Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear spoiler not flexible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the early cars got the active spoiler when it was only for the P models. Then about mid 2016 they started deploying the fixed spoilers on the non P's and as @Krazaak stated they went fixed for all models later.

I wonder if it could be retrofitted. Would be nice to have an active spoiler again. I've gotten several comments on the spoiler, always followed by the 'huh' in dismay :)

Reactions: dogldogl
I find it fascinating that they spent (presumably) a good amount of time and $ to develop an active spoiler only to switch to a boring fixed one so quickly. I really love the clean line of the x with the active/folded spoiler and, for some reason, I can't take my eyes off of the fixed one whenever I see an X...looks like a duck beak to me.

/first world problem

Reactions: dogldogl and Cowby
I find it fascinating that they spent (presumably) a good amount of time and $ to develop an active spoiler only to switch to a boring fixed one so quickly. I really love the clean line of the x with the active/folded spoiler and, for some reason, I can't take my eyes off of the fixed one whenever I see an X...looks like a duck beak to me.

/first world problem
That’s a Tesla problem. They always spend a good amount of work to make something new just to discontinue it later because they prove to be problematic. Don’t forget they designed all these stuff in California.

My active spoiler became loose and I thought I'd take it in to have it tightened. I thought it would be a "while-you-wait" type of repair. They had my vehicle for a month and had to send it out to a body shop for some of the work.

Turns out that the Active Spoiler is really cool, but a pain to maintain. They have to remove the whole rear hatch glass and destructively split the spoiler in half in order to unplug the electronics, so they can remove it from the hatch. Not a great design for repairability.

As much as I love my active spoiler (and it was one of the main reasons I got a Performance model), I totally think Tesla did the right thing by getting rid of it. I hope they one day redesign it to be more maintainable and bring it back.

On my Wife's X VIn about 2000, we took delivery March of '16, she got an active spoiler on her 90D. The car was a very early delivery I think maybe because we got every option except for performance.
Initially we had weird problems with it where it would position itself in the opposite location per the design. We took it in a couple times and they claimed to calibrate it, but ultimately a software update resolved it.
TLDR: Active spoiler is cool, but it can cause headaches.