Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always charge 20% to 80% once every two weeks and I always get 250 estimated range.
Today I charged to 80% and it says 227 miles.

Anybody has any idea what's going on?
Aren't you the same person who said your driving range was 150miles, and never posted any screenshots so no one could help figure out what was wrong with your car?

Are we going to play this guessing game again?

I always charge 20% to 80% once every two weeks and I always get 250 estimated range.
Today I charged to 80% and it says 227 miles.

Anybody has any idea what's going on?

pretty normal you probably had a recalibration event after the BMS became more confident about the range of the battery.
Remember the car doesnt really know how much range you have, there is an internal voltage table it constantly compares to current presumed SOC and then it also has a confidence interval (can be seen with SMT). Eventually its confident enough it has a new reading and adjusts the rated range. If it makes an error here youll notice that the battery % may suddenly drop from 10% to 6% during deep discharges. However Model 3 usually tries to keep the error margin below 4.5% so its hidden inside the buffer.

You can actually ask tesla to reset this by doing a CAC reset but itll immediately drift back to what it was before unless the BMS made a serious error. Such errors were common in 2017 with people who kept their cars parked at 50% for long times as I presume tesla didnt bother providing the car with a high quality voltage table or the accuracy wasnt high enough back then so it caused a displayed range reduction due to lack of confidence....

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I just bought a 2018 M3 Long Range. It has just under 59,000 Kms. I'm located in Canada, and temps these days are around 5*C to 15*C. Driving at 100 Km/h to 110 Km/h with HVAC turned off 95% of the time, I can only get 300 to 320 Kms on a 90% charge. Also, this brings remaining charge to about 5%, which is too low. After a 100% charge, the car indicates 460 Kms range and at 90% it's 420 Kms. The energy app is pretty accurate, and estimates 320 to 360 Kms on a 90% charge. Is this what I should be getting? With winter coming, I'm guessing my range will go down even more which is a big problem for me. Other then this, I'm so in love with this car it's ridiculous!

I’m in Alaska and on my 5th winter with my 2018 LR AWD 3. My experience, cold in its self doesn't really affect range, what does is running the heat, snow covered roads, and speed. Around town with the heat set to 17-18c (63-65F) I don’t much of a range loss until it gets <-20C (much below 0F). When it gets around and below -30C(-20F) I get more like a 30-40% loss. Worst day of the year around 0F with fresh unplowed snow more like a 40-50% loss. Pre heating also has a pretty big effect. I’ll also add my home garage is heated and I plug into 110 on the block heater outlets at work when it gets < -20C.

In terms of speed at 100-110 km/hr (>65mph) I see a 20% range loss even on dry roads in the summer not running AC or heat. So I would expect your 20% hit is right on just given the speed you stated.

I hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and DrGriz
I’m in Alaska and on my 5th winter with my 2018 LR AWD 3. My experience, cold in its self doesn't really affect range, what does is running the heat, snow covered roads, and speed. Around town with the heat set to 17-18c (63-65F) I don’t much of a range loss until it gets <-20C (much below 0F). When it gets around and below -30C(-20F) I get more like a 30-40% loss. Worst day of the year around 0F with fresh unplowed snow more like a 40-50% loss. Pre heating also has a pretty big effect. I’ll also add my home garage is heated and I plug into 110 on the block heater outlets at work when it gets < -20C.

In terms of speed at 100-110 km/hr (>65mph) I see a 20% range loss even on dry roads in the summer not running AC or heat. So I would expect your 20% hit is right on just given the speed you stated.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be making some compromises to get my 320 KMs/day that I need.

I can only get 300 to 320 Kms on a 90% charge
Be careful to only quote these numbers if you do a continuous drive. It's not really applicable to drives where you stop, leave overnight, etc. There's just tons of variance on such results due to various losses while parked, so it's not a particularly useful metric (not to say the losses are not important - they are - but they need to be accounted for and managed separately).

Hopefully you're not having to do 320km on a daily basis, though it is a use case for some people.

That being said, 190 miles seems fairly close to reasonable for a 90% charge. Seems a smidge low for a car with 18" aero wheels with efficient tires at 60mph though. That seems more reasonable for 80mph.
After a 100% charge, the car indicates 460 Kms range
So you (really the previous owner) lost about 10% of the initial capacity of 499rkm (which was closer to 510rkm, actually, in terms of actual energy). This is pretty normal for most vehicles, when charged as is typical (to 70-90%).

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Be careful to only quote these numbers if you do a continuous drive. It's not really applicable to drives where you stop, leave overnight, etc. There's just tons of variance on such results due to various losses while parked, so it's not a particularly useful metric (not to say the losses are not important - they are - but they need to be accounted for and managed separately).

Hopefully you're not having to do 320km on a daily basis, though it is a use case for some people.

That being said, 190 miles seems fairly close to reasonable for a 90% charge. Seems a smidge low for a car with 18" aero wheels with efficient tires at 60mph though. That seems more reasonable for 80mph.

So you (really the previous owner) lost about 10% of the initial capacity of 499rkm (which was closer to 510rkm, actually, in terms of actual energy). This is pretty normal for most vehicles, when charged as is typical (to 70-90%).
Yes, I should have specified it's all highway driving. 320 Kms split up into two trips, every week day.

I did a battery test and it also showed 90% health, so it sounds like what I'm getting is to be expected. I'll probably get a wheel alignment done and try different tires when these wear out. The car has Pirelli P-Zero tires on it now.

I purchased a Model 3 2021 plate with 19k miles. The day I received it I performed a battery healthcheck in service mode (
) and the result is in the picture attached. Is this measurement reliable? It seems a bit too good to be true. I was under the impression it degraded around 3% on average every 10k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
Has anyone noticed their reported range increasing over the last few weeks?

My battery used to be around 68.5kWh (Australian model 3 performance stealth, made in USA).

Now Scan my Tesla tells me it’s 71.1kWh (and similar report showing using the energy screen method).

I haven’t changed my charging habits in years. Charging at least once a week to 80%

Here is a screen capture last week being 71.1kWh

Attachments

• IMG_3583.png
    IMG_3583.png
    494.1 KB · Views: 11
Has anyone noticed their reported range increasing over the last few weeks?

My battery used to be around 68.5kWh (Australian model 3 performance stealth, made in USA).

Now Scan my Tesla tells me it’s 71.1kWh (and similar report showing using the energy screen method).

I haven’t changed my charging habits in years. Charging at least once a week to 80%

Here is a screen capture last week being 71.1kWh
Is the outdoor temperature warming up? Fluctuations like that are usually temperature related.

Is the outdoor temperature warming up? Fluctuations like that are usually temperature related.
No, thats a myth.

Some third part apps seem to use data that is influenced by temperature.

The BMS data is not. The Nominal Full Pack number is not in general affected by temperature.

This change is quite high and must mean the BMS either was of before and adjusted back now, or the other way around.

It would be possible to calculate the approximate capacity from average SOC and sverag temperature.

A quick calculation says that in a warm climate like AUS the battery would have 6% calendar aging the first year if charged to 80% and not driven down below 55-60% each day.

If the car is about four years, we are looking at square root (4) x 6 = 12% calendar aging.
Cyclic aging is probably not that much so around 12% in total.

77.8 kWh x 0.88 = 68.5 kWh capacity today.
(The precise “hit” of the earlier NFP is a coincidence, I just grabbed a number for car age that seemed probable).

I could do a more precise calc with my excel formulas, taking more data into account.
For this I need:
-How many km/miles on the ODO
-Car age, manufacturing date or delivery date
-Daily charge, and end of day SOC (before next charge)
- When the charge is done each day (at arrival after work, like 6pm or middle of the night or in the morning)
- average annual temp, or city/country for me to find out.
-Is the car parke in a garage?
-Garage: temp ? ( insulated or not).

Last edited:
No, thats a myth.

Some third part apps seem to use data that is influenced by temperature.

The BMS data is not. The Nominal Full Pack number is not in general affected by temperature.

This change is quite high and must mean the BMS either was of before and adjusted back now, or the other way around.

It would be possible to calculate the approximate capacity from average SOC and sverag temperature.

A quick calculation says that in a warm climate like AUS the battery would have 6% calendar aging the first year if charged to 80% and not driven down below 55-60% each day.

If the car is about four years, we are looking at square root (4) x 6 = 12% calendar aging.
Cyclic aging is probably not that much so around 12% in total.

77.8 kWh x 0.88 = 68.5 kWh capacity today.
(The precise “hit” of the earlier NFP is a coincidence, I just grabbed a number for car age that seemed probable).

I could do a more precise calc with my excel formulas, taking more data into account.

Say what you will, but I have a noticeable impact to my battery capacity annually as we swing through temperature changes. I do gain some capacity back every spring.

Been watching the same pack for 5 years and can set my watch to it.

Say what you will, but I have a noticeable impact to my battery capacity annually as we swing through temperature changes. I do gain some capacity back every spring.

Been watching the same pack for 5 years and can set my watch to it.
Do you use Scan My Tesla? Refers to Nomimal full pack?

If anything i have seen the opposite.
Stable numbers in the winter and the BMS has only been off during warm periods.

Cold temperatures are also reducing the “stress” on the battery with reduced calendar aging. We should not actually see a dip in winter from that perspective.

I know it was some app that used the wrong numbers, but they changed that later to the right ones. That caused the range to show a ”faulty” annual variation.

Below my 2.5 yrs data on my M3P.

The first “dip” shown was in july-august 2022, the second shown was in may-june 2023.

There was a slight dip in the summer of 2021 also (july) where the BMS showed slightly below 80kWh, but during the winter/spring before 81+ kWh and after the summer ~ 81kWh for the rest of that year.

IMG_6326.jpeg