Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Performance in Europe - only hits 140 kW for few minutes, 92 kW for the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for reviving this old thread. I'm in Denmark and have a Sept 19 MX LRP (Raven). Software is currently 2023.20.4.1.

Tesla SC says the CCS adapter is limited to 142 kW and this is the reason for not being able to go higher at any point during the charging cycle. https://shop.tesla.com/da_dk/product/model-x-ccs-opgradering

Anyone in EU seeing higher charge rates on a Raven M/S using a CCS2 adapter?

Kind regards
Tor
With no adaptor It reaches up to 250 Kwt in Spain, but those chargers are very rare, and charge at that speed only a few minutes. Normally we have here 150 Kwts chargers of the 2-nd Generation and on Its peak It reaches 150, then it downs until 70-80 Kwts the most of time.

Apologies for reviving this old thread. I'm in Denmark and have a Sept 19 MX LRP (Raven). Software is currently 2023.20.4.1.

Tesla SC says the CCS adapter is limited to 142 kW and this is the reason for not being able to go higher at any point during the charging cycle. https://shop.tesla.com/da_dk/product/model-x-ccs-opgradering

Anyone in EU seeing higher charge rates on a Raven M/S using a CCS2 adapter?

Kind regards
Tor
Adapter was limited to 142kW but the limit was lifted to 192kW already over a year ago.

I noticed with 2023.7.20, the charging curve (in V3 station) is more linear and doesn't drop to 94 kW after about 29% SOC it used to.

I am seeing 158KW at 20% SOC, 100 kw at 51% SOC and 72 kW at 72% SOC. Anybody else see this? I have Model X 2017 100D.

Finally, Tesla engineers seem like they have spent time fixing the broken charging curve (used to be linear like this back in 2018/19 time frame) for legacy cars.

Last edited:
Still seeing the same major drop to 250A (~92kW) after less than 30% charged.

It is quite unsatisfactory, especially since I'm not sure that this isn't damaging to the car. Seems like some sort of safe-mode, and there is no external indication that the car is doing anything to remedy it, other than the apparent throttling..

I also see that the CCS adapter should be unlocked in Europe almost a year ago, but for some reason I'm getting the same sub-140kW power than before when using it. Anyone else still seeing these speeds in Europe? It seems that the reports on higher adapter kW is predominantly coming from Germany. I am in Denmark, but charging in Germany yield the same speeds (or lack thereof)..

Still seeing the same major drop to 250A (~92kW) after less than 30% charged.

It is quite unsatisfactory, especially since I'm not sure that this isn't damaging to the car. Seems like some sort of safe-mode, and there is no external indication that the car is doing anything to remedy it, other than the apparent throttling..

I also see that the CCS adapter should be unlocked in Europe almost a year ago, but for some reason I'm getting the same sub-140kW power than before when using it. Anyone else still seeing these speeds in Europe? It seems that the reports on higher adapter kW is predominantly coming from Germany. I am in Denmark, but charging in Germany yield the same speeds (or lack thereof)..
I’m in a same boat. Max I’ve seen is a bit over 140 kW and it get’s throttled down to 90+ kW (=250 A) after ~12 minutes. I’ve got one of the last Raven’s and it has the version H battery.

Car has been in service center several times but all they do is run some generic cooling test which doesn’t indicate any problems. I agree that it seems like some safety mode kicking in due to strict limit to 250 A. Interestingly, I never hear any loud cooling fan nouse while charging. Should it be like that?

Is there any way to escalate this to people higher in Tesla who would actually have some knowledge instead of getting the same "your cooling system is fine" from local SC?

I’m in a same boat. Max I’ve seen is a bit over 140 kW and it get’s throttled down to 90+ kW (=250 A) after ~12 minutes. I’ve got one of the last Raven’s and it has the version H battery.

Car has been in service center several times but all they do is run some generic cooling test which doesn’t indicate any problems. I agree that it seems like some safety mode kicking in due to strict limit to 250 A. Interestingly, I never hear any loud cooling fan nouse while charging. Should it be like that?

Is there any way to escalate this to people higher in Tesla who would actually have some knowledge instead of getting the same "your cooling system is fine" from local SC?
My car has the G pack with slightly lower capacity than yours. According to
the newer raven packs (G and supposedly also H) don't run fans high like the earlier models. But the general consensus seems to be that the Raven cars should be able to keep 140kW to around 50%, then throttle somewhat linearly to around 100kW at 65% and further down after that. That would be completely acceptable for me, but unfortunately not what I am seeing.

I had the cooling fan changed recently, but it didn't do anything about the charging speeds. I think the main way to get Tesla to recognize the problem is to show that other cars don't exhibit the same behaviour. During an earlier talk with the SC they told me that they have the ability to escalate to higher in the organisation, but apparently there needs to be a substantial reason to do so. Multiple owners experiencing the same unidentified problem would qualify in my opinion.

It would be great if other people here in the EU with the same cars (preferably G/H packs) could post their charge curves - both good and bad - so we can get a better picture of what the
"norm" is. @_jmk would you be willing to update us on how your car is charging and maybe post a curve?

Also very weird about the adapter not unlocking for us, but guess that isn't as beneficial as avoiding the "safe-mode" that we are seeing at the moment..