Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wonder if going through their insurance isn't adding some lag time? They may be delaying things or at least not processing outside claims as fast as their own customers. I will say that when our MS was scraped last November, the other's insurance company Allstate was very prompt in sending out the adjuster and working with Tesla's body shop to get the claim handled. They made it so painless for us we were surprised. We did have two witnesses to it and dashcam footage of their insured hitting the car and leaving the parking lot so maybe that factored into it as well. However I know from reading other accounts of insurance claims, some had horrible experiences dealing with the other insurance company (didn't note with which insurance companies those were but you get stuck with the other party's regardless unless you decide to go with your own to process). We did have a 2-month wait for a repair appointment but it wasn't really parts related more labor back up.

Last edited:
I also wonder if going through their insurance isn't adding some lag time? They maybe delaying things or at least not processing outside claims as fast as their own customers. I will say that when our MS was scraped last November, the other's insurance company Allstate was very prompt in sending out the adjuster and working with Tesla's body shop to get the claim handled. They made it so painless for us we were surprised. I know from reading some other people's accounts of their insurance claims, some had horrible experiences (didn't note with which insurance companies though and you get stuck with the one from the other party anyway unless you decide to go with your own to process). We did have a 2 month wait for an appointment even there however but it wasn't really parts related more labor back up.

I've been all over her insurance company. They aren't delaying anything. I won't let them. They are responding.

Now....if they don't pay the body shop....I won't have anything to do with that.

Guilty's insurance company put in the order for an adjuster to come out last Thursday evening. He called me and told me he would be there on Monday. I called him this morning to ask for his report and he told me it will be available this afternoon after he uploads all of the pictures...etc. He said he would send me a copy of everything.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and SMAlset
The thing that is really going to bother me today is listening to Tesla's earnings call where they are going to post how much money they made.

Its not like they CAN'T afford repair parts.....

Yeah I don't get worked up about that as much. They do need a lot of improvement with post purchase support though. Going through an accident repair with Tesla is unacceptably long IMO vs. other car makers. I want them to improve as it will look better for them with customers.

The thing that is really going to bother me today is listening to Tesla's earnings call where they are going to post how much money they made.

Its not like they CAN'T afford repair parts.....

Errr...the amount they made (ie profit) is expected to be nothing this quarter.

They're likely to announce they lost money...for a second straight quarter.

They're hoping that'll change by maybe Q3.

Reactions: outdoors
Errr...the amount they made (ie profit) is expected to be nothing this quarter.

They're likely to announce they lost money...for a second straight quarter.

They're hoping that'll change by maybe Q3.

Pretty sure they will make money this quarter but even if they don't, if they can't afford to make repair parts...they need to get into a different line of work. This goes with the industry.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Not sure why others are disagreeing with me on saying Tesla needs to improve repair parts process here. I'm at 2 months right now. 2 months. Not 2 weeks. Tesla needs to improve this. How can you disagree with this? It can be improved...by a great deal.

Don't worry about that disagree of your post. Probably someone jumping in at the end of a thread without any knowledge of Tesla's repair issues.

You are 100% correct in what you are saying. Keep it going.

Update from Service Call to Tesla.

Everyone.....I'm not making any of this up. I couldn't believe it.

I called the standard Tesla Customer Support line. After explaining my story I was transferred to a Tesla body shop advocate. I didn't even know there was such a group within Tesla.

Anyway - we spoke for about 30 min as I represented more than just myself in the conversation. I represented everyone that was getting their cars repaired at AutoNation in Westmont Il.

After a lot of conversation with the Tesla body shop advocate ( who was extremely kind and compassionate ) I received the following statement from her.

"There has been a tremendous push since February to improve parts availability. Things have gotten tremendously better since February as the average wait for parts has been reduced from 1YEAR TO NOW only 6 MONTHS".

I'm not making that up.

I didn't even know what to say. Tesla is proud of that? 6 month wait time on parts?

OMG.....

I still don't know what to say.

To be fair... I don't think this is an across-the-board issue. Our 3 was sideswiped a few months ago. Parts (rear LH door, rear LH quarter panel, etc.) were supposed to arrive in 2 weeks... and took exactly that long to arrive. Car was fixed and back on the road in 3 weeks.

Wow!!! That's a rarity that moves the numbers towards the positive...for sure.

You should call the Tesla body shop associates and tell them that they are wrong.

That would be fair.

It's been more than a week since I reported my rear glass crack. It's a known issue and covered under warranty, but guess what? They are waiting on the parts to arrive.
No ETA.

I am seriously thinking about just going there and dropping the car at the shop. If I drop the car there and they take more than 30 days to fix the issue, I can lemon law it in NY.

I bet they would start making parts available...

They have parts, they are just putting into new cars that they have to push out to make shareholders happy.

At their current state, shareholders are more important to them then customers.

Reactions: cbrigante2
Pretty sure they will make money this quarter but even if they don't, if they can't afford to make repair parts...they need to get into a different line of work. This goes with the industry.

There's a long list of "goes with the industry" stuff Tesla does not do.... and they simply did not have the cash on hand to do a massive parts and service buildout ahead of the Model 3 mass production launch AND also build enough production cars.

Most new parts produced are going on to new cars since they're selling them faster than they can build them.

On top of that there's a logistics issue.... Tesla doesn't have space to store a ton of spare parts presently. Fremont was already so full they had to use tents to build cars....and they're planning to maybe build the Y there too.

So they're working on fixing THAT with the big parts distribution center I mentioned is being finished up now between the gigafactory and fremont.

And local tesla service centers never stored parts traditionally- so they don't have space to do so now (this is one of the "things they're working to improve" but you can't just magically make 100 buildings physically much larger)

All of the above adds up to... parts availability has sucked- and there wasn't a lot Tesla could've done about it without a bunch more cash they had more important things to spend on at the time.

Does that mean Tesla should probably have done a cap raise a year or more ago to be able to get ahead of this? Probably yeah. They didn't though, and not even Elon has a time machine.

Not realizing "the next huge bottleneck" is a recurring theme for Tesla.

"Hey let's build 4 times more cars than ever...."

Huh...apparently we should've planned to be able to TRANSPORT AND DELIVER 4x more cars... WHO KNEW???

"Hey let's put 4 times more cars on the road...."

Huh...apparently we should've planned to be able to REPAIR 4x more cars...WHO KNEW???

Here's a fun next one- they're already out of batteries with which to built significantly more cars than they are today in the US... hence why powerwall installs have ground to a halt and Model 3 production is battery constrained... But they're still planning to launch Model Y next year, expecting to sell even more of those than they do Model 3.... HUH WE NEEDED 50% MORE BATTERIES? WHO KNEW???

Anyway- this is awful for folks who then need their Tesla repaired after an accident, but that's a minority of customers- and it's better than the alternative (sans cap raise 1-2 years ago)- which was Tesla had plenty of spare parts but ran out of cash to run the company because they didn't build and sell enough new cars.

Tesla has been working to improve this- slowly and laughably badly as is normal for logistic and organizational stuff with Tesla.... but as funny as Garlands phone call might seem cutting parts delays in half for a company as over-extended and badly organized on parts as Tesla is actually progress.

The fact they're about to open a massive parts depot, and finally opening more service centers, also shows some actual spending is finally getting someplace.

Would Lexus treat you this way? Nope. But they also don't sell any cars I consider worth buying anymore (and I write that as someone who has owned, and loved, a number of em).

Tesla has been lucky enough to have demand be this high, and remain this high, with 0 advertising, despite the fact they're horrible at parts, service, sales, and delivery.

I think they're hoping these issues will be worked through before the Y (and eventual pickup) hit the market and floodgates REALLY bust open.

"There has been a tremendous push since February to improve parts availability. Things have gotten tremendously better since February as the average wait for parts has been reduced from 1YEAR TO NOW only 6 MONTHS".

I'm not making that up.

I didn't even know what to say. Tesla is proud of that? 6 month wait time on parts?
While that is horrible they cut wait times by 50%!

Now they need to cut it by 50% 4 more times.

Reactions: cbrigante2
It's been more than a week since I reported my rear glass crack. It's a known issue and covered under warranty, but guess what? They are waiting on the parts to arrive.
No ETA.

I am seriously thinking about just going there and dropping the car at the shop. If I drop the car there and they take more than 30 days to fix the issue, I can lemon law it in NY.

I bet they would start making parts available...

They have parts, they are just putting into new cars that they have to push out to make shareholders happy.

At their current state, shareholders are more important to them then customers.

You can't lemon law a window break. Many have tried.