Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a “new” inventory 2018 Model S a couple months ago and it came with a rattle at 4500 miles. I just had it fixed and left with it being worse and got home to a passenger door handle not working ayyyyy.

Love the car but these problems are a bummer.
Update on my rattle and car issues:

The first "fix" they tried was to replace both front strut tower braces. They indicated they test drove the car and did not hear anything. I drove it off the lot and it was WORSE. It has become worse since this fix as well. I can actually feel the rattling now. I took it back in and they have order more parts and are waiting on them and will replace more. I don't know exactly what they ordered.

The passenger front handle that went crazy and would moving in and out on its own and making a crazy noise has all of the sudden started working again. They had ordered a new handle as well. Has worked for a couple weeks now.

The rattle is very disappointing for a car at 5k miles at premium pricing. I feel like I need to explain it to any passengers because its so pronounced. If they are unable to fix this I would consider other options and start a real discussion with them on what to do. Not willing to accepting this for the rest of the life of the car.

You guys better watch this video from Ove Krõger. He disattaches the front tower braces, and as expected, the noise is significantly reduced. Then he tries some rubber isolation. Some commenters suggest maybe the "domlager" is the problem - so a new revision of the 77-C could do the trick? I would suggest Tesla get this issue solved pretty fast - this is getting nastier on social media.

You guys better watch this video from Ove Krõger. He disattaches the front tower braces, and as expected, the noise is significantly reduced. Then he tries some rubber isolation. Some commenters suggest maybe the "domlager" is the problem - so a new revision of the 77-C could do the trick? I would suggest Tesla get this issue solved pretty fast - this is getting nastier on social media.
I am convinced that this can be "domlager" (bushings at the top of the strut). But I am pretty sure Bilsteing can do their job with excellence that such a well established company can exhibit in their products. whan I mean by this is I do not believe that Bilstein struts have anything wrong with them. This leads me to the thought of something challenging struts in the vehicle construction. I hope someone who possesses more sufficient knowledge about this could shed some light on what were the design changes after face-lift april 2016 in Model S.

Reactions: daktari
My rattle is starting to return, just on the passenger side, and only intermittent. Got the 77-C's installed about 2 months ago. One reason I bought the extended warranty - I'll just keep getting them replaced every time Tesla comes up with a redesign. And under my state's Lemon Law, after try #4 fails within the original warranty, Tesla has to give me a new car :)

Sorry if this has been previously posted on any of the past 45 pages of this thread, but browsing the NHTSA website I found a Service Bulletin (now called Manufacturer Communications) from this past October, highlighting the issue with the rattle noise from the air suspension.

What stunned me was the fact that the Bulletin describes a testing procedure involving a "Temporary Modification" using a double-folded shop towel that the Service Center must performe before replacing the front air spring modules... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf

And the bulletin says;
4. If during the road test (after removing the shock tower brace bolts):
• The front-end rattle noise was not heard, discontinue this procedure and replace the LH and RH front air spring modules (refer to Service Manual procedure 31105002).
• The front-end rattle noise was still heard, then the noise is not resolved by this bulletin. Continue to the next step.

And it goes on:

NOTE: Refer to Toolbox articles, for example #27522, #27520, and #31344, to help identify the source of the noise.

So it sounds like there is at least 4 different sources for a similar noise. (Assuming that each of those toolbox articles describe another one.)

And I imagine it is possible that a given car can suffer from more than one of the causes at the same time, which I think would complicate the diagnosis.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
And it goes on:

So it sounds like there is at least 4 different sources for a similar noise. (Assuming that each of those toolbox articles describe another one.)

And I imagine it is possible that a given car can suffer from more than one of the causes at the same time, which I think would complicate the diagnosis.

With some patience, subtitles and translation to English you can easily understand that the noise is coming from the top of the strut. See the famous video series dedicated to the infamous problem of this thread few posts back. There is a comment from the author in English about this as well.

The question is what causes detrimental effects on the struts? What was the set of design changes some time after post-facelift that contributed to this.

People are fed up by the lacking solution, service center inability to diagnose this problem in some cases, and hillarious attempts to make the problem look insignificant. How long this can go on I cannot tell, but this must come to an end very soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: TS_Rob and MP3Mike
With some patience, subtitles and translation to English you can easily understand that the noise is coming from the top of the strut. See the famous video series dedicated to the infamous problem of this thread few posts back. There is a comment from the author in English about this as well.

I get that the struts can cause the noise, but again are you trying to say that the struts are the only possible cause of the noise? And that a car couldn't suffer from 2, or more, root issues at the same time?

Have you isolated the struts in your car like the TSB says to see if it eliminates the noise?

• Disagree
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I get that the struts can cause the noise, but again are you trying to say that the struts are the only possible cause of the noise? And that a car couldn't suffer from 2, or more, root issues at the same time?
Quite the opposite. I do not focus on the struts. I have reasons to believe that the struts quality align very well with the highest requirements of Bilstein - an established international company with solid QA procedures and good reputation worldwide. Bilstein must know they are doing an excellent jobb in the domain. I think there was a mistake made in the integral solution for front suspension, which is where the design changes were made some time post-april 2016. You should read my post again and you will understand what I mean.

Have you isolated the struts in your car like the TSB says to see if it eliminates the noise?
Not my job. But I am sure technicians in Tesla SC possess sufficient knowledge about what needs to be done. The repairs have been carried out by the top ranked technicians for what I know - something that you repeatedly ignored, when commenting on my posts.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I had the 77-Cs installed about 3 weeks ago. Got the car back and the noise was gone! I was really happy after waiting for nearly a year for the issue to be sorted. Then 2 days later whilst driving I heard the rattle again. Feint but it was there.. Since then its becoming more prominent and getting louder. 77-Cs have not fixed the issue. Tesla need to take this seriously now. If i wanted to sell the car tomorrow, nobody is going to buy it whilst it's rattling.

I’m keeping this alive because it’s annoying AF. Still waiting for parts. Getting worse. Now feels like steering is a bit looser and may be pulling to left a little. Seems steering wheel is not centered now. Not sure if it’s related to this rattling. Car just doesn’t feel as tight to drive. Brake pedal feels loose and loud as well compared to a loaner I received on first round of repairs. Also I feel no difference on steering settings. 5k miles. Blah.

Got my car back after service today. I made sure at least 10 times throughout the process that they will install the new RWD air spring module part (1067362-77-B) for me, but guess what... after I got home and looked, the part number is still the old one (1067362-25-B) and rattle returned in less than 20 miles... FML!! :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren