Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have a 2018 LR RWD.

After 2 years and 80,000 kms (48,000 miles) I fully charged tonight for a trip tomorrow.

I am showing 461 kms (277 miles) on a full charge.

That is 11% range loss. I have only fully charged 3 times since I bought it new.

My charging habit is 90% during the Winter and 80% during the Summer.

Hope that estimation is wrong. I was hoping for 5% or less.

Vin

Hello All,

I have a 2018 LR RWD.

After 2 years and 80,000 kms (48,000 miles) I fully charged tonight for a trip tomorrow.

That is 11% range loss. I have only fully charged 3 times since I bought it new.

Vin

That estimation may be incorrect. Any reason why you go down to 80% charging in summer? Tesla recommends to charge it nightly and up to 90%.

95% to 20% is better for your battery than 80% to 5%. It would be preferable not to let it sit at 95% though.

That should depend on temp. If it's hot out, going over 90% is not great. If it's cold out, dropping down low isn't great.

So if he's in a cold area, 95-20 would be OK.

If it's hot out, doing 80 to 5 would be OK. Though I'd personally opt for 85-10 or 90 to 15.

Hello All,

I have a 2018 LR RWD.

Vin

Hi, Just wanted to chime in, I have very similar numbers to you. My car has 44,000 miles and shows a max charge at 283 miles. Also 2 years old.

I have been charging to 90% daily to see if it helps but so far not so much. I have a long commute so daily I am running the car from 90 miles back up to 255 (90%). I live in California and temps are very moderate where I'm at.

I have contacted Tesla and they ensure me my battery is within spec. This may be the new norm for people in our situations. There are tools available from 3rd parties that can give us more information on our actual battery capacity. I've been thinking of getting it. You might want to look into it too if its something that might help explain your/our range loss.

So I was hoping to check in on the current recommendation to try to re-calibrate the BMS. I don't have home charging which makes it a little harder.

My process would be something like this:

Charge the car to 90%, drive home at which point it would be at about 88%. Let it sit overnight.

Then drive the car until charge state is down to about 15%, without stopping to take a break. Then let it sit for some time, the ideal amount is unknown, but I'd plan for 1-2 hours. Then drive it to a charger to charge it.

Per the service manual entry floating around the internet, the car is not supposed to be driven for a period of time before or after the charge or discharge cycle, which makes trying to do the reverse process at a supercharger harder - I'd need to arrive a a supercharger with 15% battery, park at the supercharge but not charge, wait 1-2 hours, then charge, then leave care parked at the supercharger for 1-2 hours. Alternatively I"d need some other overnight charging spot with L2 to do this.

Thanks!

Hi, Just wanted to chime in, I have very similar numbers to you. My car has 44,000 miles and shows a max charge at 283 miles. Also 2 years old.

I have been charging to 90% daily to see if it helps but so far not so much. I have a long commute so daily I am running the car from 90 miles back up to 255 (90%). I live in California and temps are very moderate where I'm at.

I have contacted Tesla and they ensure me my battery is within spec. This may be the new norm for people in our situations. There are tools available from 3rd parties that can give us more information on our actual battery capacity. I've been thinking of getting it. You might want to look into it too if its something that might help explain your/our range loss.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one as we are so similiar.

Let me know what 3rd party you choose and if you like it. I do think that this loss is excessive. I was expecting something around the 5% level.

Thanks again,

Vin

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one as we are so similiar.

Let me know what 3rd party you choose and if you like it. I do think that this loss is excessive. I was expecting something around the 5% level.

Thanks again,

Vin
I agree with you. This seems excessive to me as well. Unfortunately it seems there's very little recourse for it. I've been trying to just enjoy the car like others say and not focus on the range but it still bugs me whenever I think about it. That being said, the third party hardware/software I was looking into was "ScanMyTesla". There's quite a few people on here who could speak to it better than I but it seems like a good investment for monitoring battery health.

Depends on your model 3 trim, wheel size/tire type, driving style, driving speed, weather, and altitude. There's no one number that fits all, too many variables.

I am at 250wh/mi with my SR+.
I realize there are a lot of variables which is why I posted the question. I'm not asking what should I be getting, I'm just curious how my usage stacks up with everyone else. I live in Southeast Texas which is extremely flat. The only hills we have around here are overpasses. I would define my driving style as spirited. Lol.

I have a model 3 long range dual motor but not performance. I'm running on stock wheels and tires but without the aero hubcaps. I do know that if I leave my display set to miles instead of percentage of battery left, I get about half of the range that it displays. In other words, I use energy much faster than what the car anticipates. I thought it would learn my driving style over time and adjust the range accordingly. I guess not.