Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rates are up by 50% ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My renewal notice just arrived and I see about 50% increase in my rate with no accidents and good history. I was payin $730 for 6 months and now all insurance companies show 50 to 100% increase for the rate. One State Farm agent just told me that rates are significantly up for all providers as she was explaining why her rate went up significantly from a quote 30 days ago.

Anyone else seeing this increases recently? I wonder if something that is specific to my risk profile or general.

Same with Homeowers insurance.

Inflation, supply chain issues, plus big increases in minimum wages have pushed insurance company costs way up. Private adjusters game the system as well to increase pay outs.

As long as Governments mandate insurance for any financed property, they can get the high rates.

Reactions: father_of_6
We've had economic stability for so many decades that we've come to take it for granted. That's no longer the case.

Minimum wage has doubled in many areas in the last decade, and costs are increasing because of that. Scarcity, greed, and global health scares have caused some industries to vastly increase their prices, which in turn cascades to many other industries.

Additionally, insurance underwriters are taking it on the chin in some areas due to massive increases in housing and construction costs plus widespread natural disasters. Add to that the fact that Teslas cost a LOT to repair and are totalled for less damage than typical.

These things all add up.

Looks like this change mostly impacts Washington state drivers due to increase in medical and repair cost in this state. That’s what the agent told me
I'm very sorry to disagree with you. My rate in for my 2020 MY LR almost doubled. I and my agent are just starting to seek other quotes. I'm not sure I see the relationship people have been mentioning between the increases in minimum wages and the raise in insurance rates. What role do minimum wage workers have in insurance and car repairs?

I have Tesla Insurance, in Colorado. 2022 Model Y LR.

First six months on that averaged $138/mo.
(although was lower after the first two months as our Safety Score got to 94 to 97 vs 90 assumed in months 1&2)

Was about $33/mo. less than we were paying w USAA.
(USAA quoted me $1550 for 6 mos. / Tesla actual came in at $828 for 6 mos, w/ full comp & collision and very high liability insured benefits).

I haven't had insurance for a few years, as I had no car. But Progressive 23 M3P is $5,544 per year or $462 per month AND it went up 15% even though my agent said it would go down after 6 months. This coverage is over half the cost of the car! I've never been in an accident, and this car is 4x safer than other vehicles should reduce the premiums. She shopped around and other providers are higher, and I could save some by adjusting the coverage and deductible but not by much...