Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation on tires for model 3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on your priorities. Typical recommendations around here:
  • Range and economy: OEM tire or Pirelli PZero ELECT.
  • All-season tire with better winter performance and better non-winter performance (but loss of about 10% of range): Michelin CrossClimate2
  • Emphasis on non-winter performance (but at a cost of range): various higher performance all-season or summer tires (with extra wheels with winter tires for the winter if the latter)

I just had CC2s put on my LR 3 Monday and drove to work in the snow in them today. They are very good in snow for an all season but not ultimately as grippy as the X-ice tires I had on my Bolt. Not having to deal with 2 sets of wheels/tires is worth the tradeoff to me but I certainly wouldn't fault anyone that does decide to run two sets. You can have better snow performance in the winter *and* better overall performance in the summer as neither tire has to do the job of the other.

For another option we have Vredestein Quatracs on our model Y and they are still solid in all conditions after 35k Miles.

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Another vote for the Crossclimate 2 as well for your weather climate for all year round all season tires.

If you want better grip for both winter/non-winter weather, then you may want to consider dedicated summer and winter tires, but CC2 should be good enough for most cases.

What is most important?
Snow traction? Michelin cross climate2 seems best all weather option if you don't want dedicated snow tires (which is technically the ideal winter option and swapping out for summer tires after snow season)
High performance with some snow performance ? Michelin ps4 Al season which is what I chose
Look at tire rack or tyre reviews as both have prettier good reviews

I've gotten 35k miles on a set of General Altimax RT43's and they're good for probably another 10k or so. I'll be going with them again. I think the RT45 is their updated model of this tire if the 43 isn't available.

High Treadwear of 700 was the main thing that made me choose them, but they've been great in all aspects since.

I had the same problem with the OEM MXM4 on my 2020 LR: no tread left after 22K.
I called Michelin (actually went to dealer first, but they punted) and told them the problem. They said they would give me credit, about 50%.
Bought Michelin CrossClimate 2's, instaled by dealer. Michelin gave me $500 back. Not bad...

The CC2 are definitely less efficient than the MXM4's (about 10% less miles/WH), but I think they will be much better in the snow here in Upstate NY.

BTW, in calling Michelin, I found to get around the loop-d-loop, I had to pretend I was a dealer. Then I could actually talk to someone. I did have to have the dealer take the tread measurements and report back to Michelin (I initiated a 3-way call). So it isn't hassle-free, but it wasn't too, too bad....

• Informative
Reactions: GaryC
All season tires always make me think of the old saying about V6. When they designed the V6, the wanted to combine the fuel economy of a 4 cylinder with the power of a v8. They got ended up with neither.

All season tires can be driven in all seasons. Yes. However, they are poor in the snow and not great in the summer either. If you look at stopping distance tests on ice, all season tires typically perforce much closer to dedicated summer tires than dedicated winter tires. While real want crack at low temps like summer tires can, they really don't grip all that much better. Dedicated winter tires will have a drastic impact on snow though. Also, in the summer, a good summer tire is also going to stop after than an all season tire, though not as big a gap as the as winter tires are in the snow. I think AS tire best serve someone who sees cold temperatures part of the year, but not much snow. You can drive them year round and you don't need to change anything out.

Personally, I always do dedicated winter and summer tires and wheels and swap between as needed. In the end, it does not cost me much more. If you buy one set of tires and replace them at 30K miles, then buy a second set, you are no better off than just buying dedicated winter and summer tires to begin with and having them last more then twice as long. You might get 35K out of each set if driving them in the right conditions all the time. So then you just have the cost of wheels or the cost to change tires. I buy wheels and then sell them when I sell the car recouping most of my cost. Plus, I always have tires that work for the conditions. There have been a couple times I have had to do a panic stop and ended up within a few feat of another car. The wrong tires and I would have been in a crash instead of a close call.

I like Michelin PS4S in the summer and Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter.

Reactions: TimTam and 804son