Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rates are up by 50% ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Zero accidence or moving violations in my life.
Yeah, Progressive is (was) painful for me too.

I previously had AAA, but for some reason messed up my payment at the end of last year (some how cancelled the outgoing payment in my bank’s payment system). Didn’t even realize until a month and half AFTER the policy expired. Tried to fix it, but they said I couldn’t reinstate the policy and had to use another company for 6 months before I could get a new policy from AAA. So I shopped around and ended up getting Progressive.

It was less than $700 for 6 months for two cars, 2010 Honda Fit Sport and 2019 Honda HR-V Touring. About the same as the AAA policy I had. $110-ish per month.

During this time, I was in the process of trading in the HR-V for the 2023 MYP, which I picked up 2 weeks after starting the insurance policy. So I updated it to switch the cars… went up by another $600 or so, now almost $1400 per 6 months for the Fit and MYP. $230-ish per month.

Fast forward to last month, the end of those 6 months. Policy renewal was over $2200, but discounted to $1850 or so if paid in full from the start. $360/$300 or so per month.

Decided to give Tesla Insurance a shot. It started off at $250 per month (two cars). Cheaper than the Progressive policy renewal, but only time will tell if it’s any cheaper in the long run, as my “Safety Score” is all over the place. I got as low as 53 and as high as 98 in few days I’ve had it. I need to get 85 average for the premium to match Progressive’s discounted price.

Did an online quote from AAA, in case I can’t maintain a high enough score, but it’s not really any different. So I guess I’ll just stick with Tesla Insurance for now.

Last edited:
Im in Florida, I have progressive. 3 vehicles 2 drivers. Only one vehicle used for work commute. Other two vehicles MIGHT get driven 100-200 miles a month MAYBE. No tickets, no accident or any claims. I just got a 2015 S P85D. My rates went from $1,300 for 6 months which I already thought was high to $3,100! I'm gonna shop around. If this is all because of adding the Tesla, its not worth it. If I cant find MUCH cheaper insurance I will be selling it. I cant justify 520 a month for car insurance!

Im in Florida, I have progressive. 3 vehicles 2 drivers. Only one vehicle used for work commute. Other two vehicles MIGHT get driven 100-200 miles a month MAYBE. No tickets, no accident or any claims. I just got a 2015 S P85D. My rates went from $1,300 for 6 months which I already thought was high to $3,100! I'm gonna shop around. If this is all because of adding the Tesla, its not worth it. If I cant find MUCH cheaper insurance I will be selling it. I cant justify 520 a month for car insurance!
wow. it may worth to call and ask, they may made typo, by putting "1" after "3".

wow. it may worth to call and ask, they may made typo, by putting "1" after "3".
No typo, I spoke with a Progressive agent over the phone to try to get the rates down and even if he basically gutted my plan and gave me all state minimums it didn't save much. I just got done on the phone switching to Farm Bureau. They were able to INCREASE my coverage, lower my deductible, add rental coverage, and do it at HALF the cost of Progressive. Plus the rate is the same whether I pay monthly or lump sum. With Progressive if I didnt pay lump sum it made the premiums go up ANOTHER 120 bucks a month. So if you are in the state of Florida Id suggest giving them a call 904-259-6332 and ask for Justin Webb.

P.S. the only caveat, if you can call it that, is you have to pay a yearly membership fee for Farm Bureau which was 47 bucks.

With Progressive if I didnt pay lump sum it made the premiums go up ANOTHER 120 bucks a month.

I have a really hard time believing that Progressive charges $120 a month as an installment FEE on top of your actual payment.

That just doesn't jive with any sort of real life economics. How would Progressive actually have any customers if this were true?

So if you are in the state of Florida Id suggest giving them a call 904-259-6332 and ask for Justin Webb.

Ahh... now I see. This whole thread has been a marketing ploy for insurance salesmen. That makes a lot more sense. I was wracking my brain trying to understand how it could be possible that some people are paying $6k a year for auto insurance.

Our insurance for 2 vehicles (Model 3 and family van) and 2 drivers is like $1300 annually. But thanks anyways @FireFighterHil A.K.A. "Justin Webb". 😜

I have a really hard time believing that Progressive charges $120 a month as an installment FEE on top of your actual payment.

That just doesn't jive with any sort of real life economics. How would Progressive actually have any customers if this were true?

Ahh... now I see. This whole thread has been a marketing ploy for insurance salesmen. That makes a lot more sense. I was wracking my brain trying to understand how it could be possible that some people are paying $6k a year for auto insurance.

Our insurance for 2 vehicles (Model 3 and family van) and 2 drivers is like $1300 annually. But thanks anyways @FireFighterHil A.K.A. "Justin Webb". 😜
Yup, caught me. That was my whole ploy. Not trying to help in Florida save some money!

Now GFYS

Attachments

• IMG_8178.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg
    952.9 KB · Views: 107
My Progressive insurance has doubled in about a year, too. It’s all crooked here in WA State. The local government stated that insurance companies can no longer charge more to those with low credit scores etc, which is fine. I don’t think people should be penalized on their car insurance for this. But then, to make up for the shortfall in revenue, insurance companies are upping everyone’s rates. I’m now paying over $2k a year for my 2022 S Plaid in Seattle, for insurance. Was half of that just over a year ago. Add on my tabs which are nearly $2k as well, I’m paying $4k a year before my car even sees the outside of my garage.

Sorry I took it that way. Insurance prices in Florida have gone crazy. My home owners has almost doubled as well. I had to replace my roof just to get most of them to even give me a quote. I’m irritated that progressive wanted to charge me so much as I’ve been with them for a long time.
I've read news articles recently about home insurers withdrawing from FL and CA due to natural disasters... perhaps they're trying to correct their bottom lines via auto insurance. Those numbers are just astronomical. It's like doubling the price of the car.

I also live in Rochester (a safe suburb of). My insurance is presently $529 per month. This is also with a new-this-year insurance company after I shopped around. Zero claims on our insurance, but we have a 2022 truck, 2022 rav4, and a 2023 model 3. What is absolutely obliterating us is two teen drivers, who have tripled our rate. As recently as ~three years ago we had a seven year old minivan and brand new volvo, and wife and I were paying around $120/month.

Hopefully the fact our daughter totaled her car hitting a deer a month ago won't result in a bump when we renew.

I also live in Rochester (a safe suburb of). My insurance is presently $529 per month. This is also with a new-this-year insurance company after I shopped around. Zero claims on our insurance, but we have a 2022 truck, 2022 rav4, and a 2023 model 3. What is absolutely obliterating us is two teen drivers, who have tripled our rate. As recently as ~three years ago we had a seven year old minivan and brand new volvo, and wife and I were paying around $120/month.

Hopefully the fact our daughter totaled her car hitting a deer a month ago won't result in a bump when we renew.
If there was a claim filed, it most likely will - as the insurance company will want to recoup the payout over time. Insurance payouts amount to nothing more than an expensive loan, really...

• Disagree
Reactions: EatsShoots
If there was a claim filed, it most likely will - as the insurance company will want to recoup the payout over time. Insurance payouts amount to nothing more than an expensive loan, really...
My agent claims that a deer strike may not as they are not a driver’s fault, although we’ll see. Possibly she could have been more aware in the area, but sometimes they are just very hard to avoid.

My agent claims that a deer strike may not as they are not a driver’s fault, although we’ll see. Possibly she could have been more aware in the area, but sometimes they are just very hard to avoid.
From many conversations with multiple different insurance agents over the years, they don’t care who’s at fault. All they care about is did they pay out. My mother was hit twice in one year by uninsured motorists while sitting at a stop light. The second accident they totaled her car. Her insurance dropped her.

It’s all about the bottom line. They paid out to you for the repair and need to replenish the coffers somehow. Post back here after the renewal and let us know what actually happened!

Reactions: FireFighterHil