Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have a similar chart for Model 3?

The second chart in the above-referenced post is for the Model 3 LR. Credit @KenC

You can see it's not all that abnormal to have 7% degradation after 20k miles. But there's likely two batches of batteries - it's a bimodal distribution. One batch is likely better than the other (with a mean of 302 miles or so after 20k miles for one batch, and a mean of 292 miles or so for the other batch after 20k miles).

Based on the limited data available, looks like Model 3 degradation is on track to be about 1.5x as bad as Model S degradation, which isn't entirely surprising given the different chemistry and battery cell technology.

Should be fine for Tesla because if it follows the same basic shape, it only puts the batteries on target for 15-20% degradation at over ~100k miles, which is well within the warranty obligation. So warranty costs should be pretty low for this. I'm expecting to be at 250-270 (13-20% degradation) rated miles when the warranty expires based on my particular battery behavior.

battery_violin_1.png

Last edited:
The blue histograms are for the LR-SM, and the orange histograms are for the LR-AWD. If you look at the orange histo at 12k, 294 miles of range puts you out on the shoulder of the histogram, so you're at about 25th percentile, but that's for all dual motors. Yours is a performance, and for whatever reason, those seem to show a little more deg than regular dual motors, so you might be totally average for a DM-performance.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yours is a performance, and for whatever reason, those seem to show a little more deg than regular dual motors,

Do you have a source for that data?

I wonder if that difference has more to do with the Performance being heavily weighted in early shipments (and maybe the bimodal distribution has to do with an earlier batch of batteries vs. later batteries)?

I got my RWD at 325 miles end of June 2019 with 4 miles on it. Now it has 12,000 miles on it. The range remained 325 until the last 30 days over which it has went from 325-321-319-316-313-309.
It’s remained 309 for the past 2-3 days. Hoping it doesn’t keep going down.

So in 6 months I have about 5 percent battery loss. Hopefully it holds steady from now on

I got my RWD at 325 miles end of June 2019 with 4 miles on it. Now it has 12,000 miles on it. The range remained 325 until the last 30 days over which it has went from 325-321-319-316-313-309.

So in 6 months I have about 5 percent battery loss. Hopefully it holds steady from now on

Has it become significantly colder where you live (or rather, where your car spends most of its time) in the last 30 days?

Does temperature have a significant and immediate impact on 100% indicated range? It looks like my 100% range went up a bit, at least extrapolating from 90%. Lately I’ve been waking up with no regen unless I preheat for 15+ minutes. I’m told that’s a waste of energy and it murders the penguins.

Does temperature have a significant and immediate impact on 100% indicated range?

Yes AFAIK.
I have only one experience with it (35 degrees to 90 degrees in a single day), and the effect was immediate, on the order of about 6-7 rated miles. My car was nice and warm coming up a hill from Sedona to Flagstaff. Parked in Flagstaff, 304 miles projected, I lost 7 miles of rated range parked overnight at 35 degrees, while remaining the same 89% SoC. 298 miles projected in the morning. Later that day in Yuma, in 90 degree heat, charged to 304 rated miles.

I doubt preheating will provide significant enough warmth to the battery to really heat-soak it. I think it's possible that on a long road trip burning 20kW average you might be able to warm the pack up enough that after a max-rate Supercharge you could officially call your pack "warm." (Obviously it's only accurate to project your range when you're at a relatively high SoC.)

2019 LR3 Dual Motor. 310 miles range (100%) and 280 miles range (90%) charge at purchase 3 months ago. Now, after 4400 miles of driving range is only 260 miles at 90% charge. Supercharged no more than 2-3 times, only once charged to 100%.

7% degradation in range after only 4400 miles is excessive and is definitely something I did not see on my 2017 Model X that I drove a lot (64000 miles in 2 1/2 years). Less than 10% degradation in range over 2 1/2 years.

This is not something Tesla or any EV manufacturers mention during their sales pitch and I find is very misleading to the average person deciding if they want to buy an EV.

Rant over!

Reactions: ggies07
2019 LR3 Dual Motor. 310 miles range (100%) and 280 miles range (90%) charge at purchase 3 months ago. Now, after 4400 miles of driving range is only 260 miles at 90% charge. Supercharged no more than 2-3 times, only once charged to 100%.

7% degradation in range after only 4400 miles is excessive and is definitely something I did not see on my 2017 Model X that I drove a lot (64000 miles in 2 1/2 years). Less than 10% degradation in range over 2 1/2 years.

This is not something Tesla or any EV manufacturers mention during their sales pitch and I find is very misleading to the average person deciding if they want to buy an EV.

Rant over!
Different cell size, different battery chemistry, different buffer sizes, different battery heating strategy, all those things could be reasons why the change has been more than in your other Tesla.

The question is, is it real deg or just BMS drift? We don't know.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Could be seasonal.

Has anyone compared the kwh capacity that Tesla Remote displays to what Scan My Tesla shows?

Tesla Remote displayed capacity has decreased from 76 kWh to now 71 kWh. Matches the 6.4% degradation in rated miles I see at 90%.

Last edited:
I have 2 Model 3’s. One’s a Performance with 15000 miles and the other is a dual motor with 8900 miles. Both car charged to approximately 310 miles up to about 3 weeks ago. I’m now seeing under 300 on both cars at 100%. Temperatures have been cool for us in California, but certainly not like the east coast. I’m wondering if it’s related to the last couple of software updates. I can’t see why all of a sudden both cars lost 20 miles of range. Just doesn’t make sense.

I have 2 Model 3’s. One’s a Performance with 15000 miles and the other is a dual motor with 8900 miles. Both car charged to approximately 310 miles up to about 3 weeks ago. I’m now seeing under 300 on both cars at 100%. Temperatures have been cool for us in California, but certainly not like the east coast. I’m wondering if it’s related to the last couple of software updates. I can’t see why all of a sudden both cars lost 20 miles of range. Just doesn’t make sense.
Even in California? Doesn’t make sense that weather is causing it then

I'm fairly certain this this has nothing to do with the physical health of the battery, I think something changed (maybe the charge state algorithm?) in one of the recent updates. I've got 23k miles on my car and it had indicated range of 309 miles at 100% [279 at 90%} until one of the recent updates when it dropped to 272 @ 90%. Maybe it's more accurate, maybe it's a bug that will be fixed later, either way, I think our batteries are the same (physical health wise) that they were a couple months ago.
I’ve experienced the exact same thing on both of my Model 3’s. The change was definitely after one of the updates.

Have a 18 LR RWD 3 w/ 23k miles and it's in socal and garage kept. Charging at home normally to 80%. I did a max charge for a trip and sadly only shows 301 miles. For reportedly being the most efficient and long range version this is disheartening. Our P100D X hasn't had a big drop like the 3.

On another note my sisters LR RWD 3 had significant degradation to 240 miles max and soon wouldn't charge past 65 miles. Tesla ended up having to replace the entire battery.