Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is super helpful! Let's hope my VIN is not one of the affected. or Hope that it is?

VIN 21k would put it earlier build than mine. I took delivery in June 2018 and they kept my car for a few days to upgrade something related to the power system.

upload_2019-11-7_16-43-30.png

Check your VIN vs these two service bulletins. May affect range if certain cells have disconnected from the main pack.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154513-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

I don’t see VIN ranges listed on those bulletins. Am I missing something? I just see an approximate date range between May 2018 and Sept 2018 for build date. My door seal states a August 2018 build date, so it looks like I may be in that range. I get around 297 miles on my P3D for a 100% charge on 2019.32.12.2 with only 7988mi on the odometer. (Typically only charge to 80% daily and rarely drop below 50%.)

What else can I check to see to determine if the bulletin is applicable to me? Do I need to call Tesla Service?

Reactions: gecko10x
I don’t see VIN ranges listed on those bulletins. Am I missing something? I just see an approximate date range between May 2018 and Sept 2018 for build date. My door seal states a August 2018 build date, so it looks like I may be in that range. I get around 297 miles on my P3D for a 100% charge on 2019.32.12.2 with only 7988mi on the odometer. (Typically only charge to 80% daily and rarely drop below 50%.)

What else can I check to see to determine if the bulletin is applicable to me? Do I need to call Tesla Service?

Try this: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

• Helpful
Reactions: ljbad4life
Thought I should share my data regards the battery degrading but this happens at the same time as the Software updates - coincidence?

Has anyone else noticed this?

(SR+) – received the new car in late August 2019

Did software vesion 2019.32.2.1 have any issues? (Data from Teslafi - exported into excel)

Chart Estimated.jpg

Reactions: KenC
Thought I should share my data regards the battery degrading but this happens at the same time as the Software updates - coincidence?

Did software vesion 2019.32.2.1 have any issues? (Data from Teslafi - exported into excel)

View attachment 474492

No official announcements - youtubers and enthusiasts suspect Tesla took away ~3kW from the usable portion of the battery to protect the packs from premature degradation (i.e. don't want to refit hundreds of thousands of battery packs under warranty).

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
I also took delivery in June 2018 so curious as to when mine was built. I'll also check the driver door to see when it was made.
just checked my made date. I think it's on the top right hand corner of the driver door sticker. It says 5/18 so i can only assume it means May 2018 build date. If it is, it is one of the ones affected according to this bulletin.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

Also, if you read the bulletin, it says ": This campaign bulletin addresses a known non-safety-related condition and provides recommended technical diagnosis and repair procedures"... and since it's not a safety related condition, I don't think it would be a VIN on the recall website (Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment) I dont' think.

Not not sure if I should report it now or say later down the road i.e., 3 years later. Thoughts? I just want to get the range that I paid for which is LR RWD (500km/310mi) and not anything less with defect.

Reactions: PearlShark

View attachment 474492
Looks like v32.2.1 caused your rated range to drop, and the subsequent software updates settled it down.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Ill freely admit i'm worried about battery degradation. I've had my model 3 from about 14 months with around 13.5k miles driven. Only supercharged a handful of times and 95% of my charging is done on a level 2 charger at work. Never completely killed the battery or fully charged to 100%. My average wh/mi is 218. Lately my app says at 90% I have roughly 278ish miles, which works out to about 85% (278/325). I have the LR edition. I've roughly lost 5% of my battery in little over a year?

Ill freely admit i'm worried about battery degradation. I've had my model 3 from about 14 months with around 13.5k miles driven. Only supercharged a handful of times and 95% of my charging is done on a level 2 charger at work. Never completely killed the battery or fully charged to 100%. My average wh/mi is 218. Lately my app says at 90% I have roughly 278ish miles, which works out to about 85% (278/325). I have the LR edition. I've roughly lost 5% of my battery in little over a year?
278miles @90%SOC is 309miles. According to Stats, at 13k to 14k miles, the average LR owner is showing ~310 miles.
battery_violin_1.png

Look for the blue histogram above the 13 and 14 on the x-axis. The peak, ie average, is right on the red line at 310 miles.