Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on road trip much lower than expected (<200 miles on full charge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Model 3 is at 260 Wh/mi lifetime. Current is at 278 Wh/mi. I still have the old car and can easily compare. The old one beats the new one, and the new one is supposed to be significantly more efficient. Even my Y easily beats my new 3.
Jeeez. I am really looking forward to getting our Model Y later this year. It's rare for my old 2014 Model S to get below 350 Wh / mile.

Reactions: DrGriz
Man...I'm averaging about 232 wi/mi in my Model 3 RWD in SoCal. Its crazy to see these drastically different numbers coming out of the colder states. I guess these cars were designed and meant to be driven in CA only.
It seems that Tesla did not spend much time and research in colder climates. I still love the car and the efficiency of the car beats any ice vehicle or even my 2013 Prius. . The Prius averaged 40-50 mpg. My Y at ,285 wh/mi is getting 118.24 mpg. I used the following 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline, or 33700/285 = 118.24

After 13,000 miles, I'm averaging about 267 Wh/mi. About 43% of that consists of highway miles on road trips and Superchargers. We got the car on Sep 25th last year, after summer was over. I expect that the next 6 months of warm (hot) Florida weather will bring that average down a bit. We absolutely love the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjrotor
27K miles on my MYLR 20” with lifetime average of 285 Wh/mi. Here’s the monthly mileage vs. efficiency, living in Colorado. (Tallest bars indicate cross-country road trips.) Hopefully Wh/mi will trend down again as it warms up?

Attachments

• 11C71FEC-C323-43BD-9196-290CB129BD13.jpeg
    11C71FEC-C323-43BD-9196-290CB129BD13.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 71
Its crazy to see these drastically different numbers coming out of the colder states. I guess these cars were designed and meant to be driven in CA only.
That's nonsense. Norway happens to be cold, you know.

Look, physics is physics. It's not a failure of design. ALL cars, regardless of whether they are combustion or electric have higher energy consumption figures when it is cold. That is just reality--not a failure of design. You can't design for physics to not exist. And "driven in CA only"?! Excuse me? Combustion engines have this notorious difficulty with failing to start sometimes in extreme cold. Electric vehicles are immune to that problem. They are just push button and go. Energy consumption will always be high in the cold, but they perform really well and reliably.

With over 10k on our 2021 Y with induction wheels, we’re at 272wh/mi lifetime with a lot of very fast highway driving. EPA estimates were wrong for every car we’ve owned. Our Prius was off even for the car’s own estimate. The car would say we were averaging 48mpg but calculating at the pump was always at 46 or less. There are so many variables at play — driver habits, temp, wind, incline, weight in car, tire pressure, etc. The good news is that there are superchargers nearly everywhere. Have to just relax and enjoy the ride!

After reading all these comments… kind of worried about the range of a 2022 MYP.

Is it safe to assume that the range will be between 200-215 miles on a full charge?
Yes*

In general I haven't had any issues getting 200 miles on my MY. As a practical matter, I charge at home and just top it off every night or every other night so the only time it's ever an issue is when I forget to plug it in.

*go back and read all the comments. It all depends how you drive where you drive and when you drive!

"*go back and read all the comments. It all depends how you drive where you drive and when you drive!"

I have the tendency to ruin range, as I loose patience squished between Semi Trucks going 60. The fast lane is usually going 75+. When I pull over to the Semi lane it starts all over again. Reminds me of the song " I can't drive 55"

This is the big lie about EV.
The estimated range is very optimistic and the sweet spot is 40mph.
Winter does not help, also.

Range very optimistic
Just returned from 3,000 mile round trip I think my range was a little better. I always used the Tesla app onboard and watched the estimated percentage arrival for next charger, charging until arrival percentage showed about 20%. Always made it to next charger with more than 15%.

Range on an EV is much more dependent on speed than traditional much less efficient gas cars.

The EV has the equivalent of about a 2 gallon tank, and uses it VERY efficiently. But physics can't be bargained with - going faster eats power pushing thru the air by the square of velocity. On my Model Y, I can get 330 miles at a steady 60 MPH. That drops to 300 at 70 and about 250 miles of range at 80 MPH. Pick whichever combo of range and speed you like.

We have a 3 throw Subaru Ascent and also the MY LR 7 seat with Geminis. With less than 600 mi on the odometer, we've averaged 316 Wh/mi, with most of the driving being rural roads. It's been extraordinarily hot with temps above 100° on most days, and as high as 113°. So we've had to run the air con constantly when driving the car. We've seen efficiency as bad as 390 Wh/mi.

We normally take multiple trips from our home in Norther California to Vancouver, B.C. It's a 1600 mi roundtrip. In our Subaru with a full load of people, all of our luggage and a rooftop box, we get about 23 mpg on average. That's also with 3PMSF tires on.

Being that we take this trip both in the summer and in the winter, we are going to need to decide which car to take - our Tesla or the Ascent.

Those who've driven this route on I-5 know that speeds are often 75-80 mph. Most people drive 5-10 mph over the limit. And the limit is as high as 70 mph in many areas.

With the cost of supercharging at about $0.46 kWh, so far I've calculated that the running costs to "refuel" the Tesla vs the Ascent comes out to about 9% less in the Tesla. If we charge at home it's about 22%. But of course we wouldn't have that option on the road.

Right now, I'm leaning on just taking the Ascent on these long trips. We get up to 350 mi on a tank of gas, and gas is over $1/gal cheaper once we get out of California. The Ascent isn't affected much by the air conditioning, and speed isn't much of an effect until I get over 75-80 mph. I suspect the Tesla with the whole family and all of our gear, and driving in very hot weather at 75-80 mph, will cost nearly the same to run as what it costs to fuel up the Ascent. Considering the Ascent is roomier, has Apple CarPlay and Waze, and the tires are all-terrain 3PMSF, it just seems like the logical choice. We make take one trip with the MY though, just as a comparison.

We have a 3 throw Subaru Ascent and also the MY LR 7 seat with Geminis. With less than 600 mi on the odometer, we've averaged 316 Wh/mi, with most of the driving being rural roads. It's been extraordinarily hot with temps above 100° on most days, and as high as 113°. So we've had to run the air con constantly when driving the car. We've seen efficiency as bad as 390 Wh/mi.

We normally take multiple trips from our home in Norther California to Vancouver, B.C. It's a 1600 mi roundtrip. In our Subaru with a full load of people, all of our luggage and a rooftop box, we get about 23 mpg on average. That's also with 3PMSF tires on.

Being that we take this trip both in the summer and in the winter, we are going to need to decide which car to take - our Tesla or the Ascent.

Those who've driven this route on I-5 know that speeds are often 75-80 mph. Most people drive 5-10 mph over the limit. And the limit is as high as 70 mph in many areas.

With the cost of supercharging at about $0.46 kWh, so far I've calculated that the running costs to "refuel" the Tesla vs the Ascent comes out to about 9% less in the Tesla. If we charge at home it's about 22%. But of course we wouldn't have that option on the road.
I do this drive all the time... I already did it twice just this summer. Just a few weeks ago, I drove from Seattle to San Jose. I averaged around 80 for most of the drive in WA and CA, and 75 in OR. I had 5 people and plenty of luggage with me.. I paid $92 in SC. I did this same drive earlier in the summer. That time, I used EA instead of SC, and I only paid $54 for the same trip. Both times, it was > 100 degrees for much of the drive. It was around 110 degrees in California on the earlier trip, an around 105 the later trip. I always had the AC set to about 67 degrees. And this is with the 20" induction wheels, and Conti DWS 06+ tires.

I also drive to Canada a lot too... I don't know if you do the trek to BC in one day or not, but if you time it right, you can hit the northgate sc during off peak, it's only 23 cents per kwh. Or just use a CCS adapter and Pass+ and pay 31 cents kwh.

Right now, I'm leaning on just taking the Ascent on these long trips. We get up to 350 mi on a tank of gas, and gas is over $1/gal cheaper once we get out of California.
Gas in the PacNW is almost the same price as Northern California... It's still $5/gallon up here, which is better than the $6 gallon it was a little while ago.. I was just in SJ a few weeks ago... Gas looked to be around the same price. And I was in BC a few months ago... When I was up there, a couple stations, gas was $2.93/litre, which works out to $8 USD/gallon.