Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just rear-ended in San Francisco in my 2019 Tesla Model 3 (trunk and rear bumper damage), and this is my first accident, so I'd appreciate any advice/help.

Unfortunately, I only got the driver's license + insurance information from the driver and not the owner of the vehicle, so my insurance carrier, State Farm, will need to go find that driver from the license plate + make/model.

In any case, they told me they have a network called "Select Service Program" of preferred auto repair shops. I'm not sure that these repair shops actually service Teslas. Should I just be looking for my own auto repair shop instead?

I'm not too familiar with Tesla repairs. Does anybody have advice/suggestions on how to proceed? I'm open to anything in the Bay Area.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 470
Check Tesla’s approved body shop network.
Body Shop Support

Many of them are in the State Farm network; but you are absolutely 100% free to use any body shop you choose. The advantage for you to use a SF shop is more for them than you - it may speed things up a bit since the paperwork flows quicker.

sorry this happened - if you were in NJ, I’d point you to an amazing body shop both in the Tesla network and the SF network. They’re amazing folks ... but not too useful for you in CA. Sorry!

Things may have changed, but a few years ago some one whanged my car and pulled the front fascia off onto the street while I was parked. It took a couple weeks to get the parts, but my local auto repair ordered and did the work, and I was able to speed up the parts with a few phone calls and emails, which they appreciated.

I can't believe that "only certain shops service Teslas." Any body shop can do body work on any car, although some "specialize" (that is, charge more) on certain makes. My local shop was hundreds of dollars cheaper than the Tesla shop.

Tesla Model S is pretty much all aluminum, but the 3 and Y are steel and aluminum. Body shops do not "service" one brand or another. You need to go to a shop close to your home so you can check on your baby when you want. Other than that, "Tesla" shops don't really exist per se, other than Service Centers, who do not specialize in body work. Any shop that knows how to work steel and aluminum should have no trouble.

My car was fixed brand new from the frame up, and looked and drove as it did when brand new. After I had my car in the shop, the shop hired a Tesla body man, so at least there are a few out there, but body work is pretty much body work. Can't say that Tesla is any different than any other high end aluminum body, and the 3 and Y are even more like the run of the mill cars out there.

I was just rear-ended in San Francisco in my 2019 Tesla Model 3 (trunk and rear bumper damage), and this is my first accident, so I'd appreciate any advice/help.

Unfortunately, I only got the driver's license + insurance information from the driver and not the owner of the vehicle, so my insurance carrier, State Farm, will need to go find that driver from the license plate + make/model.

In any case, they told me they have a network called "Select Service Program" of preferred auto repair shops. I'm not sure that these repair shops actually service Teslas. Should I just be looking for my own auto repair shop instead?

I'm not too familiar with Tesla repairs. Does anybody have advice/suggestions on how to proceed? I'm open to anything in the Bay Area.

Thanks!

I had similar damage done at an approved Tesla Body shop a month ago. That damage is going to be around $4500... you’ll need a new trunk lid and they’ll repair the bumper after they replace some of the brackets that are damaged. I should have gone with the Tesla shop and probably would have replaced (not repaired) the bumper... so I’d go to Tesla in San Jose first and see what they say... your insurance will work with them transparent to you.

Things may have changed, but a few years ago some one whanged my car and pulled the front fascia off onto the street while I was parked. It took a couple weeks to get the parts, but my local auto repair ordered and did the work, and I was able to speed up the parts with a few phone calls and emails, which they appreciated.

I can't believe that "only certain shops service Teslas." Any body shop can do body work on any car, although some "specialize" (that is, charge more) on certain makes. My local shop was hundreds of dollars cheaper than the Tesla shop.

Tesla Model S is pretty much all aluminum, but the 3 and Y are steel and aluminum. Body shops do not "service" one brand or another. You need to go to a shop close to your home so you can check on your baby when you want. Other than that, "Tesla" shops don't really exist per se, other than Service Centers, who do not specialize in body work. Any shop that knows how to work steel and aluminum should have no trouble.

My car was fixed brand new from the frame up, and looked and drove as it did when brand new. After I had my car in the shop, the shop hired a Tesla body man, so at least there are a few out there, but body work is pretty much body work. Can't say that Tesla is any different than any other high end aluminum body, and the 3 and Y are even more like the run of the mill cars out there.
Tesla does certify body shops, which would indicate that personnel have received some form of training from Tesla. So "Tesla certified" body shops do exist. While some Tesla body work is not different from other cars, some body work is different. A "Tesla certified" body shop would seem a prudent thing to search for, instead of letting a random body shop "learn on the job".

I had similar damage done at an approved Tesla Body shop a month ago. That damage is going to be around $4500... you’ll need a new trunk lid and they’ll repair the bumper after they replace some of the brackets that are damaged. I should have gone with the Tesla shop and probably would have replaced (not repaired) the bumper... so I’d go to Tesla in San Jose first and see what they say... your insurance will work with them transparent to you.

Thanks for your help.

My insurance, State Farm, said that if I want to choose my own auto repair shop (like Tesla Service Center), they want me to go through State Farm and have them coordinate it. In any case, I'm going to just set up an appointment with a Tesla Service Center (maybe Berkeley?) in advance. Looks like I'll have to wait for a week or two for an appointment.

@Leeclanual Why do you say that "I should have gone with the Tesla shop" instead of the "approved Tesla Body shop" you went to? And did you suffer any trunk latch sensor damage? My trunk is considered to be "open" by the car computer, so I can't lock my car and it keeps draining tons of battery. I don't have a charger at my home (condo), so it looks like I'm going to need to go to the Supercharger once a day until I can drive it in to be fixed...

Thanks for your help.

My insurance, State Farm, said that if I want to choose my own auto repair shop (like Tesla Service Center), they want me to go through State Farm and have them coordinate it. In any case, I'm going to just set up an appointment with a Tesla Service Center (maybe Berkeley?) in advance. Looks like I'll have to wait for a week or two for an appointment.

@Leeclanual Why do you say that "I should have gone with the Tesla shop" instead of the "approved Tesla Body shop" you went to? And did you suffer any trunk latch sensor damage? My trunk is considered to be "open" by the car computer, so I can't lock my car and it keeps draining tons of battery. I don't have a charger at my home (condo), so it looks like I'm going to need to go to the Supercharger once a day until I can drive it in to be fixed...

Tesla body shops are more prone to replace parts rather than full up body repair... the Tesla certified shops take the low ball estimate by your adjuster and then submit supplements after they rope you in... tripling the cost. My initial estimate was $1,300 for a repair/paint of trunk and bumper cover (not replace)... out the door it was almost 4,500 and only the brackets were new. Tesla recommended a new trunk lid and bumper cover with the brackets... would have been few hundred cheaper and parts would have been factory painted and new... not repaired. Tesla estimate will be higher than the repair estimate... but final bill will be very comparable and in my experience less. I’d recommend dropping it off at the Tesla shop and let them work on it... even if it’s a few weeks wait.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Thanks for your help.

If the car cannot be locked consider your car been not derivable,
as it cannot be parked safely in the street and needs to be keep charged but you can't.

You should bring the car to a Tesla Certified body shop of your choice.
Take an appointment and leave the car at the body shop.

- Even if they prefer getting the car only after ordering the parts and receiving them,
leave the car at the body shop the minute you sign any paper.
This is the only way to get your car to be repaired quickly, otherwise the body shop will make you wait for ever.

Let then the body shop dealing with the insurance directly until you will get your car back,
Inform your insurance that you will make a claim for loss of use and diminished value since
your car will be declared having been in an accident from the DMV report you must have sent.
If you don't have a Police Report make one, it will be useful for your claim.

Body shops have chargers so they will take care of keeping your Tesla charged.
They also know how to put the car in Service Mode, which is needed so the airbags cannot be triggered when working on the car.

During all the time the car will be at the body shop, the other insurance is responsible for providing a renting car,
may be not a Tesla or equivalent, but at least to be able to accommodate the same number of passengers, and pay for the gas.

I got a similar accident and finally the whole rear body has to be replaced, not just the plastic bumper cover and the metal beam underneath.

Note: I visited several locations in the Bay Area and used Barsotti's in San Rafael, CA
after talking to the technicians, not just the sale person, and reading online reviews.
(PM me if you need additional information).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: M@dHatter
Follow whats up suggestion I had a similar accident took about a month the get the parts remember third party dont know how to calibrate sensors and Tesla wont warranty if there is another party doing the body work. Diminish value is a must because you put a claim in your car is now worth less when you go to sell or trade in.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I was hit by somone with State farm in a similar way. Very minor damage fortunately. I was very cautious about going with the State Farm adjusters recommendation. They said they would only pay for their own recommended body shop. This set off all kinds of alarm bells. I went to a few places that seemed to be Tesla authorised and they quoted way higher than what State Farm would pay. In the end I caved and went with State farm suggestion and frankly they were incredible. They were cheaper than everyone else, fully Tesla certified and only worked on very high end cars, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambourghini etc. I guess moral of the story.. I shouldn't be too cynical about insurance companies.

I was hit by somone with State farm in a similar way. Very minor damage fortunately. I was very cautious about going with the State Farm adjusters recommendation. They said they would only pay for their own recommended body shop. This set off all kinds of alarm bells. I went to a few places that seemed to be Tesla authorised and they quoted way higher than what State Farm would pay. In the end I caved and went with State farm suggestion and frankly they were incredible. They were cheaper than everyone else, fully Tesla certified and only worked on very high end cars, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambourghini etc. I guess moral of the story.. I shouldn't be too cynical about insurance companies.
Glad your experience turned out good. Apologies in advance if you already knew this, but I want to mention it anyway as a PSA for those that may not know: insurance companies can’t legally compel you to use their chosen body shops. Tactics like claiming repairs won’t be covered under warranty, or that outside shops will take longer because of paperwork delays are shady.

Reactions: Reborn
Check Tesla’s approved body shop network.
Body Shop Support

Many of them are in the State Farm network; but you are absolutely 100% free to use any body shop you choose. The advantage for you to use a SF shop is more for them than you - it may speed things up a bit since the paperwork flows quicker.

sorry this happened - if you were in NJ, I’d point you to an amazing body shop both in the Tesla network and the SF network. They’re amazing folks ... but not too useful for you in CA. Sorry!

Can you provide the shop info. I’m in NJ, just in case..although I hope I never need it