Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have my LR for 12 months and did 38'000km in Switzerland. (24'000miles). At daily 80% it shows +/- 374km = 234 miles. 100% would be 292. Same same.
They (Tesla) say a drop of 3-10% is expected or “normal.” Plus, Tesla changes some algorithms on computation. So, weather temperature, driving habits, speed, tire pressure, wind, auxiliary energy use all factor in the “range” of your vehicle. It’s too much to try and replicate exact conditions. I finally got over my compulsive (disorder) focus and just drive and enjoy the ride. Every.Single.Time!

• Disagree
Reactions: mrgoogle
My car API shows only 283 mile range at 28K miles an 1 year old. I made an appointment for the calculated amperage capacity reset. Here is the text I got yesterday from Tesla service:

Performed remote diagnosis on the high voltage (HV) battery. During testing found the battery management system is operating without fault at this time. During review of driving habits I found for the last 27,470 miles the wh/mi where 281wh/mi. For max driving range the vehicle needs to be at 245 Wh/mi. During the review of the charging habits of the vehicle it was noted the vehicle is not being deep cycled often. Technician recommends setting the charge limit to 80% or 90% and not plugging in the vehicle until it reaches 20% . This will allow the battery management system to make the best estimate of displayed range. The HV battery performing optimally based on fleet averages. No repairs are needed at this time, displayed range is purely an estimated value based on operating conditions and ambient conditions.

They then cancelled my appointment. So these guys are saying essentially that the rated range is based upon my driving history. This contradicts what I have read on this forum before. :( Not sure what to belive at this point.

We got the exact same statement when we had the battery checked on in my wife's car. I do not think they are saying that your history of higher than the canonical 245 Watt hours per mile is responsible for your loss of range. They are saying that the loss of range is inside Fleet average and expected battery degradation. If higher than canonical 245 Watt hours per mile was somehow responsible for loss of range that would mean that the guys tracking the car would have an estimated range of 50 to 100 miles. And that's not what's happening.

One data point doesn’t mean it’s a trend. Curious to see how this plays out over the next few days, but after upgrading to the latest firmware I’ve experienced what I think is substantial loss. Thoughts here?View attachment 492721

We believe we experienced the same kind of range loss in that December firmware update. Although our cars were a little bit older. We had experienced a little bit more battery degradation but then on top of that I think this is some kind of BMS recalibration or perhaps conservation strategy so that Tesla can avoid battery warranty claims. It's not clear so conspiracy theories and just ordinary speculation of course fill the vacuum

• Funny
Reactions: gcmak
2019 M3 on 2020.4.1 with 8600 miles we’re only getting 260 miles on daily and 292 on trip. Installing 2020.8.2 now. Should I expect an increase in range as I saw in my X Raven?

I seem to remember we were getting 310 on trip charge when new six months ago. That’s a ~2.6% loss in range within a short time.

And wondering if expected range calibrates automatically based on driving and conditions. Living in the mountains during winter takes its toll on range...

2019 Model 3 - just a few days shy of its 1st birthday.

"90%: set it and forget it" charging routine since day 1...

Range estimator showing 273 miles @ 90%. That's 304 at full. Just a little under 2% less than brand new. At this rate, in 2040, I'll only be able to go 190 miles on a charge, but the conventional wisdom says it kinda levels off from here... so check with me in 2040 and we'll see whether we're above or below the trendline.

36562 miles, September 2018 delivery. 272 miles @ 90% and 243 miles @ 80% as of this morning.

looks like you my friend have a diamond in the rough....never let her go!! Hah

I’m curious....what’s your lifetime wh/mile? Charging habits? Total miles is just part of the story. 36k with lifetime 330 wh/mile isn’t really the same as 36k with 230 wh/mile.

looks like you my friend have a diamond in the rough....never let her go!! Hah

I’m curious....what’s your lifetime wh/mile? Charging habits? Total miles is just part of the story. 36k with lifetime 330 wh/mile isn’t really the same as 36k with 230 wh/mile.

~290 wh/mi give or take. Lots of highway, and I do live in the midwest, so it gets cold in the winter. Plus the car has "Performance" in its name, I drive it as such. I plug in every time it's in the garage, my typical commute (in pre-virus days) is ~76 miles round trip. Depends on my mood, but I usually charge to 80 or 90% with the scheduled departure set for just before I leave the house.

Range estimator showing 273 miles @ 90%. That's 304 at full. Just a little under 2% less than brand new. At this rate, in 2040, I'll only be able to go 190 miles on a charge, but the conventional wisdom says it kinda levels off from here... so check with me in 2040 and we'll see whether we're above or below the trendline.
2020 Model 3 - approaching 10K miles [11/01/19 delivery]
"90%: set and forget routine"
Range: 276-279 at 90% - 322 at 100%

What I have experienced is seasonality, and I live in San Francisco where we don't have really more than 2 seasons. My car has bounced between 295 and 312mi at 100%. It really depends on ambient temps and the [assumed] changing algorithms used by Tesla. It's taken many months for me to adopt the mentality that I simply will not be driving 300 miles, so unless there's a sudden massive drop in capacity, I'm just not going to worry about it. I live mostly in % charge now, since the range assumes 100% efficiency...which I absolutely do not hit with my setup and driving style.

Reactions: Xeux and KenC
What I have experienced is seasonality, and I live in San Francisco where we don't have really more than 2 seasons. My car has bounced between 295 and 312mi at 100%. It really depends on ambient temps and the [assumed] changing algorithms used by Tesla. It's taken many months for me to adopt the mentality that I simply will not be driving 300 miles, so unless there's a sudden massive drop in capacity, I'm just not going to worry about it. I live mostly in % charge now, since the range assumes 100% efficiency...which I absolutely do not hit with my setup and driving style.

Well, exactly. Unless you're planning to coast in on volts, it doesn't matter. So long as there's enough in the battery to get me where I'm going, when I need to be there... it doesn't matter.

I don't like the % view (I'm also the guy who leaves the multi-function display on gas cars to the "XXX miles to empty" approximator) - but it really doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. I'm not driving 300 miles in one sitting ...

Reactions: gcmak
Well, exactly. Unless you're planning to coast in on volts, it doesn't matter. So long as there's enough in the battery to get me where I'm going, when I need to be there... it doesn't matter.

I don't like the % view (I'm also the guy who leaves the multi-function display on gas cars to the "XXX miles to empty" approximator) - but it really doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. I'm not driving 300 miles in one sitting ...
Having driven a few Model S, I like that car's option to toggle between estimated range and rated range. Still not sure why Tesla has not enabled that for Model 3. The Estimated range was much more accurate.

2018/11 build LR AWD with only 5k miles.
Lifetime efficiency at 295Wh/mi. Starting end of last year, my range keeps dropping and now I’m getting 277 @100%. The car has always been at 70-90% charge everyday.

Anyone has idea if this is real battery degradation? I’m starting to get worried and scheduled an SC appointment to check.

2018/11 build LR AWD with only 5k miles.
Lifetime efficiency at 295Wh/mi. Starting end of last year, my range keeps dropping and now I’m getting 277 @100%. The car has always been at 70-90% charge everyday.

Anyone has idea if this is real battery degradation? I’m starting to get worried and scheduled an SC appointment to check.

With that build date I’m Presuming you took delivery around December 2018? That’s very low mileage @5k miles. What SOC do you keep it at when parked? Maybe you need to do some calibration charges? But with such little use it’s going to take you a long time heh.

With that build date I’m Presuming you took delivery around December 2018? That’s very low mileage @5k miles. What SOC do you keep it at when parked? Maybe you need to do some calibration charges? But with such little use it’s going to take you a long time heh.

Actually took delivery Nov 2018 right after the car was built, I live fairly close to Fremont factory in Bay Area. My commute is couple miles per day and we have another leased car to add miles. Car is always kept at ~80% SOC. Saw some members here are getting ~280 when fully charged at 100% on their AWD as well, so hoping anyone can shed some light. I feel that 27x miles at 100% for a lightly used battery is not normal, maybe I should try to calibrate and see.

Actually took delivery Nov 2018 right after the car was built, I live fairly close to Fremont factory in Bay Area. My commute is couple miles per day and we have another leased car to add miles. Car is always kept at ~80% SOC. Saw some members here are getting ~280 when fully charged at 100% on their AWD as well, so hoping anyone can shed some light. I feel that 27x miles at 100% for a lightly used battery is not normal, maybe I should try to calibrate and see.
You don't drive much, could be totally BMS drift. If the SC appt doesn't give you any answers, you can try recalibrating, but that seems more miss than hit. I would also consider changing your charging strategy. There's no pattern that I can see in why one car does better than another. Some people charge to 90% all the time, and some charge to 60% all the time. Works for some, doesn't work for others. You can only try. If you charge to 80%, sounds good to me, but it's more prone to BMS drift. I'd try keeping it at 90% SOC for a couple weeks, and if that doesn't help, change to something like 60% or 70%.

I own a LR-AWD, 10/2018, 10k+ miles. I started charging to 90%, since I got it in Winter; then changed to 80% in late Winter, when I realized I didn't drive that much; then changed to 60% in Summer, after reading the battery deg, scientifically explained, thread. Battery Degradation Scientifically Explained I charge to 80 or 90 if I need to make a trip. I don't baby it, I've taken it under 10%, and I got it when it was zero SOC. So, if I've been more careful, it's only because I thought I should take better care of it.

I didn't have deg when I started, and I haven't had any still. Anywhere from 308 to 312 miles. Can't say why, just luck, probably.

Reactions: zonela