Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windshield wiper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I have always had car with rear windshield wiper, ad I'm just wondering: is it's absence a problem?

Today was raining heavily and I tried to do not use the rear wiper; after a few minutes I had to activate it because the visibility was so bad...

What do you think?

It can be annoying at times, my current car does not have a rear wiper, and it can at times mean you can't see that clearly out the rear window, particulary when roads are wet but it's not actually raining, and the fine mist settles but doesn't form large enough drops to roll down the window. Using a Rain-X or similar on regular basis helps a lot. Also if you park under trees etc and leaves fall on the wet glass and stick.
I carry a LILLNAGGEN Shower squeegee - IKEA in the boot and if i've had to park outside overnight i give the side and rear windows a quick wipe while the cars idles before leaving if needed.

Reactions: Cyclone
On my Nissan 240SX hatchback (aka 180SX, etc) with a long relatively flat rear window, a rear wiper is a must. My original 240SX didn't have the rear wiper and I swapped out the entire hatch and did a lot of wiring work to add it. (Depending on year and trim level it was optional or standard).

On my Mazda 3 sedan (there is also a hatchback model), there is no rear wiper and it is perfectly fine. It's rear window is much more vertical than the 240SX.

The Tesla Model 3 will probably be fine without it.

In my Chevy Cruze (no rear wiper) the rear window practically doesn't get a drop on it if you're going over 45mph. It's only needed when stopped.

So we need to get out of the car, into the rain and snow, every 5 minutes and clean off the rear window, when in stop & go traffic? That will get old in a hurry.

Thank you kindly.

So we need to get out of the car, into the rain and snow, every 5 minutes and clean off the rear window, when in stop & go traffic? That will get old in a hurry.

Thank you kindly.
OR you can use the rear view camera and if you have EAP, check the graphic on the U.I. I removed the rear wiper on my Gen 3 Prius to improve looks and a bit of aerodynamics. No issues.

Thank you wisely