Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO my situation isn't flying solo as there are a lot of people out there suffering the same fate. This needs publicity, however we all must be careful in that situations like I am in requires careful scrutiny.

I don't want to feed the fudsters because they are just plain wrong as there is too much speculation. I have Facts and there are Facts that need to be extremely visible to Tesla.

A single hand-clap to the effort they made in the recent past.....but they don't deserve anything near applause.

Come on Tesla lets go. Hire some of those laid off people back to help gets parts out to the world!!! PLEASE!!!!

I'm begging you!!!!!!!

IMHO my situation isn't flying solo as there are a lot of people out there suffering the same fate. This needs publicity, however we all must be careful in that situations like I am in requires careful scrutiny.

I don't want to feed the fudsters because they are just plain wrong as there is too much speculation. I have Facts and there are Facts that need to be extremely visible to Tesla.

A single hand-clap to the effort they made in the recent past.....but they don't deserve anything near applause.

Come on Tesla lets go. Hire some of those laid off people back to help gets parts out to the world!!! PLEASE!!!!

I'm begging you!!!!!!!

Tesla had a net loss of 702 million n Q4.

Tesla also had nearly 3 billion less revenue in Q1 than Q4.

There's more to the math but they are not in a position at this second to go on a spending spree :(

Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla had a net loss of 702 million n Q4.

Tesla also had nearly 3 billion less revenue in Q1 than Q4.

There's more to the math but they are not in a position at this second to go on a spending spree :(

Whoaaa…..

Tesla wouldn't be giving the parts away for "free".

They just won't be "production" numbers.

Tesla has self made their production numbers be the measuring stick for their profitability.

Whoaaa…..

Tesla wouldn't be giving the parts away for "free".

They just won't be "production" numbers.

Never implied free at all.

I’m part of team bean counter so I understand that increase in SG&A is good for customers but will shred the bottom line even if Tesla pulls out the top line beat.

Margins on the SR Model 3’s are pretty low if ANY. Probably negative all in when black/black no AP SR.

It’s going to be touch and go until GF3 is online and the Model Y can be sold.

Last edited:
This may be true in some states, but not all: Are you entitled to brand-name car repair parts? Know your rights (many more posts available on this subject, note the "recycled" quote from State Farm in the link).

I personally had an insurance adjuster quote me a "recycled" body panel on a truck many years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I want new parts too. I'm just saying insurance companies don't have to provide that in some cases given state laws and/or the part in question.

Used parts?

Insurance Companies don't fix cars using used parts.

Unfortunately used parts won't be an option. I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: Bill Foster
There were a lot of discussions on this mid-late last year when it was obvious Tesla didn't have enough locations to handle just DELIVERY of cars in a timely and organized fashion, let alone repairing them.

I and many others predicted that after they worked through Delivery Hell (which is STILL not entirely fixed, see last Q and Europe for example) it'd be time for Service Hell.

The October 17, 2018 he tweeted

Oops! Our 50 billion dollar company just noticed months into our massive product rollout we forgot to build nearly enough service centers!

Mind you- 3 months after that tweet Tesla had opened...0 new US service centers.

Elon Musk said Tesla would fill its North American service gaps in three to six months. Three months later, not a single US service center has opened.

Still- Musk continues to insist they're "focused" on fixing service-

Tesla & Elon Musk's #1 Priority For 1st Quarter Is Improving Service | CleanTechnica

saying fixing service was the #1 priority for Q1 2019.

Physical locations are expensive though. (see their initial try at just closing down all the stores)

While I agree 100% with all of this, I will say that they finally started opening new service centers in Q2 2019. So they are working on it -- Musk's timelines were just wrong again.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
While I agree 100% with all of this, I will say that they finally started opening new service centers in Q2 2019. So they are working on it -- Musk's timelines were just wrong again.

Service Centers don't repair body work or do anything after an accident happens.

Tesla only has about 12 Body Shops on the planet that actually attempt to do body work and such.
Body Shop Support

San Jose, California
  • Pomona, California
  • Elk Grove Village – Chicago, Illinois
  • Bellevue, Washington*
  • Dallas, Texas*
  • Eatonville, Florida*
  • Houston, Texas*
  • Las Vegas, Nevada*
  • Marietta, Georgia*
  • Owings Mills, Maryland*
  • Long Island City – Queens, New York*

With so many people getting rear ended in this thread I'm going to be so paranoid when I'm driving my model 3 :(

I wonder if there could be a feature where if you're stopped at a red and you see someone fast approaching behind you your brake lights could flash rapidly? Or the rear cameras could calculate approaching velocity and flash automatically? To just try to alert the car behind you.

Probably not feasible tbh because everyone would hate pulling up behind a Tesla. So sad that it's not preventable.
Not legal in the states

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Service Centers don't repair body work or do anything after an accident happens.

Tesla only has about 12 Body Shops on the planet that actually attempt to do body work and such.
Body Shop Support

San Jose, California
  • Pomona, California
  • Bellevue, Washington*
  • Dallas, Texas*
  • Eatonville, Florida*
  • Houston, Texas*
  • Las Vegas, Nevada*
  • Marietta, Georgia*
You left off a very important line...

*Specializing only in minor repairs and light collision damage.

Body Shop Support

San Jose, California
  • Pomona, California
  • Bellevue, Washington*
  • Dallas, Texas*
  • Eatonville, Florida*
  • Houston, Texas*
  • Las Vegas, Nevada*
  • Marietta, Georgia*

I live 20 miles SE of St Louis, there is a SC about 35 miles from my house, are you telling me that if I buy a Tesla and it get's into an accident I can't get it properly repaired in St Louis? So where would they take a damaged Tesla, 300 miles to Chicago?

I live 20 miles SE of St Louis, there is a SC about 35 miles from my house, are you telling me that if I buy a Tesla and it get's into an accident I can't get it properly repaired in St Louis? So where would they take a damaged Tesla, 300 miles to Chicago?
I think that's a list of Tesla-owned body shops, but there are plenty more independent shops that are authorized by Tesla to do body work.

No, that's not what's being stated. There are body shops in pretty much every major US city that are Tesla approved for doing body repairs and of course the local SC would be able to handle non body repairs to the car if something mechanical or electronic was damaged in an accident.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Amazed that it hit 9 pages in comments already so there must have been alot of good info already shared and discussed. It was almost a year ago that we had our new X front ended in a parking lot and it took a little over two months (felt like forever) to finally get the car back. Back order of parts was the primary culprit which was disheartening but I remember all the promises back then that soon enough the sourcing of parts and repairs would take mere days. Back then, the turnaround time for repairs was what kept me on the edge on whether or not to have more than one Tesla in our garage. I assumed before I read this post that the repair challenges at Tesla were a thing of the past but sorry to hear that that's not the case. I am also saddened to hear that Tesla said there is no front facing customer team to help in regards to parts. Back last year Tesla a dedicated front facing team to at least give a peace of mind that the sourcing of parts was being tracked and that there was oversight. Big bummer if they had to lay all those people off.

Hope your repair goes by smooth and quicker than expected. To help cope - my wife and kids used to joke with me back when we were waiting for our Tesla to come back from the shop - We'd see tons of Teslas all over the road one week and then the next few weeks we would hardly see any...They'd say to me that all the Teslas were in service or in the body shop waiting forever for parts just like ours lol.

I just got rear ended on the passenger corner.... luckily it was not as bad and car is still drive able....insurance adjust said $700 in damages which looks like a bumper scuff.... and body shop said $7k in repairs....due to the aluminum panel near the bumper got a slight bent.... I guess look at this as an experience and if it turns out to be too painful... maybe, just maybe I just might cancel my deposit on the model Y.... and look at a fossil fuel burner because losing a car for a month is detrimental and unacceptable due to I need a car for work....hopefully TESLA will figure this out????..

• Informative
Reactions: BCNY

Look at the link I provided. Its a Tesla link.

You can input your zip code and get a list of authorized body shops in your area.

Body Shop Support

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Runnergirl
Parts availability is an issue with Tesla for sure. Something they need to address if they want to survive and compete with other manufacturers. I think it will get better, but was hoping it would have improved already at this point. It also affects insurance premiums. Good luck getting your car fixed!

Reactions: BCNY
I just got rear ended on the passenger corner.... luckily it was not as bad and car is still drive able....insurance adjust said $700 in damages which looks like a bumper scuff.... and body shop said $7k in repairs....due to the aluminum panel near the bumper got a slight bent.... I guess look at this as an experience and if it turns out to be too painful... maybe, just maybe I just might cancel my deposit on the model Y.... and look at a fossil fuel burner because losing a car for a month is detrimental and unacceptable due to I need a car for work....hopefully TESLA will figure this out????..

I can already hear the underwriters jacking up insurance premium rates on Model 3's...