Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think part of the reason Tesla decided to go "grill-less" is to make the grill look obsolete. I've personally started noticing that grills on SUVs are already beginning to look archaic to me reminding me of the archaic technology behind it.

I think Tesla is making a statement and soon the grill will be associated with the past.

I agree. This is another case of function leads form. We do not usually give it a thought but everything we think is aesthetically pleasing, big fat tires, low and wide stance, prominent multi-tailpipes,... is because we can tie it to function and performance. Pretty soon some of them, overemphasized grill and tailpipes, will go out of fashion when people tie them to the antiquated technology and inferior performance.

Edit: One more thing. We used to think a lot of buttons and switches look good in a car or on an appliance because we tie that look to enhanced functionality. That, largely due to employment of computers and touch screens, has changed for appliances and mobile phones and soon will be for automobiles.

Last edited:
Look again at FlatSix's pix of #611:

there are a series of what look very much like alignment dots - but not exactly - along the trailing edge of the FWD and its quarter panel neighbor, and along the bottom of the quarter panel. They're far too regular to be dirt smudges, although those also exist, and they're on both the left and right sides.

On edit: the bottom quarter panel ones are, I now think, just dirt.

I agree. This is another case of function leads form. We do not usually give it a thought but everything we think is aesthetically pleasing, big fat tires, low and wide stance, prominent multi-tailpipes,... is because we can tie it to function and performance. Pretty soon some of them, overemphasized grill and tailpipes, will go out of fashion when people tie them to the antiquated technology and inferior performance.

Bingo

Look again at FlatSix's pix of #611:

there are a series of what look very much like alignment dots - but not exactly - along the trailing edge of the FWD and its quarter panel neighbor, and along the bottom of the quarter panel. They're far too regular to be dirt smudges, although those also exist, and they're on both the left and right sides.

On edit: the bottom quarter panel ones are, I now think, just dirt.
I don't think they're just dirt. They look almost like someone went around with a sharpie to call out panel gap fit issues or something of the sort.

Saw an X feeding in its natural habitat this morning. At the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.

f4c9a05a54c16a1c2c5272fc478fb8e0.jpg

This is what I would consider hideous.

View attachment 112331

This is is sleek.

View attachment 112332

Maybe it is just personal preference. The current design trend to create ever more aggressive and outlandish front grills has morphed into cartoonish. I much prefer a clean sleek look rather than an angry kitchen appliance look.

Both look great to me, but I prefer the Model X's look.

- - - Updated - - -

Atlanta area
56104458360ad20d93f7b00ea761925a.jpg
This guy sure is electrifying with a Model X, Model S, and a Leaf!

Titanium Metallic Model X on Falls Road in Potomac, MD around 1:00pm today. I was going in opposite direction, so I couldn't see much. First one I've ever seen. Surprised at how close it looked in size to the S. Thought it would look bigger. Beautiful car though.

I think they let us drive yours Saturday at the event, Scott - Blue with tan, right?
J/k, it was a 7-seat with no Sig badging...
Just changed my Sig res to production today, sigh...what's a few more months, right?
Haha. Yes, blue-exterior, tan-seats, black-headliner, carbon fiber.

That is a good call on switching to GenProd. If I had more sense and knowing the delay of the Sig I probably would make a different decision. My wife is too good to me. When I had to take the P(erf)90D option we discussed Lud. Since we were keeping the car over 10 years, she said the extra cost wouldn't change our lifes. I was logged in and set that configuration option probably before she finished the sentence! Normally I'm quite sensible. I've lost it on this car tho.

Yesterday morning I saw a black Model X on the Dumbarton bridge. Day before that was a different black one in Palo Alto (who attracted a small group of interested people with the falcon doors). Day before that was a white X in San Jose. Three sightings in three days made me happy.

I have been following this forum and Tesla's development, and just come back from the Geneva Motor Show. Since the Model X on display has featured in above video, maybe a "random" peek over the Tesla booth's walls showing the stalking heads might be of interest? for myself, I was impressed by the interior, with fit & finish of the show model at least leaving nothing to be desired.

DSC00911 (Large).jpg