Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ben and I are now at the Wilmington, De Superchargers and Jack from Boston should be here soon. Kudos to Ben for driving all night from Boston to join us!! Jack is from Beantown as well! Just talked to Aaron and he says there are 20-25 S owners in Rockville to see everyone off. This is gonna be epic!
And to our friends in Norway, this is just nydelig! Next year I want to see a caravan of S owners driving from Oslo to Tromso!

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Tracking the cars -- I make mapping/data manipulation software for a living (FME Data Conversion - Convert GIS, CAD, Database, XML, Raster Data and more... | Safe Software). We put together something yesterday as a prototype that polls a Tesla Model S's status and updates a Google Fusion Table with it. My wife went out just now and I've started the tracker on her and shared the resulting live map here -- so if someone on the #teslaroadtrip wanted to get in touch with my via private message I could hook this up for them as well. The authentication is the not-so-nice part right now -- because you need to enter in your full Tesla credentials into our software on a webform, but once done the results are fun and public (not the credentials!) anyway thanks to Google's infrastructure.

And yes, thank you so much to the volunteers doing the trip -- we're rooting for you!

RE: Tracking the cars -- I make mapping/data manipulation software for a living (FME Data Conversion - Convert GIS, CAD, Database, XML, Raster Data and more... | Safe Software). We put together something yesterday as a prototype that polls a Tesla Model S's status and updates a Google Fusion Table with it. My wife went out just now and I've started the tracker on her and shared the resulting live map here -- so if someone on the #teslaroadtrip wanted to get in touch with my via private message I could hook this up for them as well. The authentication is the not-so-nice part right now -- because you need to enter in your full Tesla credentials into our software on a webform, but once done the results are fun and public (not the credentials!) anyway thanks to Google's infrastructure.

And yes, thank you so much to the volunteers doing the trip -- we're rooting for you!

Great software - I have tweeted this link to them.

Just arrived Wilmington - met up with Ben and John.

I initially though Elon's response was a bit over the top - no more. This experience is magnificent. To have a problem with this car requires sub-neanderthal IQ.

We did not range charge in Milford - only to 237 rated. We went about 15 miles off the NJTP to the hotel. We depleted about 40 overnight, and recovered exactly that at Rutgers. So net neutral.

We started from Rutgers with 107 and 98 miles from Wilmington. We started conservatively, set cruise to 62 - ate my arm off to the ear staying under the speed limit and letting BMW's pass by. We started getting down to the low 3's and watched expected range increase. About a third of the way went back to normal driving mode - 75-80. Still got about 330, which what we got on the 1st leg, pretty much normal driving (apparently, the car only dislikes northern NJ - around Giants stadium - which is perfectly OK for a Patriots fan - area to avoid). I told my wife we'd arrive with 5 miles - and did exactly that, on time - with absolutely no worries. All instrumentation was accurate and I felt comfortable pushing the limites (which is part of why we're doing this). At no time did the car complain.

Telsa engineering deserves a nobel prize - the car truly lives up to its name. Can't wait for the convoy to NYC.

- - - Updated - - -

Have 156 miles at just about 1/2 hour - my model S is charging faster than my S3!!!

We'll be finalizing our agenda shortly, when the DC crew arrives in Wilmington. I expect we will drive thought Time Square today - to Milford, and some with continue to Groton CT. We seem to be picking up support on the way.

Interestingly, there is a VW-owned Signature with Michigan plates charging up with us here in Wilmington - guess they are trying to figure out how to catch up with us.

Where are you guys finishing tomorrow? Outside the NYT offices?

Thanks to GeorgeB for posting. Have to imagine it's a great feeling of support for the owners making this effort.

(not to mention, I suspect George has more capacity to reach out to media for coverage than the average bear).

I'm sure we'll have a similar event in Norway next winter, in the middle of the permanent Arctic midnight, y'know. For instance through the mountains from Oslo to Bergen and back, 500 km each way. We just need some cars. And a few superchargers. (Hint, hint. :smile:)

Well, I'm planning to do some long distance driving next summer (2014) at least. From the south-east of Norway to the North Cape and back is the plan. Should total around 3000 miles I think ;)

Just made this sign... I think these should be posted at every charging station to warn of the potential outcome! :)

I also tweeted it here: https://twitter.com/alexanderhales

Great job guys! Keep it going, and Thank You Aaron for pushing this forward and to everyone else who has contributed thus far!

No-Brodering.jpg

Last edited: