Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a change is battery composition had anything to do with it.

Tesla increases range and price of the Model 3 Long Range - Electrek

That's not a good example of anything. The LR RWD Model 3 with aero rims has an EPA test at 331 miles, but the mfg can choose to use a blended rate if they want - which is what Tesla did. They gave 310 miles to all of their LR models.

Giving us 325 miles was not a range increase, it was just a readout change. If Tesla could actually give us a range increase, it would have applied to all the long range models and not just the RWD, since they all have the same battery hardware.

Reactions: duanra
I don't think a change is battery composition had anything to do with it.

Tesla increases range and price of the Model 3 Long Range - Electrek

That article definitely gave a lot of people a false hope, check out the discussion in the following thread and some poster pointed out the error in that article:
Range increase (split from Master Thread: 2019.40.2)

In newer cars Tesla is using a different constant to calculate rated range, meaning most likely the newer cars are physically more efficient than older ones hence the slightly higher rated range. I agree I don't think battery composition is any different, but to be frank I don't think the range increase will retroactively applied to older cars. I think at 8,600 miles and one year old it's incredible that your car is able to get 309 rated miles, that's literally no degradation and probably better than many brand new ones. I think if anything you should be extremely happy.

That article definitely gave a lot of people a false hope, check out the discussion in the following thread and some poster pointed out the error in that article:
Range increase (split from Master Thread: 2019.40.2)

In newer cars Tesla is using a different constant to calculate rated range, meaning most likely the newer cars are physically more efficient than older ones hence the slightly higher rated range. I agree I don't think battery composition is any different, but to be frank I don't think the range increase will retroactively applied to older cars. I think at 8,600 miles and one year old it's incredible that your car is able to get 309 rated miles, that's literally no degradation and probably better than many brand new ones. I think if anything you should be extremely happy.

In my very new 2020 P3D-, I get 279 mi at 90% which comes out to 306 mi at 100%. Frankly I don't know if this is normal or not as I cant find any official specs for a P3D-.

Then again it gets cold now in Nor Cal and I drive short and erratic amounts (no commute as I work from home). The BMS must be totally confused.

Anyone know what my rated range should be? Driving the way I do, getting 50-60% of that should be good.

In my very new 2020 P3D-, I get 279 mi at 90% which comes out to 306 mi at 100%. Frankly I don't know if this is normal or not as I cant find any official specs for a P3D-.

Then again it gets cold now in Nor Cal and I drive short and erratic amounts (no commute as I work from home). The BMS must be totally confused.

Anyone know what my rated range should be? Driving the way I do, getting 50-60% of that should be good.

When you say it comes out to 306 at 100%, do you mean you charged it to 100% and it shows 306 or you are doing the math that it would be 306 at 100%? Because 279 @90% will give you 310 @ 100% which is what I am getting at my 2020 P3D as well.

Reactions: PACEMD
That's 10% loss from original 264 mile range in one-year. Just what Tesla says occurs: 10% loss first year and 5% second year.

I'm not complaining. Just reporting.
It might not be that bad. The reported range seems to change based off of ambient temperatures.

As we are now in the colder months of the year.. you will see a significant loss of range.

See where you are at in May or June for your true loss of capacity.

It might not be that bad. The reported range seems to change based off of ambient temperatures.

As we are now in the colder months of the year.. you will see a significant loss of range.

See where you are at in May or June for your true loss of capacity.

At this rate, we are all going to get a new battery by the 5th year of ownership.
I don't think temperature has nothing to do with the estimated displayed range.
Last Winter I had 264 miles at 100%. (MR car). It started to decrease during the Summer. I am now showing 4% decrease.

Just got delivery of my 2020 Model 3 LR AWD and when charging and selecting the charge slider limit, I set it to 100% and it estimated at only 309/310 miles. Is this normal for a brand new car?

I thought the new Model 3 LR AWD have 322 miles rated? Did I get a lemon battery? Should I schedule a service with Tesla to check it out or is the estimate off?

FYI, I just updated to latest 2019.40.2.1

Just got delivery of my 2020 Model 3 LR AWD and when charging and selecting the charge slider limit, I set it to 100% and it estimated at only 309/310 miles. Is this normal for a brand new car?

I thought the new Model 3 LR AWD have 322 miles rated? Did I get a lemon battery? Should I schedule a service with Tesla to check it out or is the estimate off?

FYI, I just updated to latest 2019.40.2.1

310 is normal (as is a little less than 310)

The 322 for some reason recently was updated on the website. The reason for the website change is unclear.
Telsa not known for clear communication so need to wait patiently to see why the change occurred online.
EPA rating change, future update coming ; it is all speculation at this point in time.

My car displays 258mi at 90% charge. 0.9*310 = 279. 258/279 = 92.5%. I have 18K miles on my car. When I charge to 100% it reaches what the car says is 98% and then refuses to charge any more no matter how long I plug it in. So for a full charge I am really down about 10% on capacity if you believe the software.

Add to that my lifetime average is 321wh/mi (275's R and 255's F) and I have an actual 10-90% cruising range of ~200miles. I dont know about the rest of you but after 3 hours in the car my back is stiff and I have to PEE. Not sure what I would do with another 100 miles of range, diaper and advil?

Gee, batteries degrade over time? Meh, still goes like a bat outta hell and drives me to work and home. Think ill keep it.

For long trips I take a different vehicle anyway, the 3 is short on ground clearance.
3jCMjDwm.jpg

Last edited:
i bought my model 3 in aug 2018. After the software upgrade I only got 316 miles when charged to 100%. Last night I got only 312 miles from 5% SOC to 100%. A 4% degradation within 10 months? Have others degraded similarly?
I have been using Model 3 LR for almost year now. I almost never get the miles the charging indicator indicates. I would say at best on a full charge I get no more than 180 - 200 miles on a single charge.

When you say it comes out to 306 at 100%, do you mean you charged it to 100% and it shows 306 or you are doing the math that it would be 306 at 100%? Because 279 @90% will give you 310 @ 100% which is what I am getting at my 2020 P3D as well.

My math goof: charged to 90% and got 279. Would then theoretically be 310.

I’m not complaining - rather am not sure what range I’m supposed to get with a P3D-.