Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had ours for little over 3 years. Total range is at 297....

65 miles we get about 290
75 miles we get about 275
80 miles we get about 260

How many EPA miles was your LR marketed at when it was sold to you? I'm trying to figure out whether the colloquial "take 80% of the EPA range that TM3s come with" applies to which band of your speed numbers above.

Had the fortunate chance to access the diagnostics briefly due to the "dynotest" bug and spotted this:

t_energy.png

2019 AWD LR with Performance Boost - 37k miles

I assume this is a "real" reading and that any of the "balancing" methods aren't going to necessarily change this. Does anyone know if that's true?

Unfortunately that's ~9% loss so far, real world - a 100% charge sees about 280 (vs the 309 at pickup) so the numbers are about right on.

Had the fortunate chance to access the diagnostics briefly due to the "dynotest" bug and spotted this:

View attachment 706868

I assume this is a "real" reading and that any of the "balancing" methods aren't going to necessarily change this. Does anyone know if that's true?

Unfortunately that's ~9% loss so far, real world - a 100% charge sees about 280 (vs the 309 at pickup) so the numbers are about right on.
Seems normal. You likely started at about 78kWh (if you really never saw more than 309 and really tried to get to 100% when new, then you started with a low capacity battery with closer to 75.7kWh - quite low; there were definitely owners who started over 77kWh based on screen captures posted here from SMT) so it's more like 12% from the best case, or 9.5% from your actual starting point.

Reactions: viddy_well
2021 M3 LR here, is it ok to leave the battery at 90% for day to day use or should I set it lower? I know I shouldn't go to 100% unless for a long trip.

And if I leave the car plugged in, it seems to drain from the battery rather than the charger and cycle battery charging. Are repeated small charging cycles a problem?

2021 M3 LR here, is it ok to leave the battery at 90% for day to day use or should I set it lower? I know I shouldn't go to 100% unless for a long trip.

And if I leave the car plugged in, it seems to drain from the battery rather than the charger and cycle battery charging. Are repeated small charging cycles a problem?

id set it lower in Australia, especially in summer. i.e. 80 to 85% should be ok. In winter it doesnt matter. We get enough range here coz less heating needed and speeds are lower.

I actually hit a calibration event yesterday. Left my car sitting at 20% overnight and hit a recalibration event which took another 9km off me.

capacity went from 69.1kwh to 68.4kwh. Great. With that I am essentially having less range than model 3s with 200k kms on them on teslafi.
I guess if it continues at that rate ill be getting a new battery in a few years.

id set it lower in Australia, especially in summer. i.e. 80 to 85% should be ok. In winter it doesnt matter. We get enough range here coz less heating needed and speeds are lower.

I actually hit a calibration event yesterday. Left my car sitting at 20% overnight and hit a recalibration event which took another 9km off me.

capacity went from 69.1kwh to 68.4kwh. Great. With that I am essentially having less range than model 3s with 200k kms on them on teslafi.
I guess if it continues at that rate ill be getting a new battery in a few years.
How do you see the KWh capacity? The car only reports range or percentage.

Does keeping it slightly lower reduce battery wear? So for around town 80% limit may be fine? Maybe in Canberra in winter it could use a little more.

How do you see the KWh capacity? The car only reports range or percentage.

Does keeping it slightly lower reduce battery wear? So for around town 80% limit may be fine? Maybe in Canberra in winter it could use a little more.

you can technically extrapolate it from the rated range -that is only accurate at 100% but you can still see if you lose kms.

To see pack kwh you can with the current software version use dynomode to see all the sensor readings due to it being a developer build released by accident.
Or you can use scanmytesla.

Canberra winter is like european spring so it is still way warmer. For driving around town 50-60% is completely fine. Tbh if you have home charging and just driving around urban australia (i.e. ACT) id probably just charge to 65% or so.
We dont know how much the benefit is but there will be some benefit.

Reactions: Aphelion

View attachment 706868

I have less than you at 39k km....

This seems relatively accurate, by my rough estimation of my experiences driving. It may underestimate range a little bit, in fact.

To be fair, you started at 79.2kWh or so, so it's "only" 4%. Which is certainly not ideal in the timeframe you have experience it, and well outside the norm in that timeframe. They are estimates though, and there is in a SHORT timeframe a chance that the estimate will bounce back (though of course the overall trend will definitely be down). It can take some time to adjust back from a low CAC estimate.

Or, it's possible your initial 79.2kWh reading was optimistic, and it is just adjusting down the estimate to the "correct" value with time (hard to know without the specifics).
The hard thing with the 2170L cell is to know the "Real capacity" to start the calculation from. I dont know it the old 2170 was like that.
From the EPA certicifation we could see that the 2170 in the US LR 2021 delivered 78.6kwh during the test. The 2170L delivered 80.8kwh, so 80.8 maybe is a fair starting point ?
No my friend .. SMT is reading the BMS directly. That is the actual capacity of the battery. That is the actual loss.
The rated range starts decreasing once the actual capacity goes below the 100% threshold capacity. So, yes, I lost 2% rated range, but I lost 5% from the battery capacity ... and this is bad, in my opinion. If is gonna stay like this for the next 6 months or so, good ... but I highly doubt it. It is never a good sign when the battery capacity is plummeting, especially as new.
I think you could use 80.8kWh or something like that as a starting point instead of 82.1-marked size?(you had the E3LD, right ?)

Charging schedules seem to affct the readings quite much. I was down to a NFP of 79.5kWh during a long trip(3400km) with only SuC. Coming home and starting to use my regular charging schedule set it back to higher values. Maybe the ambient temps is a factor also, as the NFP did climb just after the ambient temps fell. Right nowe at 80.9kWh, after 9 months since I got the car and about 10 since the build date.
I do not hink you need to loose 10% over two years if you can adhere to the basics of battery degradation and follow that knowledge. I havent really lost any range, or NFP since new if I look at the NFP, or teslafi or the battery symbol range.

Teslafi degradation report.png

I have a 2020 LR and over the first 7,000 miles: 45mph: 300 miles, 65 mph: 240 miles, 75mph: 200 miles, 80mph: 140 miles. I do tend to carry more than one person (who insists on using the seat heater if it’s below 50), luggage, food, etc so it may depend heavily on what you add in the car.

Well, it's "OK" to keep it at 90%, but the data shows lower SOCs is better for less degradation.
I try not to keep it at 90% for a long time either. I will charge it to 90% at work sometimes but then I’ll use it within a few hours to get home. So when I’m at home it’s never higher than 80% sitting over night. I like to use the chargers at work as much as I can as they are free. My understanding is it is fine if you charge it to 90% (or even 100%) as long as you use it within a few hours and not let it sit for a while.

i’ve never really understood the shallower discharge theory. So if you use 10% of the battery you should charge it immediately versus using 10% each day over three days and then charging?

Reactions: AAKEE