Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Model 3 UK Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do people think 'spirited' driving i.e. not hanging around will affect the range? Will it plummet?

Yes I think it does, but not as much as an ICE would. To be honest I don't potter around slowly enough to make the comparison the other way!

But what I do find is that long journey range (when range actually matters to most) is really only dependent on your motorway cruising speed (and ambient conditions, but you can't do anything about those!). There's a graph somewhere showing consumption vs speed and as you can imagine it is not linear (since power required is proportional to the cube of your speed). So if you are cruising at a ticket risking 85 mph, you lose a lot of range relative to cruising at 70 mph. Even dropping your cruising speed by 5 mph makes a significant difference at motorway speeds.

Reactions: Roy W.
Yes I think it does, but not as much as an ICE would. To be honest I don't potter around slowly enough to make the comparison the other way!

There's a graph somewhere showing consumption vs speed and as you can imagine it is not linear (since power required is proportional to the cube of your speed). So if you are cruising at a ticket risking 85 mph, you lose a lot of range relative to cruising at 70 mph. Even dropping your cruising speed by 5 mph makes a significant difference at motorway speeds.

Hi From Australia !

Is this the range chart at different speeds you are looking for ?

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Attachments

• 3-mi-710.png
    3-mi-710.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Hi From Australia !

No, I've seen them in graph form for Model S/X. At a quick glance, those extrapolated range figures vs speed in that table don't look right to me as they are showing a more or less linear loss of range vs speed, which would be nice but sadly violating the laws of physics.

Edit: Actually I could be wrong, as a quick look at a few graphs do suggest range tailing off like this at higher speeds. I guess the motor must be running more efficiently in that speed range.

Last edited:
That’s interesting.

On the Model I’ve ordered basically over 60 mph, I’ll lose roughly 25 miles of range for each 5mph increase in cruising speed.

Yep, that's about it. I expected you would lose even more range at higher speeds due to the non-linear aero forces, but having looked at a few graphs now, they all seem to show a consistent near linear loss between 60 and 90 mph.

Yes I think it does, but not as much as an ICE would.
Really? that seems unlikely ICE cars are 40% efficient at the very best. EV's are nearer 90%.
As you increase speed the Energy required goes up in a squared relationship with speed but the efficiency losses usually don't go up nearly as much. As a result I would expect driving faster to have a much greater effect on range in an EV than it does in an ICE car.

Really? that seems unlikely ICE cars are 40% efficient at the very best. EV's are nearer 90%.
As you increase speed the Energy required goes up in a squared relationship with speed but the efficiency losses usually don't go up nearly as much. As a result I would expect driving faster to have a much greater effect on range in an EV than it does in an ICE car.

I agree, ICE cars have their maximum range at a higher cruising speed than EVs for the reasons you say. But I took the question to be more related to driving around with a lead foot i.e. using max acceleration whenever possible. IME that also drops the range considerably, but perhaps less so than in an equivalent powered ICE. For example I could drop my Porsche 911 into single digit mpg figures with a spirited cross-country drive vs maybe 30 mpg when taking it easy. In the same scenario with my Model X I can see maybe 500 Wh/mile vs 400 Wh/mile consumption if I back off. But I don't have any exact figures to prove it and I'm not exactly into hyper-miling! I think this makes sense as when you are pushing hard in an ICE car, you are using higher engine speeds in lower gears and efficiency goes out of the window. With an EV it's likely to be more consistent, but still using higher power levels to accelerate faster

Acceleration and braking will affect efficiency quite a bit, as will hills, weather, length of journey... It's why 'real world miles' is so contentious.. different people will have different experiences. Just driving myself on different journeys I could easily have a 20% variance (which is more or less what I saw on the Leaf) depending on different factors, which on a model 3 is +/- 25 miles or so. Between different drivers it gets even more variable.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Hi From Australia !

Very interesting - and much what I was expecting, intending to cruise at 70mph wherever possible. I have found the Leaf 'sweet spot' to cruise at 65 or just below to maximise range without annoying all other road users..
Also - what changed between Mar production and current to reduce range? I wasn't aware of this before...

Acceleration and braking will affect efficiency quite a bit, as will hills, weather, length of journey... It's why 'real world miles' is so contentious.. different people will have different experiences. Just driving myself on different journeys I could easily have a 20% variance (which is more or less what I saw on the Leaf) depending on different factors, which on a model 3 is +/- 25 miles or so. Between different drivers it gets even more variable.

Regenerative braking will also get you back a proportion of the extra energy used in an acceleration on the deceleration. And the rate of deceleration on regen alone is quite substantial. So some of the penalty for this style of driving is reduced in an EV relative to ICE. But only some - it's going to hit you whatever.

Hey Vanilla, sorry forgot to answer the second part of your question. I use Premiere Pro to blur out the number plates. It has a tracking feature which helps save a bit of time but it's still a pain in the arse.
I know I see it a lot on YouTube, but I’ve never really understood the need to blur out your number plate. I’m obviously missing something :rolleyes:
What can someone do with your registration from YouTube that they can’t do with it if they saw your car on the street?

Reactions: ACarneiro
Realistically speaking in UK cruising for extended periods at 80 is rare - at least for me. Might do it for a 1 hour stretch once a month.

Most other times the roads are too windy or busy to go above 60.

My 7 year average in my BMW is 27 mph.

And those average 50 speed limits that are quite common should increase the range quite a bit.

I know I see it a lot on YouTube, but I’ve never really understood the need to blur out your number plate. I’m obviously missing something :rolleyes:
What can someone do with your registration from YouTube that they can’t do with it if they saw your car on the street?
Nothing unless they have access to DVLA information and I think you're right but I think it's always best to be as careful as you can as you never really know who's watching.