiting for Y to arrive in Norway. When ever that is. Just hope most of the issues are ok by then.

I had something like this happen with a new 2011 VW Tiguan. Water pouring in and soaking the rear headliner during a rain storm.

Turns out, a panoramic sunroof drain line had popped off. VW took everything apart, replaced some stuff, dried out some other stuff, reattached the drain, and sent me on my way. They had it about 3 days. Never leaked a drop after that, and I still have the car.

Hopefully they can patch this up quick so you can enjoy your MY.

I would take it straight to a Service Center and get the issue on record. Let them know you intend to get a new car. Next I'd contact Tesla through Live Chat. This will put it on record with them in a different way. Tell them the issue and what you want done about it. Don't let them lead the conversation. If necessary, ask to be referred higher. Then, throw in the "I'll be speaking with our attorney about this." Be sure and print the conversation. Copy/paste it and email it to yourself. You should get immediate action. If not, consult that attorney.

I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...
After paying nearly 2x as much for the X - as the model y? And being plagued with Grievous things like this? Some would say you got off easier than many of us. Sure - supposedly we could have gone the lemon route, but at some point you see more value in subsequent buyers taking on your burden so that the lack of quality & corrective service slowness awareness becomes more widespread.
fitNfinish.jpg

Welcome to the world of early adapters.