Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla owner here, so forgive me if I’m asking the wrong questions! I’ve got a LR AWD, August 2019 build, 1300 miles, 2019.32.12.2. My 90% is now showing 272. Daily use is about 40 miles and recharging at work when at 100-120 miles left or so. It’s been consistently showing 279 before. It’s my first time charging at home and leaving it on the charger (using a nema 6-20 we had installed for some woodworking equipment). We are also planning a ~320 mile round trip this week and will be stopping at a supercharger. Are my charging habits not ideal? Should I be even worried that it shows 272 instead of 279? Thanks all!
You have no need to worry. The estimated range will fluctuate based on parameters that none of us here have much insight into. Those parameters also appear to change with OTAs and are also dependent on charging habits. I suggest changing the display to % and using the Energy app for your road trip. You'll worry less over nothing.

Nav does, though, in some manner. At least on the Model 3, to the degree that it’s arrival estimate can be uncanny. I assumed the S & X Nav did also, but I don’t know about that?
Nav absolutely does on all models, in fact it's the energy app that makes it completely obvious that rated range is a constant, since the line is right there on the energy app and if you can get your actual consumption over 5/15/30 to line up exactly with the rated consumption, you'll see that it's the same value, drive after drive after drive.

Nothing in Tesla's technical response said that range was based on past driving habits, it said "displayed range is purely an estimated value based on operating conditions and ambient conditions." Operating and ambient conditions can easily mean state of charge, cell balance and temperature, which has a direct impact on energy accessible in the pack and how much is available for use or "frozen" out.

My attempted LR AWD "full charge" yesterday stopped at 97% (285 mi indicated) before stopping. I thought the cars would continue to charge to "100% indicated", even with degradation. What's with this?

f you restated it, remotely my dropping the Set point and then raising it again, it would have come closer. That much though probably needs at least a couple hours wait, potentially overnight, to allow 100

Tried second full charge in as many day's yesterday, (discharged to 60% SOC after first attempt).
Still only charged to 97% and 285 miles indicated. Guess I'll need to contact service again (first response for service was to reboot car:confused:).

New Tesla owner here, so forgive me if I’m asking the wrong questions! I’ve got a LR AWD, August 2019 build, 1300 miles, 2019.32.12.2. My 90% is now showing 272. Daily use is about 40 miles and recharging at work when at 100-120 miles left or so. It’s been consistently showing 279 before. It’s my first time charging at home and leaving it on the charger (using a nema 6-20 we had installed for some woodworking equipment). We are also planning a ~320 mile round trip this week and will be stopping at a supercharger. Are my charging habits not ideal? Should I be even worried that it shows 272 instead of 279? Thanks all!
Best habits are to keep the charge state as close to 50% as practical for your lifestyle and charge daily if possible/convenient. If you normally use 40% of the battery between charges, set the limit at 70% so that it drops to 30%. This is the best advice for all lithium batteries including your cell phone (but it's not easy/practical to follow that for a cell phone). Set the limit higher if it hinders convenience or causes range anxiety but not above 90% for daily driving.

Also, don't worry too much about trying to have "perfect" charging habits. Tesla has engineered the batteries extremely well to accommodate most people. You will loose range over the life of the car. The point is to reduce/delay it as much as possible. Tesla has done most of the work but you can likely influence it a little bit (how much is debatable) by following the above advice. If you don't want to get so detailed about it then just set it at 80 or 90% and forget about it.

The range estimate percentage all over the place and is pretty much the point of this entire thread. Just keep in mind that it's an estimate and it changes often by a few percent. Hence the advice to switch over to percent instead of miles so that you don't drive yourself crazy over it. The range estimate is theoretical anyway and usually doesn't reflect the real world. I switched to percent a few weeks after I bought the car. I switch back once in a while out of curiosity or when I read a thread like this one.

Reactions: KenC
Everything I've every hear about Li-ion batteries...don't leave them fully charged for long
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The balancing doesn’t function at lower SOC, you need around 95% or more for it to be active. It’s fine for a couple hours, then restart the charging. Especially since it is NOT at the top of the charge. ;) Also don’t bother with doing this more than once a month, the very infrequent push up is unlikely to cause meaningful degradation.

<edit> Just don't do it where the vehicle is going to sit in high heat, that's the trifecta that does tend to matter. High SOC + several hours + high ambient temps. The Tesla BMS is supposed to mitigate that heat to an extent if it is like Arizona-hot still it is best you keep it in the shade or such.

BTW It’ll probably show a small drop in SOC %, it actually can during charging at the top as the balancing happens. As I said, you might have to restart a couple times. A weekend is good for this.

Or just don’t worry about it. Mostly it is a concern for doing trips where you need to go to the top of SOC, having it balance pre-trip greatly reduces those charge times.

Last edited:
Is it a concern if one has never charged past 90%?
I've heard claims that doing that longterm lead to odd behavior from the BMS/battery that reported greatly reduced charging capacity and that taking it up to be balanced cleared it up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Kinda makes sense this could happen if your pack is prone to becoming unbalanced and it builds up to a fairly extreme level over time. But it may not happen for every pack.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
Our Model 3 LR has 18k miles and is 18 months old. My 100% on the stats app gradually went from 310 to 275. It’s gone back up to 300. I believe this was due to our charging behavior. I would charge to 70% daily and use about 15% of capacity per day. I didn’t have access to my garage for a few weeks so I charged to 90% every few days and used about 60% between charges. The 100% has gone back up to 300. This experience made me less worried about capacity at 100% and just enjoy the car.

Attachments

• 95342AFD-46AD-46B2-B9CD-4E80FDCA404C.jpeg
    95342AFD-46AD-46B2-B9CD-4E80FDCA404C.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 88
My car: P3D, delivered 26-Sep-2018, ~25k miles. Discharged down to 16% this weekend and charged to 100% for my commute this morning (got to 100% about 50 minutes before I left the house). Indicated range of 298 miles @ 100%. A bit below the psychological magic number of 300, but I'm going to call that ~3.5% degradation at worst [highest rated miles at 100% I've ever seen is 309]...it came on suddenly, so I'm not completely convinced it's actual degradation, but either way that seems relatively acceptable given what we know about Tesla battery history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My car: P3D, delivered 26-Sep-2018, ~25k miles. Discharged down to 16% this weekend and charged to 100% for my commute this morning (got to 100% about 50 minutes before I left the house). Indicated range of 298 miles @ 100%. A bit below the psychological magic number of 300, but I'm going to call that ~3.5% degradation at worst [highest rated miles at 100% I've ever seen is 309]...it came on suddenly, so I'm not completely convinced it's actual degradation, but either way that seems relatively acceptable given what we know about Tesla battery history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What is your lifetime wh/m? It has to be higher than mine (287), yet I get 283 miles at 100% and Tesla told me that is fine. :rolleyes:

So here’s the better question...

Is there anyone that has upgraded to V10 that still has the range displayed the same as what it was when the car was new?

My LR RWD was 292mi at 90% every single charge, including the charge when V10 was installed. As soon as I received 2019.32.12.1, my 90% dropped to 289mi. After 2019.32.12.2, I’m now at 287mi, and these updates were received within days of each other.

Clearly, I didn’t lose capacity overnight in either instance, so unless they are capping something it’s a software bug. I did attempt dropping it to 100 miles of range remaining and charging/leaving plugged in to balance the battery, still at 287mi right now after 14 hours of being plugged in.

So here’s the better question...

Is there anyone that has upgraded to V10 that still has the range displayed the same as what it was when the car was new?

My LR RWD was 292mi at 90% every single charge, including the charge when V10 was installed. As soon as I received 2019.32.12.1, my 90% dropped to 289mi. After 2019.32.12.2, I’m now at 287mi, and these updates were received within days of each other.

Clearly, I didn’t lose capacity overnight in either instance, so unless they are capping something it’s a software bug. I did attempt dropping it to 100 miles of range remaining and charging/leaving plugged in to balance the battery, still at 287mi right now after 14 hours of being plugged in.

I don’t know what my car was at for 85% SOC when it was new (use to charge to 90%, then 80% now do 85%). Mines been 271 at 85% SOC for months, including with V10 now as well. Car was new Aug 2018

Our Model 3 LR has 18k miles and is 18 months old. My 100% on the stats app gradually went from 310 to 275. It’s gone back up to 300. I believe this was due to our charging behavior. I would charge to 70% daily and use about 15% of capacity per day. I didn’t have access to my garage for a few weeks so I charged to 90% every few days and used about 60% between charges. The 100% has gone back up to 300. This experience made me less worried about capacity at 100% and just enjoy the car.
Interesting! My experience seems to have been almost the opposite. I used to charge to 90% but my range estimate varied quite alot, as low as 290miles, and then Spring hit and I changed to between 75% and 80%, and it started to go back up to 310miles. The more I follow these threads the more random it seems. The only takeaway I have is that if whatever you're doing isn't working, change whatever you're doing!
Here's my Stats chart:
IMG_3609.jpg

Interesting! My experience seems to have been almost the opposite. I used to charge to 90% but my range estimate varied quite alot, as low as 290miles, and then Spring hit and I changed to between 75% and 80%, and it started to go back up to 310miles. The more I follow these threads the more random it seems. The only takeaway I have is that if whatever you're doing isn't working, change whatever you're doing!
Here's my Stats chart:View attachment 468698
That's what mine looked like until I got to around 10-11k miles.