Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Performance in Europe - only hits 140 kW for few minutes, 92 kW for the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I had one of those before. 40kWh in 28 minutes or so and then it dries up pretty bad. Funny that the btx5 works much better in the X than in the S.
Yep..

1649708908899.jpeg

Recorded the charge again yesterday. My conclusion is that there is no improvement in charging speed with the latest update (2022.12.3.1)
Details:
- Values derived from ScanMyTesla (iOS)
- Outside temp was 11 C
- Running 2022.12.3.1
- Model X Raven, December 2019, E-Pack, 54.000 km
- Scan My Tesla reports Nominal Full pack at 92,7 kWh
- Started charging at 13%. Pack was pre-heated (message about pre-heating had disappeared a while already when arrived at the supercharger)
- Supercharger was v2
- Charged from 13 to 80%

Comparing this to my previous post, I added a graph too. The curve was different when comparing it to a previous software version, but not faster. The peak came later and was lower (even though the batteries were already 1 degree warmer than in my previous recorded session)
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-24 om 10.40.01.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-24 om 10.30.23.png

My saga continues. The car (late 2020 MX LR+) has now been checked twice, apparently in both times they just run some cooling related test cycle and found no issues so Tesla's claim is that there are no problems in my car. But the charging curve looks like this:

Charging_power.png

So it charges at the expected rate for ~12 minutes and then drops sharply to 90+ kW level. And at that level it is actually capped exactly to 250 A current, charging power raises slightly due battery voltage increase. Battery temp was at ~40 degC (105 degF) level at the start of the charging so should be warm enough.

Is this unique to my car or is this how the charge curve really looks like nowadays? That 250 A current limitation looks really weird and for me suggest that there is some artificial limitation that kicks in for some reason. It used to be much faster. I recall a curve from a year ago which started like this but continued at 130-140 kW level way longer (close 50% SOC) and started gradually ramping down from there to give 100 kW still at 65% SOC.

Reactions: woes
So it charges at the expected rate for ~12 minutes and then drops sharply to 90+ kW level. And at that level it is actually capped exactly to 250 A current, charging power raises slightly due battery voltage increase. Battery temp was at ~40 degC (105 degF) level at the start of the charging so should be warm enough.

Is this unique to my car or is this how the charge curve really looks like nowadays? That 250 A current limitation looks really weird and for me suggest that there is some artificial limitation that kicks in for some reason. It used to be much faster. I recall a curve from a year ago which started like this but continued at 130-140 kW level way longer (close 50% SOC) and started gradually ramping down from there to give 100 kW still at 65% SOC.
If it starts out with the battery already at 40ºC, it may be rolling back the current due to excessive heat.

Which software version are you on now? Mine stopped doing that with recent updates, I'm on 2022.16.something now. Have supercharged on a V3 a bunch of times recently and the precipitous drop down to <100kw is no longer there - it eventually settles there but it's a much more gradual ramp (used to do exactly what your chart says). It has not had any service of any kind so no cooling fans got plugged back in at the service center or anything like that. And it peaks at 195-204kw depending on how hot it is and ramps down gradually over the first 20kwh, instead of dropping off a cliff after the first 5kw and holding at 90-95kw for the rest of the charge until the voltage taper

If it starts out with the battery already at 40ºC, it may be rolling back the current due to excessive heat.
Is that really too hot? Even the preheat brings it close to that value (30+). I’ve understood that the optimum temperature while charging is between 40-60 °C. I don’t hear cooling fans to kick in anytime though, should I hear them on Raven MX?
Which software version are you on now? Mine stopped doing that with recent updates, I'm on 2022.16.something now. Have supercharged on a V3 a bunch of times recently and the precipitous drop down to <100kw is no longer there - it eventually settles there but it's a much more gradual ramp (used to do exactly what your chart says). It has not had any service of any kind so no cooling fans got plugged back in at the service center or anything like that. And it peaks at 195-204kw depending on how hot it is and ramps down gradually over the first 20kwh, instead of dropping off a cliff after the first 5kw and holding at 90-95kw for the rest of the charge until the voltage taper
Problem started already last summer, so it’s been over several software versions. I just got a notification of 2022.16.3 and installing it now, looking forward trying it out.

Is that really too hot? Even the preheat brings it close to that value (30+). I’ve understood that the optimum temperature while charging is between 40-60 °C. I don’t hear cooling fans to kick in anytime though, should I hear them on Raven MX?

Problem started already last summer, so it’s been over several software versions. I just got a notification of 2022.16.3 and installing it now, looking forward trying it out.
Optimal battery temperature for charging is roughly between 10ºC to 30ºC. It slows below and above those limits. That is why the vehicle cooling system screams like crazy as the temp goes up. The Model X can get very loud on a hot afternoon. I could hear my 2018 at 500 yards across a parking lot. I have not Supercharged my 2022 yet, except for a few minutes just to check functionality.

My cars charging curve was back to the one it was as new yesterday.

142kW up to 42%, 120kW at 49%, 100kW at 68% and 73kW at 80kW. Plenty fast enough, no nerfing. Good 120kW average for the session.

Still few weeks ago with older release I saw it do this drop to 100kW at 33%. It did hold that 100kW nicely up to 68%, so it wasn't that big of a deal but now it seems fully back to where it was. Happy, this is indeed fast enough given that this thing has nice range.

My saga continues. The car (late 2020 MX LR+) has now been checked twice, apparently in both times they just run some cooling related test cycle and found no issues so Tesla's claim is that there are no problems in my car. But the charging curve looks like this:

View attachment 824919

Same charging curve here. Better since previous releases.

Model x raven long range MSM
Dec 2019
58.000 km

My performance on two different V3's is about the same as it was. Ramp from low (like, 10 or below) SoC, up to 200kw (max observed was 205) for some small number of minutes, maybe 3-4 min, followed by fairly rapid throttle-down to about 90-94kw - then hold in that 90-95 range until ~50% (I never charged above 50% this trip; in the past it has ramped back up to 110 or so before ramping down again at higher SoC's).

It results in adding about 30% in about 18-19 minutes, which is fine for supercharger hopping every 70 miles or so, but would need a 45 minute charge to skip a charger most of the time.

Eh. If it gets any worse I guess I'll log it and see what's going on but even in pretty crap conditions it was no big deal considering I also need to do things. This was a three-stop 480 mile trip that could have been two if I had managed to remember to schedule charging but left at 91%, and it was windy, raining and cold the whole time. I did hear the car's cooling kick on, briefly, but again, max temp today was 50 degrees and two of the sessions were 40 degrees.
This is my exact experience with my Sept 2020 X LR++, max 205 kW but only until 25% SOC then ramps down quickly to 95 kW where it stays for a long while. I need to pull data but it doesn’t seem like V3 charging is any faster than V2 for charging to 60%+, V2 stays at 150 kW beyond 35-40% SOC. Only benefit of V3 I see is no pairing, though full V3 pedestals can mean less than max V3 power depending on power feed.

This is my exact experience with my Sept 2020 X LR++, max 205 kW but only until 25% SOC then ramps down quickly to 95 kW where it stays for a long while. I need to pull data but it doesn’t seem like V3 charging is any faster than V2 for charging to 60%+, V2 stays at 150 kW beyond 35-40% SOC. Only benefit of V3 I see is no pairing, though full V3 pedestals can mean less than max V3 power depending on power feed.
It’s a heat thing. Our legacy cars just weren’t designed to take 500A+ for more than a few minutes. On a V3 the charge curve seems to back off more linear if you plug in (all other things being ideal) at low 20’s SOC%.

It’s a lot less broken-seeming to me now. It doesn’t jump to 205 and then drop to 95 immediately, it’s more gradual but you still end up down at 95ish after adding the first 15kwh or so. My last charge added 21kwh inunder 10 min, starting in the teens. So quick stops are quite a bit better than they were when it was taking 15 min to get to the same charge starting from around the same SoC. And the fans are running again on this software. For a while it seemed really, really broken, like at most 2-3 min of 200+ and then you’re stuck below 100 for the rest of the charge.

Last edited:
It’s a lot less broken-seeming to me now. It doesn’t jump to 205 and then drop to 95 immediately, it’s more gradual but you still end up down at 95ish after adding the first 15kwh or so. My last charge added 21kwh inunder 10 min, starting in the teens. So quick stops are quite a bit better than they were when it was taking 15 min to get to the same charge starting from around the same SoC. And the fans are running again on this software. For a while it seemed really, really broken, like at most 2-3 min of 200+ and then you’re stuck below 100 for the rest of the charge.
Yes, I noticed something like yours in my 2017 100D Model X. I am not sure if the time to charge is the same between V2 and V3 for say 15% to 80%.

Interesting: some people are now posting pictures of Xs charging at 160kW+ with the CCS adapter that used to max out at 142kW. Hope it's not a bug and the adapter limit has been increased.
Apologies for reviving this old thread. I'm in Denmark and have a Sept 19 MX LRP (Raven). Software is currently 2023.20.4.1.

Tesla SC says the CCS adapter is limited to 142 kW and this is the reason for not being able to go higher at any point during the charging cycle. https://shop.tesla.com/da_dk/product/model-x-ccs-opgradering

Anyone in EU seeing higher charge rates on a Raven M/S using a CCS2 adapter?

Kind regards
Tor