Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those pictures are actually what I expected. I should have clarified it was leather/pleather trim. Mine do not have any trim on them, just all cloth.

That's interesting since even the Tesla official video (animation) shows the seats with the leather/pleather trim in the Features section for Model S. Did you ask on delivery what happened? Same thing happened to me with missing fog lights that were on my original order.

All-fabric/cloth was first spotted in the Euro-spec cars. Definitely not a nice as the earlier fabric+pleather... It's not just the material, but the upper seat-belt slots look way nicer than the all-fabric ones.

Ed98ibM.jpg

fHnJz0J.jpg

That's interesting since even the Tesla official video (animation) shows the seats with the leather/pleather trim in the Features section for Model S. Did you ask on delivery what happened? Same thing happened to me with missing fog lights that were on my original order.

I spoke with my local service manager and he said it was a recent change. He also said if he was to order new seats, they would just send the same one I already have. I think I might call ownership to see if they can get the other ones. I know its not that big of a deal, but the "old" type look much better then the all cloth ones.

Rear child seats are factory-installed only. You cannot purchase them and have them installed post-delivery. It is unfortunate, because lots of people were told otherwise. They never did give anyone a reason why. If you did purchase them, service centers can disconnect them or put them back in. But they will not 'convert' a car to install them (there are cut outs and clips and stuff). The two most likely reasons is that 1) the hardware is simply not there (2nd row seats are different due to a bar embedded inside of them meant for the clips), and 2) theres possible some safety regulation making this conversion illegal. Who knows. But there is no budging on this one :(

Ownership Experience called me yesterday after I sent an email. Was told that there is no vin cutoff. ALL cars delivered and in production, regardless of vin, cannot order the seats. Very disappointed.

I tried to tell you ... I asked several times and got the same answer each time, so I believe that is their 'final answer'.

I can refute these posts from back in March: I have an appointment to install the jump seats at a service center next week. So it is possible for pre-cutoff VINs to have them installed without having originally ordered them.

I can refute these posts from back in March: I have an appointment to install the jump seats at a service center next week. So it is possible for pre-cutoff VINs to have them installed without having originally ordered them.

Given how confused they've been on this so far, I'll believe it once you post that they've been installed, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Did they happen to say what they believe the cutoff VIN is that you made it under?

I spoke with my local service manager and he said it was a recent change. He also said if he was to order new seats, they would just send the same one I already have. I think I might call ownership to see if they can get the other ones. I know its not that big of a deal, but the "old" type look much better then the all cloth ones.

I agree. The all cloth looks cheap.

Given how confused they've been on this so far, I'll believe it once you post that they've been installed, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Did they happen to say what they believe the cutoff VIN is that you made it under?

I was initially going to wait until they actually did it to post - I'll report back next week. No info on what the VIN cutoff is, sorry.

I was initially going to wait until they actually did it to post - I'll report back next week. No info on what the VIN cutoff is, sorry.

Definitely interested to hear from you after you get these installed! I have a pre-cutoff VIN (at least I think I do based on the earlier posts of the cut-off being in the 5400s). My wife and I were distressed to read the posts that said that Tesla was no longer installed the seats for the pre-cutoff cars. We were specifically told we could install post-delivery and intended to do so.

All-fabric/cloth was first spotted in the Euro-spec cars. Definitely not a nice as the earlier fabric+pleather... It's not just the material, but the upper seat-belt slots look way nicer than the all-fabric ones.

Wow, no kidding. In addition to the pleather/leather (how do you tell the difference?) the old ones have a cool roll bar look integrated with the harnesses. Do you have a reference/thread link for your EU photos?

Just saw this listed on the specs page today: "Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster"

Did it always say "solar absorbing"? This is the new specs page after the latest round of options and price increases that occurred this (Saturday) morning.

June 26 web capture does show the same wording. I'm not sure what "solar absorbing" indicates since the windshield states "UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield." I can verify though that my car has laminated rear hatch and windshield and tempered glass on the sides. Still need to check pano.

June 26 web capture does show the same wording. I'm not sure what "solar absorbing" indicates since the windshield states "UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield." I can verify though that my car has laminated rear hatch and windshield and tempered glass on the sides. Still need to check pano.

The pano roof is also the same "Lamisafe" laminated glass as the front windshield and rear hatch glass. Laminated glass blocks 99%+ of UV. On my car, the front windshield and pano roof both have a slightly visible metallic sheen typical of an IR rejection layer. The rear hatch glass does not.

Considering that the cost on these just went up by $1,000, I would have hoped that Tesla would have re-done the venting to allow for some actual HVAC to get to the jump seats. Hell, just yesterday I had to tell my 5 year old that he couldn't ride back there - Mommy was taking the car out for the very first time by herself to do some shopping and I didn't have the time to teach her the setting tricks to make it tolerable back there. Plus I haven't gotten around to getting the windows tinted yet.

At $1,500 they were already expensive but I was able to justify it to myself with the added functionality and I'm still glad I got them. However, if they'd been $2,500 when I ordered and if I'd known about the ventilation issues, I probably would have not gotten them.

The jump seats have become a very expensive and poorly implemented part of an otherwise incredible vehicle.

The pano roof is also the same "Lamisafe" laminated glass as the front windshield and rear hatch glass. Laminated glass blocks 99%+ of UV. On my car, the front windshield and pano roof both have a slightly visible metallic sheen typical of an IR rejection layer. The rear hatch glass does not.

Thanks, that would make sense and matches my observations. It makes me wonder why Tesla still has the misleading drawing I posted here Model S - Window Tinting - Page 26 which shows a uniform blocking of 98% visible and 81% "heat" extending down to include the rear hatch. That would require an IR coating which I think we all agree is not on the rear hatch glass (but badly needed).

Definitely interested to hear from you after you get these installed! I have a pre-cutoff VIN (at least I think I do based on the earlier posts of the cut-off being in the 5400s). My wife and I were distressed to read the posts that said that Tesla was no longer installed the seats for the pre-cutoff cars. We were specifically told we could install post-delivery and intended to do so.

My car is in the service center now getting the jump seats and I should get it back tomorrow. I asked what the VIN cutoff was and the worker said "6000" - I asked about the 5400 number that was on the forum and he hadn't heard that, he just repeated 6000. He also said that it is technically possible to add the extra crash support for VINs after the cutoff, but that would cost about $6000 extra. On my estimate it says "crossmember installation not required". Will post pics when I get it back.

My car is in the service center now getting the jump seats and I should get it back tomorrow. I asked what the VIN cutoff was and the worker said "6000" - I asked about the 5400 number that was on the forum and he hadn't heard that, he just repeated 6000. He also said that it is technically possible to add the extra crash support for VINs after the cutoff, but that would cost about $6000 extra. On my estimate it says "crossmember installation not required". Will post pics when I get it back.

Just curious, but how much did you pay to have them installed?