Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All are lithium ion batteries. But there are different chemistry.
Classic Tesla/Panasonic is NCA: Nickel, Cobalt, aluminium.
NMC is Nickel, Manganese, Cobalt

Nothing to really think about if you dont know already or ise very interrested.
Both will do a good job.
Thanks for that! My car is five months old but my projected maximum range is still increasing ! I’m up to 550 km (341.8 miles)

Reactions: AAKEE
Sorry, my thread has been transferred to this one so it is a bit mixed.
I just wanted to put my data continuing my way to Quebec (LĂ©vis supercharger) and also the return to Drummondville supercharger. So if it was about wind it should have favored me on the return.

Attachments

• 46B291E1-A022-461A-A637-44576BCD24D6.jpeg
    46B291E1-A022-461A-A637-44576BCD24D6.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 84
View attachment 772545
Interesting graph. The difference is so steady. Obviously mostly flat between Montreal and Drummondville. How did it look, driving home?

I would use the ABRP app, ABRP, and register for free, so that it pulls the API data from your car. That'll give you better predictions than Tesla. If you want it to include wind data, you can do the free trial, which is super accurate.
I just posted the return data in a Note screenshot. I didn’t know ABRP could log into my car, I will check as well, thanks!

View attachment 772545
Interesting graph. The difference is so steady. Obviously mostly flat between Montreal and Drummondville. How did it look, driving home?

I would use the ABRP app, ABRP, and register for free, so that it pulls the API data from your car. That'll give you better predictions than Tesla. If you want it to include wind data, you can do the free trial, which is super accurate.
my graph are always like this. expecially since november 2021.
MY 2021 Model 3 Performance thinks to be a SR+ in springtime and downhill....with tailwind.. and predicts always wrong very LOW consumptions
I have appointement at service next week, because even Tesla said that is not correct that my Model 3 Perf predicts a percentage to cover a distance (example: to use 10% to cover 55 km) and another 2021 Model 3 P (for the same trip) predicts more percentage to use (example 13% to cover the same trip of 55 km).
The car instead is correct on ABRB predictions (even sligthly better).

my graph are always like this. expecially since november 2021.
MY 2021 Model 3 Performance thinks to be a SR+ in springtime and downhill....with tailwind.. and predicts always wrong very LOW consumptions
I have appointement at service next week, because even Tesla said that is not correct that my Model 3 Perf predicts a percentage to cover a distance (example: to use 10% to cover 55 km) and another 2021 Model 3 P (for the same trip) predicts more percentage to use (example 13% to cover the same trip of 55 km).
The car instead is correct on ABRB predictions (even sligthly better).
Do you have the correct wheels chosen in the menu? (I guess yo have, but just to make sure….)

I have the 20” Überturbines chosen and it seems to predict very good on the 20” Überturbines. In winter I have 19” studded tyres, but its the same 235 width, and the same diameter. I do not see a clear difference in consumtion between the tyres so I use the 20” setting for winter as well. I took two screenshots on ”trips” today, as ther was a facebook thread discussion about that function.

First pic, started the nav to the work, in the middle of the run there was traffic that held my speed down sa little, otherwise more or less spot on.
The second pic, on the way home a bit more traffic* but quite ok flow.

DE4E8524-6B41-4242-B172-6B2FF78C3718.jpeg

B315CCC7-304D-41FD-BA06-28F28E524578.jpeg

*) A bit more traffic = with our norms up here. Not-hillbillies would say ”didnt see a single car” :)

Do you have the correct wheels chosen in the menu? (I guess yo have, but just to make sure….)

I have the 20” Überturbines chosen and it seems to predict very good on the 20” Überturbines. In winter I have 19” studded tyres, but its the same 235 width, and the same diameter. I do not see a clear difference in consumtion between the tyres so I use the 20” setting for winter as well. I took two screenshots on ”trips” today, as ther was a facebook thread discussion about that function.

First pic, started the nav to the work, in the middle of the run there was traffic that held my speed down sa little, otherwise more or less spot on.
The second pic, on the way home a bit more traffic* but quite ok flow.

View attachment 772611
View attachment 772612

*) A bit more traffic = with our norms up here. Not-hillbillies would say ”didnt see a single car” :)
Thanks.
I made a try when I found a 2021 Model 3 P like mine with about same knm and the same age (similar olate numbers) March 2021.
I asked him to put a destination , deselect "avoid highway".
My same parameters and I selected the same trip to the same destination.
I don't remember the exact numbers but for sure a 50 or 60 km trip.
He had a 13-14% to collete the trip
ME only around 10%,
so my speculation is that some new update changed something to reflect the driveing style because I have a total average of 168 Wh/km (confirming the fact that I'm not an aggressive driver...) and him it was over 210 Wh/km.
I don't know if my speculation is correct , but if I'm correct i think tesla should review their choices on this.
In the week-end I had a 29% usage prediction for a trip of 150 km where 98% of the rouad was highway with speed limit of 130 km/h!
Obviously I used more than 30% but less than ABRP prediction.
Yes I have correct 20 rims on the menu.

Reactions: AAKEE
Just picked up my 2022 M3LR today. When I picked it up it had a charge showing of 72% with 8 miles on the odometer. When I got home (16 miles later) I was surprised to see only 65% left. I drove on some streets, but did a good stretch on the freeway (what I'd consider my typical driving pattern).
If I did the math right, it appears I burned 7% in 16 miles
If I'm extrapolating right (times 14.29) that would only give my 2022 M3LR a range of 228.64 miles at 100%.
That seems low to me, can anyone else weigh in on their 'actual' mileage experience vs. Tesla's 'published' mileage?

Just picked up my 2022 M3LR today. When I picked it up it had a charge showing of 72% with 8 miles on the odometer. When I got home (16 miles later) I was surprised to see only 65% left. I drove on some streets, but did a good stretch on the freeway (what I'd consider my typical driving pattern).
If I did the math right, it appears I burned 7% in 16 miles
If I'm extrapolating right (times 14.29) that would only give my 2022 M3LR a range of 228.64 miles at 100%.
That seems low to me, can anyone else weigh in on their 'actual' mileage experience vs. Tesla's 'published' mileage?
That's about right.

I would feel comfortable to drive 220 miles on a full battery of my 2018 Model 3 rated with 310 mile range in good weather.

Short trips like 20 trips with 5 miles each would consume more thank 1 single trip of 100 miles.

Enjoy your car as long as you don't get stranded due to out of range and don't worry about the numbers as long as you can charge up.

While I didn't expect to get a full 358 miles, I (frankly) did not expect it deliver 130 miles less in the 2022 'Long Range' model.
That's acceptable for me and I've been driving 3 different Tesla cars since 2012.

Enjoy your car as long as you're not stranded on the road so charge it up as needed

If you want real 358 mile range, pay $250,000 for a 620 mile Tesla Roadster.

• Funny
Reactions: puckpurnell
If you want real 358 mile range
It is nice that you're grown comfortable with very little range from a car that initially boasted 310, but what part of 'didn't expect to get a full 358 miles' was unclear?
Would it be 'acceptable' not getting 200 (only 198) from your new car that that promised 310? That appears to be my my situation based on percentages.

Last edited:
Well, this will be very interesting. As close as you get to the Tesla panasonic 2170 without cutting a real pack in pieces. Already tested/reviewed in battery nerd forums. From those reviews we know that these can not be distinguished from a cell taken from a Model 3 pack if the green plastic cover is removed.

But now it will get even nerdier.
I will perform tests of calendar aging at some different SOC’s. A few other tests also planned, and another order planned in a while(separate the time to make sure they come from another batch).

Time will tell! :)
791091F8-0042-45A4-9476-0E23007FE371.jpeg

It is nice that you're grown comfortable with very little range from a car that initially boasted 310, but what part of 'didn't expect to get a full 358 miles' was unclear?
Would you be OK with not being comfortable not getting 200 (only 198) from your new car that that offered 310? That appears to be my my situation based on percentages.
I'm not sure there isn't a break in period with your new battery. I didn't spend much time analyzing the battery percentage vs miles driven but if I recall my car felt like I was getting better range after a week or two. Only trip I've taken where I extended the range was a baseball tournament for my son last fall and round trip took us maybe 250 miles and I got home with someteen maybe 20% battery left.

break in period with your new battery
Something like that would be nice, as I didn't expect to see close to $60k changing hands for less than 230 miles on a full charge.
I had hopes that some 2022 M3LR owners might weigh in with their experiences. I'm especially keen on that data with as I had dismissed initial worrying reports that the new AMD Ryzen processor had a significant negative impact on the 2022 M3LR range.

Really cold weather will impact range significantly but being in LA that shouldn't be an issue for you. The 18" wheels with the arrow covers will maximize the range, how you drive, etc., all the things I'm sure you've already heard/read. Give it a few weeks and go from there.

Extrapolating the full range from a short trip like that is prone to a lot of error. Just on the display resolution of 1% alone, you could have up to a + or - 14.5% error in your result. Add on to this that the car is brand new and no in-service battery capacity calculations have been done yet, and I think you're seeing much more measurement and indication error than you think.

Fully charge the battery to 100% and take a long trip and see how many miles you actually get. I bet it's a decent amount more than your calculation.