Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can already hear the underwriters jacking up insurance premium rates on Model 3's...

Yep and it's going to continue and as it does, one can make the argument it's a significant factor against purchasing one and definitely hurts the TCO equation. Which is why Tesla felt the need to offer their own ASAP - in addition to the down-the-road problem of insuring autonomous vehicles.

Reactions: BCNY
Every group needs a troll- question - is this an automated computer generated one from Russia or a real person?

Do you disagree with anything I said, or are you just joining the crowd of "blame everyone else" that's so prevalent in this country? First we find out there isn't any increase in service budget, then we find out there are no new service centers built, and now people are shocked that aftersales support is poor?

There's nothing to "figure out" about this problem. Tesla is not spending enough on aftersales support whether it's nurturing the supply chain, building service centers, or hiring more customer facing personnel. They need to invest less in self driving and more on services. Build up some capital by being a successful car manufacturer first before trying to become an autonomous vehicle company. Elon is trying to run before he can crawl, and both Tesla and it's customers are paying the price.

Tesla had a net loss of 702 million n Q4.

Tesla also had nearly 3 billion less revenue in Q1 than Q4.

There's more to the math but they are not in a position at this second to go on a spending spree :(

If they can't make money from spare parts, they are doing it wrong... Spare parts from most OEMs have ridiculous markups and very high margins.... They should be able to add to the bottom line by supplying these parts.

Had my car been repairable, the Tesla Authorized repair center said 4 to 5 months. How do you do without a car for 4 to 5 months. Insurance only pays for 30 days. I am thrilled they totaled it!

I only have 30 days of car rental with "MY" insurance company.

However, I have "UNLIMITED" car rental from the insurance company of the person who hit me.

$45 per day = approx. $1500 per month being charged to the insurance company of the person who hit me. That's about $6000 for 4 months.

**************** Update ***************
Accident on 6/05/19.
Opened case with Guilty's insurance 6/05/19
Guilty's insurance contacted independant Assessor on 6/6/19
Assessor visited car on 6/10/19

Waiting 24-48 hours for report on Guilty's Assessor's report

We haven't even opened a parts order for Tesla yet. This is going to be a nightmare as this is only happening this fast because I'm pressing EVERYONE to do their jobs.

Parts availability is an issue with Tesla for sure. Something they need to address if they want to survive and compete with other manufacturers. I think it will get better, but was hoping it would have improved already at this point. It also affects insurance premiums. Good luck getting your car fixed!

I bet you availability of parts for repairs was something that Elon overlooked
Accident on 6/05/19.

We haven't even opened a parts order for Tesla yet. This is going to be a nightmare as this is only happening this fast because I'm pressing EVERYONE to do their jobs.

You may want to have the repair shop go ahead and put on the winter tires now, as it could very well be snowing by the time you get your Model 3 back.

Do you disagree with anything I said, or are you just joining the crowd of "blame everyone else" that's so prevalent in this country? First we find out there isn't any increase in service budget, then we find out there are no new service centers built, and now people are shocked that aftersales support is poor?

There's nothing to "figure out" about this problem. Tesla is not spending enough on aftersales support whether it's nurturing the supply chain, building service centers, or hiring more customer facing personnel. They need to invest less in self driving and more on services. Build up some capital by being a successful car manufacturer first before trying to become an autonomous vehicle company. Elon is trying to run before he can crawl, and both Tesla and it's customers are paying the price.

FWIW Tesla appears to be finishing up a massive parts distribution center presumably to address the issues discussed-

Tesla’s massive parts distribution center in Lathrop, CA is nearing completion

From some more recent postings it also sounds like they may be using some of the space to make parts there as well.

Accident on 6/05/19.

I wish I had good news for you but I don't. My accident was in mid April. I have kept a boot to everyone's rear throughout this whole process. Initial estimate of completion date was conservative (I see why now) so as to not disappoint me (was given July 18th as completion date). Burned through insurance 30 day rental. If you email Tesla Body Shop Support, Tesla will cover car rental for time to ship your parts outside of insurance 30 days. I ended up getting lucky with a generous friend who has let me borrow a car for this time. Been waiting over two weeks now for just 2 parts still on backorder with no ETA on when they come in (retaining clips for airbags I guess). About to hit 2 months since accident in 2 more days.

Wait, so you didn’t actually get a repair estimate and parts order?
You are assuming it is 3-4 months based on other cars that may need completely different parts?

I WAS TOLD 3 to 4 months wait on parts from the body shop....that has other Tesla's there.

I'm not assuming 3-4 months. I was told...…..

Elk Grove Tesla owned body shop gave me a much longer time because they have so many Tesla's that they can't look at a Tesla coming into the shop until August.

I wish I had good news for you but I don't. My accident was in mid April. I have kept a boot to everyone's rear throughout this whole process. Initial estimate of completion date was conservative (I see why now) so as to not disappoint me (was given July 18th as completion date). Burned through insurance 30 day rental. If you email Tesla Body Shop Support, Tesla will cover car rental for time to ship your parts outside of insurance 30 days. I ended up getting lucky with a generous friend who has let me borrow a car for this time. Been waiting over two weeks now for just 2 parts still on backorder with no ETA on when they come in (retaining clips for airbags I guess). About to hit 2 months since accident in 2 more days.

Isn't this horrible?

Its Tesla's parts availability that is the primary issue.

Its not like Tesla doesn't have parts - they are just putting them on NEW cars.

Its a fiasco.

Luckily I received some great advice from the body shop on the first day of the accident before I filed anything. They suggested that I file a claim against the insurance company of the lady that hit me. When I did that.....it allowed me to keep the rental until my car is fully repaired. @$45 per day....That's going to be about $1,500 per month. I only got 30 days with my insurance. The lady who hit me also got 30 days of car rental, but I get indefinite rental because she hit me.

I also didn't have to file a claim with "my" insurance....which supposedly will keep my rates from going up.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I WAS TOLD 3 to 4 months wait on parts from the body shop....that has other Tesla's there.

I'm not assuming 3-4 months. I was told...…..

Elk Grove Tesla owned body shop gave me a much longer time because they have so many Tesla's that they can't look at a Tesla coming into the shop until August.
Mine is out in Loves Park (near Rockford). They have like 15-20 Tesla there. Owner is pretty proactive about contacting Tesla about parts. He felt guilty about the wait last time I talked with him. He was more frustrated than I was about the wait on these last couple of parts.

Mine is out in Loves Park (near Rockford). They have like 15-20 Tesla there. Owner is pretty proactive about contacting Tesla about parts. He felt guilty about the wait last time I talked with him. He was more frustrated than I was about the wait on these last couple of parts.

I doubt that anyone in my process will be more frustrated than I am.

Isn't this horrible?

Its Tesla's parts availability that is the primary issue.

Its not like Tesla doesn't have parts - they are just putting them on NEW cars.

Its a fiasco.

Luckily I received some great advice from the body shop on the first day of the accident before I filed anything. They suggested that I file a claim against the insurance company of the lady that hit me. When I did that.....it allowed me to keep the rental until my car is fully repaired. @$45 per day....That's going to be about $1,500 per month. I only got 30 days with my insurance. The lady who hit me also got 30 days of car rental, but I get indefinite rental because she hit me.

I also didn't have to file a claim with "my" insurance....which supposedly will keep my rates from going up.

Take my advice. Write up a polite email to Tesla Body Shop support and ask if you can get a loaner since the delay is on Tesla (for parts). They should offer you an Enterprise rental at least from day 31 to whenever they get the last part shipped to the repair shop.
[email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde and BCNY

Is yours a model 3?

Take my advice. Write up a polite email to Tesla Body Shop support and ask if you can get a loaner since the delay is on Tesla (for parts). They should offer you an Enterprise rental at least from day 31 to whenever they get the last part shipped to the repair shop.
[email protected]

I don't need a rental.

Guiltys ( the name of the lady who hit me ) insurance company is providing a rental the entire time @$45 per day.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA