Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would appear to be the case. I expected a 5% range decrease over the first year based on the way batteries work, so I'm not freaking out. We'll see if it tapers off. If not, then Tesla will be replacing my battery. Luckily when I purchased my car it had the 8yr/120k mile battery warranty, so I'm not worried.

It would appear to be the case. I expected a 5% range decrease over the first year based on the way batteries work, so I'm not freaking out. We'll see if it tapers off. If not, then Tesla will be replacing my battery. Luckily when I purchased my car it had the 8yr/120k mile battery warranty, so I'm not worried.
I hear you and I am facing an unusual drop of range too. However even with warranty I would hate to be stuck with a reduced range for a while, like 80 % range for a MR which could be challenging for some road trips in Canada during winter time.

Interesting, what software version do you have ?

I have said this on multiple versions of these type threads, but I have my charge set to 90%, and plug my car in every time it hits my garage. "Every time I hit my garage" is usually when I get home from work, but if i run errands in my car on the weekend, I plug in each time I get back. I have a roughly 80 mile round trip commute for work.

I have supercharged the car roughly 3 -4 times, all within the first 2 weeks of ownership as I was waiting for my wall connector install. I have charged to 100% maybe 3-4 times total. Once near the beginning of ownership to "check it" and car only charged to 306. Tried "re balancing" it a week after that and charged again to 100% because "there must be something wrong with my car as it only charges to 306 instead of 310!!!!"

Took it to tesla, they told me "its normal, give it time". Didnt believe them and left frustrated. Just decided to ignore it, and keep driving. Couple months later, needed to drive to L.A from San Diego, and drive around there so I charged to 100%. That time, it charged to 309. 90% has always been 279 and has not changed (other than every once in a while being 278) since the beginning.

Back on the topic of changed algorithms.. I could totally see that even with my experience. I think its very easy for my car to calculate my state of charge, given I plug in every time my car hits my garage, and charge to 90%, and drive 80 miles a day. Others who drive much less miles, or dont plug in frequently, or "run it down and then plug back in" could have different experiences.

Reactions: PACEMD and dmurphy
I charge my LR AWD to between 70-90% at my work, where I can charge for free every day, but the car might go 3-4 days without being plugged in.... due to my schedule or how occupied the charging stalls are.

The reason for the inconsistent charging is that the charging stalls are free for use for four hours and the charging is only @ 30 amps.

I charged up to 90% the other day and, since the car is almost exactly 1 year old (has only 8,100 miles) I decided to check the range in miles.

I was rather surprised to see that the range is down to 254 miles.

Actually rather surprised is an understatement, I was somewhat shocked by this much range reduction after only one year and 8,100 miles of ownership.

This would work out to a range @ a 100% full charge of only 279 miles for a range loss of 31 miles which is exactly 10% of the range of the car when new.

It has been suggested in other threads that the range might not be gone but might simply be hidden due to the cells being imbalanced due to my imperfect charging habits.

I've seen conflicting information on how to get this shown range back. Would charging nightly to 90% for a few weeks suffice or would I need to first discharge the battery and do a 100% charge?

If I can't get a portion of this range to display I will probably contact Tesla to see what they have to say since this seems like a lot of range loss in one year of ownership.

I charge my LR AWD to between 70-90% at my work, where I can charge for free every 1-2 days, but the car might go 3-4 days without being plugged in.

The reason for the inconsistent charging is that the charging stalls are free for use for four hours and the charging is only @ 30 amps.

I charged up to 90% the other day and, since the car is almost exactly 1 year old (has only 8,100 miles) I decided to check the range in miles.

Actually rather surprised is an understatement, I was somewhat shocked by this much range reduction after only one year and 8,100 miles of ownership.

This would work out to a range @ a 100% full charge of only 279 miles for a range loss of 31 miles which is exactly 10% of the range of the car when new.

It has been suggested in other threads that the range might not be gone but might simply be hidden due to the cells being imbalanced due to my imperfect charging habits.

I've seen conflicting information on how to get this shown range back. Would charging nightly to 90% for a few weeks suffice or would I need to first discharge the battery and do a 100% charge?

If I can't get a portion of this range to display I will probably contact Tesla to see what they have to say since this seems like a lot of range loss in one year of ownership.
I'm not really sure the range is actually gone. But I am in your same boat my friend.
upload_2019-9-23_14-50-5.png

Reactions: morepizza
I'm right there with you.

I don't think there's anything you can do. Maybe one of the calibration tricks will work, maybe it won't. I think Tesla will toe the party line and tell you it's within expectations. I suggest you don't worry about it for now, and hopefully it'll fix itself with a software update in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: Anthony0535
I'm right there with you.

I don't think there's anything you can do. Maybe one of the calibration tricks will work, maybe it won't. I think Tesla will toe the party line and tell you it's within expectations. I suggest you don't worry about it for now, and hopefully it'll fix itself with a software update in the future.

Well, it doesn't affect the way I use the car. We don't take many road trips and when we do we are likely to take our gas guzzling SUV since we have too much stuff to fit in the Model 3.

My primary concern honestly is resale value since I've already taken a huge hit on that with Tesla's price drops. I imagine that as more and more Model 3 cars make their way to the secondary market that "range shown" will become a differentiating factor for what the car will fetch... a car that's lost 10-15% of its range in 2-3 years is going to be worth less than a car that shows 3% range loss.

Reactions: morepizza
I charge my LR AWD to between 70-90% at my work, where I can charge for free every day, but the car might go 3-4 days without being plugged in.... due to my schedule or how occupied the charging stalls are.

I think it's likely you have a calibration issue. I'd try running it down to 15% or less and then charge it up 100%, and see what impact that has. Maybe try it a couple of times.

I have a decently popular video on this topic right now:

The TL;DW is that calibration did nothing for me (7% to 100% at home, and then 9% to 100% at the supercharger). I am convinced the recent mileage drop people are seeing lately is due to the 2019.28/32 software update, and it will be fixed soon...I hope.

Here is my TeslaFi data (attached)

A big drop all the sudden, and many people are seeing the same...i don't think it's coincidence.

Also, balancing is different than calibration, and should happen any time the battery is finished charging and still plugged in (probably above a certain percent like 80, but I don't know the cut off exactly)

Attachments

• battery degradation.png
    battery degradation.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 126
Just curious... do you know what your lifetime Wh/mi figure is? Right now mine is 228 with 15,400 miles on the odometer. My car indicates 215 miles at 69% SoC (312 miles @ 100%). My charge history in the last year has been similar to yours; free L2 charging at work and plugging in every three days or so. I typically didn't let the car go below 150 miles (i.e., 50%) nor charge above 280-290 miles (90%), although there have been at least 15 times I ran up to 100% due to expected long trips.

I know that people have said that the algorithm used to calculate the 100% range is based on some fixed factor, but is there any real proof as to what Tesla really uses?

My RWD long range with 2019.32.2.2 shows 276 mile range with a 90% charge. It has 19,546 miles now. This is up from 270 miles a couple weeks ago. No idea why my experience is different from others. SoCal mild climate and I typically never charge more than 80%, rarely 90%.

RT

I have 2018 model, early 22xxx VIN, LR-RWD. Rated miles when new: 325.

Daily charged to 70%. Daily commute is only about 20 miles.
Never had to re-calibrate the battery or do other black magic.
After 1.5 years of ownership and 15K miles on it the car still charges to 227 miles at 70%, which is 324 prorated miles at 100%. That is less than 0.3% degradation.

I have heard that batteries on AWD and especially on P models degrade more due to higher discharge rate from more powerful motors.
From that perspective LR-RWD is the best car to own.

Sadly, I had an accident on the car just recently, and repair costs are prohibitively expansive, so I am planning to trade it if for 2019 AWD model as financially it makes more sense to do so vs trying to repair. We will see how that one would hold up.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Hans L and mswlogo