Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range in winter conditions and mountain driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From recent travel in a variety of conditions - the attached chart shows the relative efficiency of my X at different temperatures. In cold weather - I use the seat heaters and have the cabin temperature set to 68. Highway driving is typically 65 to 70 mph. I was surprised by the energy consumption levels at very low temperatures. The source of this data is TeslaFi which I now subscribe to. It provides very good insight.

efficieny.png

b_rad

I'm curious why you are considering winter tires. I also have 20" with All Season.

So far, I've been very pleased with the performance in snow/ice.
I too have been happy with the stock all seasons. However having experienced the difference between winter tires and all season tires, they add a lot of stability and control (and confidence) when driving in poor conditions. We drive over Cameron pass so much that I want to be prepared for the worst.

It would be really cool to do a side-by-side comparison at the steamboat winter driving school!

Reactions: KJD
I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd add that I got stuck in Walden this weekend on my way to Fort Collins from Steamboat due to a storm. There is a small motel on the north edge of town that has RV parking spots with hookups. The hookups have 50 amp 14-50 outlets, and the owners of the motel were very friendly about letting me charge. "Pay whatever you think is fair" is what they said. They probably wouldn't have charged anything if I was staying there, but all of the hotels in town were full.

On a related note, we got stuck because the storm came in about 30 mins before we arrived in Walden and the road was icy/slushy heading north to Laramie. This was our first experience with winter driving in our MS85D on the stock Primacy tires, and it was terrifying. The car pulled to one side or the other almost constantly whenever we weren't on dryish pavement. As soon as we started to climb and the road was consistently covered we turned around. I've never experienced anything like it and I've driven on snow and ice a LOT. I'm probably on the last 1/3rd of the tread, so I wasn't expecting anything great, but this was genuinely scary. I'm going to get the alignment checked when I get back to Ft Collins, and I'll definitely be getting snow tires.

Heading out around noon today to try again. Fingers crossed...

I just put in my order for a X90D but before I confirm I wanted to check and see if anyone has data on efficiency loss while driving in the mountains in the the winter.

I live in ft Collins, CO and have family in Steamboat Springs and will be doing that drive rather frequently. It is 155 miles over two mountain passes (can also go up through Laramie to avoid Cameron pass with a total mileage of 186) .

I think the range will be plenty for summer driving (and evtripplanner seems to agree). My only concern is for when road conditions are bad, it's -10° and snowing.

Anyone have data/info on range in conditions like this? Thanks for any info

I'm a new model X owner. the fuel guage and battery meter are confusing. on a typical day, the fuel guage says 210 miles. the battery graph meter CONSTANTLY changes. starts out at around 180 miles.....after 10 miles it might go down to 110 miles if i'm driving in stop/go...then goes back up to maybe 150 miles.
how the heck do I know the real range IF MY DRIVING VARIES FROM STOP/GO TO HIGHWAY.

E.G. if i'm going to make a 100 mile trip and the graph/guage says "130 miles" am I safe to go.

On a related note, we got stuck because the storm came in about 30 mins before we arrived in Walden and the road was icy/slushy heading north to Laramie. This was our first experience with winter driving in our MS85D on the stock Primacy tires, and it was terrifying. The car pulled to one side or the other almost constantly whenever we weren't on dryish pavement. As soon as we started to climb and the road was consistently covered we turned around. I've never experienced anything like it and I've driven on snow and ice a LOT. I'm probably on the last 1/3rd of the tread, so I wasn't expecting anything great, but this was genuinely scary. I'm going to get the alignment checked when I get back to Ft Collins, and I'll definitely be getting snow tires.
It turns out the rear tread was virtually gone in the center (which wasn't visible without getting under the back of the car). This is a CPO car that was delivered in June with less than 6k of our miles on it. Total mileage is 22k. Tires were never overinflated during our ownership.

Tesla Service towed in the car, replaced the tires, and performed an alignment (rear toe was a little bit off) all for free. We are delighted with our first Service experience!

Reactions: Big Earl
It turns out the rear tread was virtually gone in the center (which wasn't visible without getting under the back of the car). This is a CPO car that was delivered in June with less than 6k of our miles on it. Total mileage is 22k. Tires were never overinflated during our ownership.

Tesla Service towed in the car, replaced the tires, and performed an alignment (rear toe was a little bit off) all for free. We are delighted with our first Service experience!

Nice to know the reason for poor traction!

We drove through Walden later that day but coming from Cameron Pass. Coming over Cameron the roads were snow covered but still fine. Tires handled well but not as good as last year when they were brand new (i now have 10k miles on them). There were a couple patches of black ice between Walden and Cameron that made things exciting. Ordered some Nokian R2s and looking forward to having them for the upcoming winter.

I'm seeing a lot more Teslas in Foco these days. Came out of home depot one day to find the same color MX parked next to me. Another time I saw two Teslas coming down Poudre Canyon.

Ah, that sounds more like it. That behavior or pulling to the left or right while trying to drive straight didn't sound like loss of grip from all season versus winter tire, but seemed more like slight off and on hydroplaning over the thick built-up slush you mentioned, and lack of tread would do that more.

Reactions: Mike in CO
Nice to know the reason for poor traction!

We drove through Walden later that day but coming from Cameron Pass. Coming over Cameron the roads were snow covered but still fine. Tires handled well but not as good as last year when they were brand new (i now have 10k miles on them). There were a couple patches of black ice between Walden and Cameron that made things exciting. Ordered some Nokian R2s and looking forward to having them for the upcoming winter.

I'm seeing a lot more Teslas in Foco these days. Came out of home depot one day to find the same color MX parked next to me. Another time I saw two Teslas coming down Poudre Canyon.

This probably won't be the last trip to Steamboat in the MS. Where do you charge your MX at Steamboat?

This probably won't be the last trip to Steamboat in the MS. Where do you charge your MX at Steamboat?
I have family there and installed a HPWC at their place. PM me if you are ever in a bind and need a place to charge.

I've also charged at the parking deck at the base of the ski mountain. Looks like steamboat is also supposed to be getting a supercharger sometime in 2018!

I have family there and installed a HPWC at their place. PM me if you are ever in a bind and need a place to charge.

I've also charged at the parking deck at the base of the ski mountain. Looks like steamboat is also supposed to be getting a supercharger sometime in 2018!

I will never be anywhere near there - but that's a kind offer and is indicative of the generosity of this community.

Thank you.