TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rear windshield wiper

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pietro, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pietro

Pietro Member

Hi all!

I have always had car with rear windshield wiper, ad I'm just wondering: is it's absence a problem?

Today was raining heavily and I tried to do not use the rear wiper; after a few minutes I had to activate it because the visibility was so bad...

What do you think?

2. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

No, the only reason I have seen for a rear windshield wiper is when the aerodynamics of the car don't pull the water down and back. That shouldn't be an issue at all in the Model 3.

3. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

It can be annoying at times, my current car does not have a rear wiper, and it can at times mean you can't see that clearly out the rear window, particulary when roads are wet but it's not actually raining, and the fine mist settles but doesn't form large enough drops to roll down the window. Using a Rain-X or similar on regular basis helps a lot. Also if you park under trees etc and leaves fall on the wet glass and stick.
    I carry a LILLNAGGEN Shower squeegee - IKEA in the boot and if i've had to park outside overnight i give the side and rear windows a quick wipe while the cars idles before leaving if needed.

• Like x 1
  4. N5329K

N5329K Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. kengchang

kengchang Member

Sedan rarely has rear windshield wiper, get Rain-X and apply it when you wash your car. It works great.

6. codex57

codex57 Member

Just drive faster! Autostrada speeds in the streets!

7. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Rain X works great

8. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

My current car has great aerodynamics, but the rear windshield still doesn't clear without the wiper. More concerning is the idea of 'wintery mix'.

Thank you kindly.

9. Runt8

Runt8 Member

My current and previous vehicles were both small sedans without a rear wiper, and I’ve never had a problem with it. SUVs and other vehicles with more vertical rear windows definitely require one.

10. T34ME

T34ME Member

I prefer AQUAPEL. I think it works better than Rain-X. YMMV

11. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Member

On my Nissan 240SX hatchback (aka 180SX, etc) with a long relatively flat rear window, a rear wiper is a must. My original 240SX didn't have the rear wiper and I swapped out the entire hatch and did a lot of wiring work to add it. (Depending on year and trim level it was optional or standard).

On my Mazda 3 sedan (there is also a hatchback model), there is no rear wiper and it is perfectly fine. It's rear window is much more vertical than the 240SX.

The Tesla Model 3 will probably be fine without it.

12. kengchang

kengchang Member

IIRC, Aquapel works better than Rain X but Rain X last longer.

13. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

I don't feel I have a need for it on my S, however it would be nice to be able to clear the reverse camera.
    I hope the 3 has a better design for this than the S.

14. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

In my Chevy Cruze (no rear wiper) the rear window practically doesn't get a drop on it if you're going over 45mph. It's only needed when stopped.

15. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

So we need to get out of the car, into the rain and snow, every 5 minutes and clean off the rear window, when in stop & go traffic? That will get old in a hurry.

Thank you kindly.

16. T34ME

T34ME Member

OR you can use the rear view camera and if you have EAP, check the graphic on the U.I. I removed the rear wiper on my Gen 3 Prius to improve looks and a bit of aerodynamics. No issues.

Thank you wisely

17. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I agree with the rear camera, it is much more prone to getting water on it than my other car's.
    As for rain on the rear window. Rain X helps and turning on the rear window heater helps as well, although it takes a couple of minutes to warm up.