Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would your kids not now complain about the lack of visibility due to the tinting? :tongue:

Reduced visibility out the affected windows has been my go-to reason for avoiding tint in the past. Is this no longer an issue?

No, I asked them if visibility / light was an issue, and they all said no.

And as the driver, I have not found it to be a problem at all, both during the daylight hours and at night. Note that I only got the rear hatch tinted at 20%, but even that is fine IMO.

I tinted all 4 doors, the rear hatch, and the pano. My kids still complain about the heat and lack of air flow. I've resorted to using a 12V fan clipped onto the seat (between 2nd/3rd row) to draw cool air from the 2nd row into the 3rd. The power cable runs across the 2nd row and to the cigarette lighter in the 1st row. If I have one kid in the back it works fine, as I can clip the fan near the other seat. But with both kids back there, there isn't an ideal place for the fan. It ends up being very close to one of their heads, and it makes noise. I also worry what would happen if we were in an accident. The fan definitely will come lose and/or one of my kids might hit it with their heads.

It really is a design flaw, and I hope Tesla comes out with a fix. Right now it's my chief gripe about an otherwise excellent car.

Last edited:
Sorry for this being OT a bit, but does that mean 20% of light blocked (ie: a mild tint) or 20% of light gets through (ie: a heavy tint)?

The latter. I put 3M Crystalline 50 on my trunk window because its the same either way :). Actually, it's because in MA the maximum rear tint is something like 35 and considering the glass is already tinted, 40 would make it too dark. 3M claims Crystalline 50 cuts 56% of heat - the kids are happier a d visibility is not a problem. Here are a few photos just after it was done. I'm going back to have it put on the sides as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370403377.472802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370403398.305547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370403423.822299.jpg

Not sure if someone has already posted in this thread but I removed the rear-facing seats today in a (failed) attempt to fit 3 camp foot lockers in the back without folding down the second row. Removal was very easy, simply removed two 7/16 bolts that are easily accessible and the whole unit comes right out.
jump.JPG

As an update, for some reason, the bolts do not re-install properly/securely (? inaccessible nut that dropped off when removing?). Will have to bring this up with service next time I'm in.

Last edited:
I just recieved my vehicle today and noticed the jump seats no longer come with leather. They are all cloth now. While its not a huge issue, I was expecting some leather appointments on them.

Can anyone who has received their vehicle in the past month or two comment? I'd just like to know how recent of a change this is.

I just recieved my vehicle today and noticed the jump seats no longer come with leather. They are all cloth now. While its not a huge issue, I was expecting some leather appointments on them.

Can anyone who has received their vehicle in the past month or two comment? I'd just like to know how recent of a change this is.

I assume you have leather seats? Honestly cloth might be better than leather for the kids.

I received my car December 8, 2012. There was not a swatch of leather to be found on it (granted, I had it installed later in the winter). All plastic, metal and cloth. As an aside note, it is now stowed, and will be stowed, until November when the Texas weather allows comfortable use.

I received my car December 8, 2012. There was not a swatch of leather to be found on it (granted, I had it installed later in the winter). All plastic, metal and cloth. As an aside note, it is now stowed, and will be stowed, until November when the Texas weather allows comfortable use.

Sublimaze, are you saying your 3rd row which was installed in Jan/Feb is cloth? My car was delivered from the factory in May with leather 3rd row.

I assume you have leather seats? Honestly cloth might be better than leather for the kids.

Yes, I have a P85 with leather. I'm just surprised as every other Tesla I've seen, not many I admit, have leather in the 3rd row.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you on that. After the sun goes down, it's not bad. Mid day, however, not a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Sublimaze, are you saying your 3rd row which was installed in Jan/Feb is cloth? My car was delivered from the factory in May with leather 3rd row.

Thanks for sharing. If there was a "choice", I would prefer the one with leather.

I had the jump seats installed in June and they were also the black cloth. I have the tan leather interior and was concerned it wouldn't look right. However, I've gotten used to the contrast over the last few weeks.

epy7uder.jpg

Well, there's this pleather-like border giving the seat a recaro feel, but the majority is fabric as shown. It arrived as black, which matched the trunk without a problem, but it had achieved a chocolate hue over the month, with hints of glitter, goldfish and touch of Capri Sun.

Mine delivered with car in May look exactly like the ones in the great video made by @ken830 here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-and-Unfolding-of-the-Rear-Facing-Child-Seats

In that same thread I posted a video of some earlier seats which have a slightly different design (more leather in center and different cup holder, other minor changes). These seem to match photos posted in this thread at the very beginning (Elon's car, etc.). I saw in the EU thread that some people mentioned the latest seats were "all fabric" but haven't seen photos yet.