Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended another vehicle, not blaming Tesla but wondering why AEB did not activate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you people always hijack these threads??????
Cause he said he had his head turned and did see the cars in front of him coming to a stop.

If we are looking at this for a possible solution to preventing the entire accident and not needing AEB, then by providing an ergonomic change to his side mirrors is a viable solution.

We have all these new technologies to help us when we are distracted or unable to fully be aware of every situation around us. Hence why accidents happen, because they are accidents. If he didn't have to keep his head turn to look over his shoulder, this accident may have been avoided. I linked the video because I had my mirrors set incorrectly during my 10 year driving career and only recently discover this method this year. So I thought I'd shared my newfound knowledge with the great people of this forum =]

Here's a thought:

What if there was a setting to default distance between cars above a certain speed? Not quite cruise control but like TABS
"Tesla Anticipatory Braking System" as it can be toggled on and is independent of cruising speeds.

...isn't that the existing setting for forward collision off/late/medium/early? Or is that just for the on-screen warning and doesn't actually change AEB behavior?

...isn't that the existing setting for forward collision off/late/medium/early? Or is that just for the on-screen warning and doesn't actually change AEB behavior?

I think those are just sensitivity of warnings. What I proposed would be action with intent to maintain distance. Like a "soft AB" that keeps a space cushion regardless of TACC activation. Automatic braking without the emergency aspect.

If the vehicle you are TRACKING went from moving to stopped - yes.

If it's a vehicle that has been stopped already (like at a Red light) - maybe.

and if it's a vehicle only partly in your lane- probably not.

That's why the Tesla hit the parked fire truck. It ignores many stationary objects. (this is not unique to Teslas radar cruise system either).

In fact the owners manual calls this out-

Model 3 owners manual said:
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h), may not brake/ decelerate when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving vehicle or object is in front of you

Reactions: MXWing
Love my M3 but wife doesn’t. AEB is something that needs to work as well as it does in other premium vehicles like the 2016 BMW X3 we had. Several occasions where there were sudden stops in front of us and the X3 came to a complete stop. Never had a problem with false alarms or anything so I don’t get why other manufacturers can do this but Tesla can’t. I’m never going to be able to fully sell my wife on this car if there’s not parity for a critical safety feature like this... ‘slowing down to minor damage’ isn’t really a good marketing slogan when everyone else is showing complete stops in advertising where the only damage occurs in your underwear.

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Don't think that's true. The only message I've seen is that it won't maintain the speed you set AP to because you're accelerating. There's no mention of AEB not working that I've seen.
I may have misread the warning. But I swear thats what it has said a few times.
I suggest checking it again. :)
When you press on the accelerator and are in AP then you get two msgs. The first 1 below shows for a few seconds and then the second one shows up. Confirmed today.

AP:Autosteer piece
C31Fk64.jpg

AP: TACC piece (typically call adaptive cruise by other manf)
5bOJ7LE.jpg

Love my M3 but wife doesn’t. AEB is something that needs to work as well as it does in other premium vehicles like the 2016 BMW X3 we had. Several occasions where there were sudden stops in front of us and the X3 came to a complete stop. Never had a problem with false alarms or anything so I don’t get why other manufacturers can do this but Tesla can’t. I’m never going to be able to fully sell my wife on this car if there’s not parity for a critical safety feature like this... ‘slowing down to minor damage’ isn’t really a good marketing slogan when everyone else is showing complete stops in advertising where the only damage occurs in your underwear.

I would trust TACC more than anyone else's AEB implementation. Turn it on and keep a space cushion. This is the most critical concept taught in drivers ed.

With that said, I manage to not rear end someone in 20 years driving non AEB equipped cars.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
Yes? We know Cruise Control will not brake. AEB still brakes.
I know AEB still brakes all the time and even without AP or TACC and while you press on the accel (as I mentioned above).

I was adding the actual/factual pictures of the messages you get when you override AP with the Accel. I thought that would have been 100% clear based on the text I quoted. Sorry that it wasn't.

I know AEB still brakes all the time and even without AP or TACC and while you press on the accel (as I mentioned above).

I was adding the actual/factual pictures of the messages you get when you override AP with the Accel. I thought that would have been 100% clear based on the text I quoted. Sorry that it wasn't.

Ahhh. I thought you were using it as an argument that the car doesn't use AEB. All good. :) Thanks for showing the screenshots!

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
...I know AEB still brakes all the time and even without AP or TACC and while you press on the accel (as I mentioned above)...

I am confused.

It's like Autosteer keeps the car within a lane "all the time" but not when it is overridden by manual steering.

Does Autosteer still work "all the time" when it's manually turned?

I thought there are ways to override AEB such as manual steering, manual acceleration, manually press and release the brake pedal...

Do you mean AEB works "all the time" as long as it is not manually overridden?

honestly, this is why looking over the shoulders to change lanes/merge is dangerous. Anything can happen in a split second with something in front of you.

This is how my first accident as a novice driver occurred many moons ago.

Now I have my Tesla more often than not I engage AP and have the car make the turn maneuver into the next lane checking mirrors and look over my shoulder while the car is in control of forward acceleration a braking. Since I've been using AP I have not aborted a lane change maneuver a single time, prior to AP I'd abort a maneuver a few times per month.

No more close calls due to me not noticing something. AP rocks.

Sorry to hear of this incident, and pleased no-one was hurt.

A couple of things, When ever possible turn on Autopilot as you go down ramp onto freeway. You will be safer in Autopilot as it can look all around and with you overseeing too will be safer than driving on a busy road with vehicles all around manually. I now hate driving on such roads manually - I feel vulnerable as I can only be looking one way, and often you needs to be looking multiple directions at once. Autopilot is like driving with a co-pilot.

If not on Autopilot, do not turn your head to look over shoulder. Put on rear camera to help see what is happening behind. It is much better looking at screen and still see what is happening in front.

Don’t know why collision avoidance failed in this occasion. It has potentially saved me a couple times when pulling out of turning and car in front unexpectantly stopped

AEB engaged this week on my normal commute under unremarkable circumstances. Normal rush hour, driving like I always do, suddenly (as I am slowing) the car does a full sudden stop. I wasn't moving too fast toward the vehicle ahead of me, and frankly, I worried that I would end up rear-ended from the sudden unexpected stop.

Not thrilled with all this tech.

Yes. Don’t confuse autopilot braking and AEB.

I think that the above statement can cause unsafe confusion as if AEB will still brake which is contrary to what the manual says:

"Automatic Emergency Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes, when:

.You turn the steering wheel sharply.
.You press and release the brake pedal while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
.You accelerate hard while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
.The vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian is no longer detected ahead"