Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reddit story on FWD opening on highway at 65mph.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know anyone who posts here and thinks Tesla cars are perfect. Quite the opposite. Love for the car does not mean blindness to any problems.

I have been here long enough to have experienced multiple folks posting BS here and and sites like SeekingAlpha, with the apparent motivation of pushing the price of the stock down. I have also read of people who absolutely did dumb things, and are insisting Tesla should have prevented their stupidity. I have also seen people post legitimate problems which Tesla subsequently investigated and then fixed.

I have no knowledge what happened here, nor am I making any guesses or condemnation. I am interested in seeing the result of any investigation and that ultimately a failsafe be present that absolutely prevents the FWD from opening while the car is in motion.

I don't know anyone who posts here and thinks Tesla cars are perfect. Quite the opposite. Love for the car does not mean blindness to any problems.

I have been here long enough to have experienced multiple folks posting BS here and and sites like SeekingAlpha, with the apparent motivation of pushing the price of the stock down. I have also read of people who absolutely did dumb things, and are insisting Tesla should have prevented their stupidity. I have also seen people post legitimate problems which Tesla subsequently investigated and then fixed.

I have no knowledge what happened here, nor am I making any guesses or condemnation. I am interested in seeing the result of any investigation and that ultimately a failsafe be present that absolutely prevents the FWD from opening while the car is in motion.

Voice of reason? Out of here with that balanced mindset. ;)

Desperate TSLA shorts go on the raid every day so I tend to be pretty sensitive to such actions. Especially the sensationalist ones. They tried hard to push a parking recall for many days as if it was worth anything at all. Next was the factory conditions. Next is Elon deciding to wear underwear. It's relentless.

Reactions: CSFTN
I appreciate the complainant's experience and understand her claim for a refund. But, this was not a random door opening incident. The door was clearly compromised in the parking lot and acknowledged by the OP. But, they chose to drive based on previous failures and instructions by call center. At a minimum, I would have treated the situation as a compromised door and took the necessary precautions regardless what I was told. I certainly wouldn't have put my 6 yr old next to the compromised door.

Reactions: madodel
I appreciate the complainant's experience and understand her claim for a refund. But, this was not a random door opening incident. The door was clearly compromised in the parking lot and acknowledged by the OP. But, they chose to drive based on previous failures and instructions by call center. At a minimum, I would have treated the situation as a compromised door and took the necessary precautions regardless what I was told. I certainly wouldn't have put my 6 yr old next to the compromised door.

I re-read her post and you know what I believe her. Everything she says is pretty consistent with my experience so far, just not to her degree (or not yet anyway). The improperly completed paperwork, the SA who stopped communicating after finding her issues too annoying, multiple visits to service centers for various issues- wind noise, sensor issues, FWD issues, etc. I believe all of that.

I walked into a Tesla store in LA on 12/23/16 with intention of purchasing a Model X. I was greeted by a nice OA, we test drove a few inventory vehicles and I decided to purchase an out of town inventory MX with a discount. I was told I would have the car in 2 weeks, max 3. Oh and I was told if I wanted this timely delivery, I had to pay on the spot. Being Tesla naive, I wrote a check for the whole amount (not a deposit). In retrospect, I should have done more research on this, but OA should have notified me that just a deposit was an option. I am going to spare you details on what happened next, but my MX was delivered 3 months later. There were OAs and SAs who stopped communicating with me (like in the story in question), multiple conversations/emails with store managers, emails to Mr. Shrivats, tweets to Elon, etc. Since I finally picked up my car in early March, it has been to SC 4 times, once for 2 weeks. There is a long list of things that were replaced. I am still waiting on a seat that takes 4-6 weeks to be delivered.

I try this not to get to me. Last time when I dropped off my car at the SC, the SA asked me if got all the stuff I need out of my car. I said not to worry, I now have a '"Tesla service drop off bag". We both laughed.

In any case, car is amazing, puts a smile on my face every day. But quality and customer service are severely lacking. At least IMHO.

It really irritates me when owners who post stories like this get immediately attacked and their concerned dismissed by die hard tesla fans. No matter what caused this, we have to remember we are dealing with a computer on wheels here for which we are all beta testers.

Case in point, few months ago one of the FWD started to close unexpectedly and shortly after existing the car my wife (holding my one year old daughter) got hit on the neck by the door edge before it finally stopped and bounced back. And no, I did not accidentally press the top button on the remote, I am 100% sure of that. I posted my story on Tesla Facebook page and got viciously attacked by Tesla fanboys as a lier, cry baby, etc.

Point is, give the owner benefit of a doubt please.

I've had my Tesla for about a year(with no problems btw) and my experience with service(called 800 number a couple times with questions then most recently annual service) has been stellar/over the top awesome...so when I see "problem threads" I automatically go into cynical mode. Based on my real experience I absolutely, positively don't believe that an issue with my car would go unresolved. I mean, when I had my annual service I was texted every hour, given a dedicated service guy to contact, received periodic updates via phone etc. and this was a non issue, leave the car for a day annual service(change wiper blades etc.)!

I've had my Tesla for about a year(with no problems btw) and my experience with service(called 800 number a couple times with questions then most recently annual service) has been stellar/over the top awesome...so when I see "problem threads" I automatically go into cynical mode. Based on my real experience I absolutely, positively don't believe that an issue with my car would go unresolved. I mean, when I had my annual service I was texted every hour, given a dedicated service guy to contact, received periodic updates via phone etc. and this was a non issue, leave the car for a day annual service(change wiper blades etc.)!
Glad to hear about your great service! I wonder if some of the service issues arise from the 'concentration' of Teslas, like the Supercharger 'problems' that arise in California and the like, because there are hundreds of the cars there. I assume there aren't many Teslas on Cape Cod. :D Places like Southern California have Superchargers where you have (literally, they wish, I bet) make an appointment and Service Centers where they have to wait weeks for appointments.

I suspect this is one of the problems, unfortunately, and it may be fixed with the new SC's and more Rangers. But when you are slammed with too much work, things do get dropped in the cracks, important or not.

Glad to hear about your great service! I wonder if some of the service issues arise from the 'concentration' of Teslas, like the Supercharger 'problems' that arise in California and the like, because there are hundreds of the cars there. I assume there aren't many Teslas on Cape Cod. :D Places like Southern California have Superchargers where you have (literally, they wish, I bet) make an appointment and Service Centers where they have to wait weeks for appointments.

I suspect this is one of the problems, unfortunately, and it may be fixed with the new SC's and more Rangers. But when you are slammed with too much work, things do get dropped in the cracks, important or not.

I think this is 100% the issue.

Reactions: boaterva
I'm certain Costa Mesa has a lot of traffic. I waited a week to get my AC fixed when the weather was cold. I waited 4 days to get a tow hitch installed.

I got flat tire replaced within an hour driving up with no appointment.

I originally came for the tow hitch install but give them a laundry list of adjustments. Seal replacements, squeaking doors etc. they banged out everything and turned the car over within 24 hours.

I can't complain.

When people write b*tch letters it's all about the adversarial process. They want to slant the story a particular angle and try to win in a court of law or court of public opinion. Admitting fault or looking for a balanced discussion doesn't help you achieve maximum settlement.

Too much nonsense in the Reddit article - I just know I wouldn't put my kid next to a known faulty door that wouldn't close.

Mode Xs made in early 2016 have something called a "3rd row".

UPDATE: My Tesla Model X 90D Driver side falcon door opened while driving on freeway with my 6 y.o. sitting next to it! • r/teslamotors

To the Reddit community

I would like to come back and thank everyone who took the time to read our post. It was your attention that prompted top Tesla executives to step up and address the issue with seriousness. Within 24 hours of posting, we were contacted by John McNeil and Michael Ojaghian and the repurchase process was completed with the personal delivery of our refund check. Update: My Tesla model X 90D Driver side falcon door opened on freeway driving 65mph with my 6y.o. Sitting next to it

and so on.