Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk Without Power Liftgate - Big Mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks so much for all of the input and advice. Very helpful. When we got to the shop to pick up our car tonight, I forgot all about the lift gate because the car looked freaking amazing. It seemed so real after weeks of waiting. The store was aware of my concerns about the lift gate and had my wife open and close the lift gate manually, which she did with relative ease because, as was pointed out above, there is a handle she can reach to pull it down while flat on her feet and without straining. When I told her of my concern about her ability to reach up and close the trunk with the required force, she punched me in the stomach to let me know not to question her strength. Point taken.

I don't doubt that there are advantages to having the power liftgate - many were pointed out in the above comments - but based on the vast wisdom acquired during my first four hours of Tesla ownership, I don't think this will be much of a problem moving forward. An occasional annoyance, but nothing to stop us from enjoying our entry into the Tesla ecosystem.

In the meanwhile, below is a picture of the newest member of our family sleeping like a baby on her first night home.
IMG_0194.JPG
So worth it!

Last edited:
I remember when the first Tesla Model S in 2013 had power lift gate was standard.
Friend got 2015 with manual liftgate ... They recommend if you can afford it to get the power liftgate it just makes everything easier.

Mine's a 2013 (delivered June) and the power lift gate was part of the $3750 Tech package back then; I had a service loaner with a VIN within a couple thousand of mine shortly after delivery that didn't have the tech package and a manual trunk. As far as I know, it's always been an upgrade in one package or another on Production editions.

What I don't understand is why anybody spending a hundred grand on a car would cheapen up on a few items.

Because while your car might have been $100k. When I "cheapened" on the premium package (preferred no power anyway) and "cheapened' on the not even available FSD, and "cheapened" on the air suspension, and "cheapened" on the battery pack; I got a car for basically half the price - and one that I'd actually be able to afford.

For us, the final push to go with a Tesla was the realization that our ownership costs over a 5-10 year period would be cheaper than either a Hyundai Genesis AWD ($41,450 MSRP) or the entry level Jaguar XE 20d AWD ($49,470 MSRP)

My car is configured to be equivalently equipped. I still have leather, heated everything, an all glass roof; and while we opted for RFS, someone can spend that money towards another package to be even better equipped. Both of the Hyundai and Jaguar still requires another $10-15/mo to get internet connectivity/app control as well. So my Tesla is roughly equivalent to a $40-50k car (thanks tax incentives!) both in terms of total cost of ownership and equipment.

I do have to say, makes me kind of smile when everyone looks at the car and thinks it's worth $100k though :)

When I told her of my concern about her ability to reach up and close the trunk with the required force, she punched me in the stomach to let me know not to question her strength. Point taken.

..OK, the way out of this is for you to say

"I was concerned the spring holding force was more than your svelte body weight and you'd end up doing a one-handed pullup, each time you tried to close the hatch."

it would at least make her look up the word svelte, if that's uncommon to her ears..

Pretty sure you'd have scored with that one!

• Funny
Reactions: JRMW
What I don't understand is why anybody spending a hundred grand on a car would cheapen up on a few items.
Doesn't make sense unless you pay cash.
On monthly payments, the difference will be negligible so why not go all out and get it loaded?
It also helps in resale later as people will want it loaded.
Just my cheap 2 cents worth! Lol!

I agree in that I generally like to get my cars "fully loaded" but I have found that it has never helped me on the trade-in or re-sale value.

Ditto that. I think "missing" one or two even major options will have little effect on resale value. Perhaps the first depreciation dollars hitting the car are funded by options, before erosion of base value of the car occurs. So they end up being "sacrificial".

Conversations like "OMG this car does not have ultrahigh fidelity stereo option... it just won't do!" won't happen with an interested buyer standing in front of the car for sale. .. same goes for power lift gate.

How much do you want/need the option for your use of the car is what matters most. Enjoy!

We also love to be "fully loaded" But also noticed that more options the more things you have to replace! When they break.

Fixing the option is one approach... but to me, repairing an option can be somewhat optional too.

I have a bit of a formula that I would apply before blindly fixing an option, that would weigh in my love for the feature along with the likelihood of recovering newly spent money on future sale of the car. We know options don't hold value well.... so for example if the pano roof fails to open at year 6 and needed a new expensive track and motor gizmo to repair... I would probably proclaim my car as having a "fixed glass" roof and just leave it shut.

I might also start looking for parts off a wrecker ... and consider doing the job myself.

Reactions: Yinn and P85DBeast
Had our car for almost a month since my original post. I can report that it has been a complete non-issue from a functional standpoint. The handles make opening/closing trunk a breeze even for my 5-foot wife. Not saying a power liftgate would not be a nice bell and whistle, but, for us, it would not have been worth purchasing the PUP just for that (and we really did not place a lot of value on the remaining features of that package). I also know that this is a personal choice; for anyone on the fence as to whether they may need the power liftgate (as opposing to wanting it as a nice extra), I would highly recommend testing out manual opening/closing of liftgate when you test drive the car; would have resolved all of my anxiety quickly had I done so instead of thinking about it a few days before delivery. Car has otherwise exceeded my expectations...