Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear lower control arms being cut through due to the chains!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever it was, these photos show that whatever did the grinding did so from different angles.

20181122_113827-X3.jpg

20181122_113200-X3.jpg

With these closeups, the pattern is very clear. I'm sure some forensics expert in this area would be able to tell more.

Reactions: croman
No way it came like that from the factory. You can tell be the oxidation that it's been done fairly recently. Really weird!

My best guess is that the rear wheels are moving forward enough under hard acceleration that it's rubbing on something in front of the lower arms. Is there wear on something in front of the lower arms? Pull off a wheel and it should be easy to inspect.

Even if the wheels moved forward inches there's nothing there that would make that groove let alone at that angle.

Tesla approved chains of course ;)

Let us know the cost of repair please.

Yes, and once brkaus said tire chains, I realized it wasn't just that I used them. There was ONE time that I screwed up and put them on wrong and they got thrown about a 1/4 mile later. I remember that particular instance they were over the that part of the control arm.

I TOTALLY suck.

I'll be buying the Tesla approved ones this week.

The ironic thing is I JUST bought two of those rear wishbone links so that BBC Speed Machine could have new bushings to press into my adjustable upper arms that they just made.

Additionally, this wasn't caught by Tesla at my 50K service in April which was after the last time I used those chains. Not really blaming them, but I was kind of hoping that their long list of checks and inspects for the 50K service included checking suspension components.

I live in Perth, Western Australia where it never snows BUT, I have family in Utah and hired a Chevy Suburban two years ago when visiting for Xmas. Purchased chains in Portland, used them at Mt Ranier and had a foot of snow on Xmas day. It was fantastic. I even bought the set home with me to hang in my shed as a momento of our adventures. Never to be used again. Raised some eyebrows at LAX security as was in carry on because we were over checkin weight limit.

They are not fun to put on but even I understand they have to be done right. It was amazing to see how many trucks threw their chains on the interstate. You don't want to run over a set of those bad boys.

Hope the repair process goes smoothly.

Wow. I'm still in unbelief that chains could cause such a uniform cut - it definitely looks like intentional sabotage.

I won't really know for sure until I get home and pull the chains out and put one of them on and verify it could have reached and that the cable is small enough to fit within the groove.

I realized I'm desperate for an answer so I quickly concluded when the tire chain question was asked that it must have been that. I'm 85% certain that was the cause.

I won't really know for sure until I get home and pull the chains out and put one of them on and verify it could have reached and that the cable is small enough to fit within the groove.

I realized I'm desperate for an answer so I quickly concluded when the tire chain question was asked that it must have been that. I'm 85% certain that was the cause.

I wouldn't put them back on... seriously?!
If it was the chain, you could tell by simply looking at the chain...
No way it didn't also leave a mark on the chain...