Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light detection, stop sign detection, stopping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There hasn't been a single case of red light detection working with 2019.8.3

I was hoping verygreen would have some insights on why, but this thread just makes it more mysterious. As it obviously the underlining code works to some degree. So why is the warning not even working for those of us with unhacked cars.

What I find funny is MP3Mike disagreed with that because it was technically incorrect.

But, at the time that I wrote it I wasn't aware of any. I just happened to miss a video or two posted on Reddit early in the day that were the first successes.

Yet, MP3Mike missed marking my post disagree by longer than I missed those videos.

If he's going to take SO LONG to disagree then what's the point when it's not relevant time wise?

I have, what I think is, a related question. 19.8.3 installed yesterday morning here. I see, what I believe is a first, at some intersections a mixture of red, dark orange, light orange lines overlaying the road. Sometimes the red is on the road being travelled sometimes on the intersecting road. I haven't definitively mapped it to a red light but I think it would make sense. What three colors, why color the segment of the traveled road after an intersection and sections of the intersecting road? Has anyone seen this, and better, understand what it's telling the driver?

I thoughts several people reported this release was buggy, so maybe that's why they put on hold for the release. I haven't got mine yet.

TeslaFI.COM is s pretty good indicate for 51% of 3s and 25% X/Ss.

MECEaCc.jpg

6J1J8ne.jpg

I have, what I think is, a related question. 19.8.3 installed yesterday morning here. I see, what I believe is a first, at some intersections a mixture of red, dark orange, light orange lines overlaying the road. Sometimes the red is on the road being travelled sometimes on the intersecting road. I haven't definitively mapped it to a red light but I think it would make sense. What three colors, why color the segment of the traveled road after an intersection and sections of the intersecting road? Has anyone seen this, and better, understand what it's telling the driver?

That sounds like it is traffic visualizations. (They just don't put green for no/light traffic.)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Is there a place where green light is in the top of the traffic light? Wouldn't it be enough to observe the sequence of brightness going in a direction (relative to the classified object). from left to right, or top to bottom etc.
Or is it more robust with the color approach?

Is there a place where green light is in the top of the traffic light? Wouldn't it be enough to observe the sequence of brightness going in a direction (relative to the classified object). from left to right, or top to bottom etc.
Or is it more robust with the color approach?

You need to know what type of light it is to determine what to do, color alone doesn't do much for you.

So, great leap with 19.8.3!

I did not think they'd be this careless, but Tesla brought early gifts!

As of 19.8.3 the car can now detect and stop for red lights and stop signs (no video of that yet).

I have proof!

Times of interest: 6:26 - it cannot tell the light color so slows down in case it's red so it can gently stop.
at 4:05 it starts to be not sure what color it is (granted, the lighting is tricky with the sun behind us washing stuff out)
at 5:12 it nearly runs a red light and I need to intervene.

And here's the stop sign

View attachment 391026
VeryGreen, always nice to see your informative postings and comments. Nice video. Ah, I sure recognize a lot of that area.
As for the 5:15 time of almost running the red light, it appears that it might have eventually stopped, yet maybe WELL OVER that white line. In a couple other parts of the video, the car doesn't seem to stop far enough behind that line. I guess I notice it because when I first took my driver's license about 5,000 years ago :rolleyes: back in Tennesseee, the only thing they dinged me on was not stopping 5 feet behind the line. It appears other drivers ignore that line. Especially that car on the right at the 5:15 mark.

Maybe it is just the camera perspective that is fooling me, but it appears to be stopping too close to the car in front? I usually like to keep about a 1/2 car length distance and that is what my MX is now doing.

Again, thanks for the video.

I think a number of people are walking into these safety assist features with a poor perspective. The roads are not video games. For example, if the light is out and you continue through an intersection, you could be endangering yourself. The technology is technically correct, but dead is dead, right or wrong. The driver is primary, the technology is secondary. I ride motorcycles, sometimes in small or large groups. It is common to become complacent, and just do what the guy in front of you does. In once I was on a Ducati sportbike, being followed through a winding mountain road, followed by a big cruiser. 50% more weight, more shallow steering head angle, and a less upright riding position. That went promptly off a curve. A better bike for certain situations, just not this one. So we have a saying 'ride your own ride", be responsible for yourself, trust noone. In the end it's you that dies, not the programmer.

I think a number of people are walking into these safety assist features with a poor perspective. The roads are not video games. For example, if the light is out and you continue through an intersection, you could be endangering yourself. The technology is technically correct, but dead is dead, right or wrong. The driver is primary, the technology is secondary. I ride motorcycles, sometimes in small or large groups. It is common to become complacent, and just do what the guy in front of you does. In once I was on a Ducati sportbike, being followed through a winding mountain road, followed by a big cruiser. 50% more weight, more shallow steering head angle, and a less upright riding position. That went promptly off a curve. A better bike for certain situations, just not this one. So we have a saying 'ride your own ride", be responsible for yourself, trust noone. In the end it's you that dies, not the programmer.
let the technology be your backup, it may see a red light you didn't, but keep your eyes open anyway, and don't sleep in the back seat.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yup, this whole stoplight thing is interesting given it's a pretty large challenge. I'm going to guess Tesla will do a very incremental approach and definitely US only for almost a year. Sorry EU/APAC <3

The updated FSD description says end of the year on the Norwegian site to so it should be incremental here as well pretty soon...