Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range is missing 30 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up my brand new 2020 model long range dual motor yesterday. First time at a supercharger right now and charging to 100%.

Its almost fully charged and when I play with the slider it says max charge is 310, fluctuating +/- 1

But it advertises as 345 miles right? Am I misunderstanding something here? Where's the other 30 miles of range?

Is it a daft question to double check you haven’t charged to 90%?

Saying that I charged my performance to 90% and range was 280 which equates to 310 miles. Advertised as 325 miles.

Model 3 LR is rated at 348 miles based on the WLTP standard (that's what they use in the UK). I think the range they advertise is generally unrealistic.. EPA used in North America advertises 322 which makes more sense.

Noooo. don't charge to 100% unless you can get it back down under 90 before you park up.

Car does not understand range as 345 miles - that marketing bs just like 70mpg - its a way to compare vehicles, no more, no less.

Car will initially delivered at around 310 miles (some newer versions may be slightly more different), but this changes slightly over time, or even by software version. But even so, its not your range - it will be if you average 225W/mile, but you are unlikely to do that this time of year, or on short runs, or, ..... lots of reasons. Just not like getting the rated.

So moral of story is, if you get 225Wh/mile, you will get close to 325 miles, if you do better (less), you will get closer to 34x, but more than likely, you will be much less.

As car won't change max 310 miles it displays except if car detects conditions not optimal to battery - wear, temp, just because it feels like it, etc, so don't bother with it. Stops you panicing even more when it drops below 300 miles. Set the display to % - just like a fuel gauge. Then keep charge ideally between 20 and 90%. Its not a patrol/gas car so don't expect it to behave the same. Don't fill it up to max, or leave till empty. Top it up less but often - hopefully you have charge point at home do you can do that whilst you sleep. Something you could never do with a petrol/diesel.

Last edited:
Exactly. The range displayed is more or less based on US EPA range. Marketing literature in Europe is mandated to use the WLTP average. Both use a mix of low speed “city” driving and faster road and motorway driving, with AC and heating switched off.

Both aren't representative of real range on motorways, especially in winter. To get a better sense of that, use the Energy app that you can pop up.

Good thing: the real range will improve with the weather ;-).

Noooo. don't charge to 100% unless you can get it back down under 90 before you park up.

Car does not understand range as 345 miles - that marketing bs just like 70mpg - its a way to compare vehicles, no more, no less.

Car will initially delivered at around 310 miles (some newer versions may be slightly more different), but this changes slightly over time, or even by software version. But even so, its not your range - it will be if you average 225W/mile, but you are unlikely to do that this time of year, or on short runs, or, ..... lots of reasons. Just not like getting the rated.

So moral of story is, if you get 225Wh/mile, you will get close to 325 miles, if you do better (less), you will get closer to 34x, but more than likely, you will be much less.

As car won't change max 310 miles it displays except if car detects conditions not optimal to battery - wear, temp, just because it feels like it, etc, so don't bother with it. Stops you panicing even more when it drops below 300 miles. Set the display to % - just like a fuel gauge. Then keep charge ideally between 20 and 90%. Its not a patrol/gas car so don't expect it to behave the same. Don't fill it up to max, or leave till empty. Top it up less but often - hopefully you have charge point at home do you can do that whilst you sleep. Something you could never do with a petrol/diesel.
This advice is spot on.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Should show 310 however I only get 298 at 100% which is a little annoying but I don't go by the miles left as its never been accurate for me!

As is ours at present. Not sure what the huge dip was caused by, but hoping it will take an upturn when weather improves or a software update. Will probably benefit from letting SOC get less than 20% to allow BMS to have a bit of a rethink calibration wise - I think we only gone fractionally below 20% on one occasion.

upload_2020-3-7_18-41-32.png

Courtesy of TeslaFi battery report beta and a few changes in options to make comparison more representative - bigger sample set and keeping things to within 5C and 250 miles.

Reactions: Rooster6655
If you’re not supposed to charge to 100% because it actually causes damage, why doesn’t the car just make 100% equivalent to 90% real charge?

I currently climatise my i3 every weekday in the morning which knocks off about 2%, would it be safe to charge the M3 to 95% instead?

I’m getting a M3P so I want max power at all times if I can achieve it, so I’ll be aiming to precondition the battery in the morning as well.

I’m charging to 90%. Assume that’s similar to others?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. Elon says so after all!

I've decided to mix things up a bit (based on nothing more than "technical intuition"). I started off at a consistent 90% but because my pattern of use is unpredictable I might go a full day without using the car. I decided to drop my routine charging to around the 80% mark or if we've used a fair percentage on a day but not expecting much the following day I might drop to 75% or so to keep with our 4 hour super-cheap Octopus cheap rate, then top up to 80% or 90% the following night. 100% is for the rare planned extra-long journey. Though going high or low in the percentages frequently is not recommended I think it is important to do it just occasionally ... the battery management system needs to know where the limits are.

I could be completely wrong and this is completely unnecessary but I do have a reputation for having battery devices that have survived for longer than the average! I have a hard drive gen5 iPod from 2004 that still has very useful battery life ... I only recently replaced my laptop battery that is 9 years old and was still capable of running for about 4 hours but I wanted it back to "good as new".

Reactions: Roy W.
As is ours at present. Not sure what the huge dip was caused by, but hoping it will take an upturn when weather improves or a software update. Will probably benefit from letting SOC get less than 20% to allow BMS to have a bit of a rethink calibration wise - I think we only gone fractionally below 20% on one occasion.

View attachment 519155
Courtesy of TeslaFi battery report beta and a few changes in options to make comparison more representative - bigger sample set and keeping things to within 5C and 250 miles.

I don't go by the milage that it shows but it is still annoying, I had previously got to lower than 20% so maybe I'll try it again!