Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks yobigd20. Do you think it looks bad in general, or bad on black? We have a blue Model S.

Blueish / Red - is that blue sometimes and red sometimes, or more purplish?

I have a black s. 3m crystalline 40 on sides and back. 70 on front and 90 on pano. Back looks dark purple. Installer told me that it is because of the highend glass. Even if you put pure black on there you would still have that effect to a certain extenet. I dont love it.. but I can deal with it.. I would rather it than no tint. I am all about reducing heat in the hot summer and do like the privacy. Hope that helps!

Any further updates from folks waiting on their rear seats? It would be good to hear from both those still waiting and those that have recently had them installed. Please include how long you waited or how long you've been waiting.
Got my MSP on 12/1/12... still waiting
Heard that (& verified that) Tesla LA service is slammed with, well, service stuff as well as all these retro-installs. :cursing:

Any further updates from folks waiting on their rear seats? It would be good to hear from both those still waiting and those that have recently had them installed. Please include how long you waited or how long you've been waiting.

I'm Sig #69. Approaching 6 months and still haven't heard a word from Tesla about installing the rear seats. I'm starting to get upset about it. My youngest son is growing quickly and if it takes another 6 months to get the seats, he probably won't even fit anymore...or at the very best he'll only fit for a short time. I would still like the seats, but if I don't start hearing anything from Tesla soon I might not have a choice but to ask for a refund.

I realize that due bill items are a pain, and service center where I live isn't officially open (even though they've had someone working out of their for about two months), but 6 months is a long time to be waiting for a due bill item. Plus I paid for my service plan, so whether the service center is officially open or not, Tesla should be taking care of my car. You would also think Tesla would put more effort into servicing Signature owners (yes, I played the Sig card).

I'm Sig #69. Approaching 6 months and still haven't heard a word from Tesla about installing the rear seats. I'm starting to get upset about it. My youngest son is growing quickly and if it takes another 6 months to get the seats, he probably won't even fit anymore...or at the very best he'll only fit for a short time. I would still like the seats, but if I don't start hearing anything from Tesla soon I might not have a choice but to ask for a refund.

I realize that due bill items are a pain, and service center where I live isn't officially open (even though they've had someone working out of their for about two months), but 6 months is a long time to be waiting for a due bill item. Plus I paid for my service plan, so whether the service center is officially open or not, Tesla should be taking care of my car. You would also think Tesla would put more effort into servicing Signature owners (yes, I played the Sig card).

You really should contact Tesla. I mean, I got my car in January and I've had my rear seats for weeks. I think the Atlanta center has installed ~10 of them.

I have a friend who is also a sig and has been waiting 6 months as well. He has called and emailed numerous times. IMHO, Tesla would rather give you the refund.

I'm sig 457, took delivery early Jan, and I had the kids seats retro fit in Dec. You should definitely call and politely but firmly get yourself inserted into the service queue. The kids love the seats though heat rejecting window film is highly recommended for the rear window.

Mirror to view rear jump seats

My littlest loves riding in the back, especially after I got 3M Crystalline 50 film on the trunk window. So much so that I haven't bothered putting her booster seat back in the middle row after I had the car serviced. But I'd like to be able to see her when she's in the back without her big sister. Has anyone found an available mirror that easily mounts somewhere in the back and gives a good view of the jump seat occupants? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What does Mr Musk do about the heat in the rear facing seats in his own car? I don't know of any information to this question in the forum so far. This has been my biggest problem so far, my rural America is far from the tint film installation crowd.

California centric thinking. Likely his kids haven't had a problem because of the weather in SF.

What does Mr Musk do about the heat in the rear facing seats in his own car? I don't know of any information to this question in the forum so far. This has been my biggest problem so far, my rural America is far from the tint film installation crowd.
I had my rear tinted with 3m crystallin 30% and today my kids were still roasting in the back even with AC at full blast and directed to the back. Unfortunately my parents were in the car and the kids couldn't move to the middle row. They were sweating and squinting so badly and begging us to pull over.

I'm very sad at this oversight. We spend addition $ to get these seats and never expected this.

If Elon wanted to make this right I'd suggest either find a way to install air ducts to the rear or issue us a refund for the seats as well as the tint I had to install to make this work. :(

The rear seats are a matter of pride for my kindergartener. She fondly shared her enthusiasm when we ferried her classmates to and from our local civic center to school every day for a week rehearsing for spring musical. She doesn't like at all if she has to sit in the second row. On those hot days she suffers in the rear seat she is truly disheartened that 'her' favorite spot is bothering her, if I preemptively ask her to goto the second row, she looks at the sky and wants to try the rear seats first. We need to make them better for the kids.

I had my rear tinted with 3m crystallin 30% and today my kids were still roasting in the back even with AC at full blast and directed to the back. Unfortunately my parents were in the car and the kids couldn't move to the middle row. They were sweating and squinting so badly and begging us to pull over.

I'm very sad at this oversight. We spend addition $ to get these seats and never expected this.

If Elon wanted to make this right I'd suggest either find a way to install air ducts to the rear or issue us a refund for the seats as well as the tint I had to install to make this work. :(

Heat/sun in AZ is one of the main reasons I decided not to get the seats. But, worst case, perhaps investing in something like these:
Amazon.com: Dreambaby Stroller Fan, White/Blue: Baby (which comes in lots of colors)
or this:
Amazon.com: Deluxe Water Misting Fan (Assorted Colors)(Sold individually): Home Kitchen (suggest without the water)
will help make it bearable? The Crystalline or tint should take care of UV and some of the heat, but fans might help them stay cooler.