Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced options lose this S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla announced they were eliminating some options and they did....nice but not very important ones.
Then they announced elimination of the 75D.
The new lowest cost version--100D--cost $18K more.
I do not need 76 more miles of range....from 259 to 335....almost $250/mile of extra range.
Foolish and frankly not smart marketing.
I have enjoyed my 75D and when my lease is done I will be buying another brand....the Model 3's trunk is 50% smaller than the S.....deal breaker for my needs.

You can complain as much as you want, but sales were low and the m3 is now filling the low end.

That's not why they eliminated the 75D. See the thread posted above. There's a HUGE gap between what a M3P offers and what the MS 75D offers... which also leaves out anyone looking for a medium range Model X. The M3 is not just a "low end" substitute for the MS, no way, no how.

Tesla announced they were eliminating some options and they did....nice but not very important ones.
I do not need 76 more miles of range....from 259 to 335....almost $250/mile of extra range.
I have enjoyed my 75D and when my lease is done I will be buying another brand....the Model 3's trunk is 50% smaller than the S.....deal breaker for my needs.
Just buy the car at the end of the lease. It should last a long time. Leasing is expensive. Buying is cheap.

Please, calm down and enjoy your car.

I hope you realize that Tesla will replace the 75D with likely a higher capacity battery option around the same price - right?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Please, calm down and enjoy your car.

I hope you realize that Tesla will replace the 75D with likely a higher capacity battery option around the same price - right?

Yes... it makes no sense to leave this as it is. Zero. Around here, the 75 is by far the largest selling model of the S and X, and they're not going to ignore that market. And a 3, while a nice vehicle, is too small for a lot of people.

It's a question of a few days or weeks until a revised battery lineup is announced.

My guess is they will re-introduce a 220 mile Model S for around $70k, and then a 270 mile Model S for around $80k. Just a guess though.
Certainly plausible, but absent any input from Tesla, I wonder if they are indeed abandoning this part of the market. I’m guessing (no thinking involved of course, just SWAG) that they may be introducing at some point the 125D or 150D or equivalent, and then lowering the cost of the 100D at some point. While not necessary for a lot of drivers, I think folks are much more comfortable with less range anxiety delivered with the LR Model 3...I know I am. I envision Tesla wanted to deliver longer and longer range vehicles perhaps leveraging some of the development of the 200kwh batteries for the 2020 Roadster and maybe even whatever the Semi ultimately uses into their top tier S and X models.

I can also see 400+ miles of range being sufficient to qualify for most people as an ICEV replacement, even in cold weather areas. For me, the 300 mile range of the LR Model 3 did it for me. Naturally, this is based on no evidence whatever, just opining here.

Certainly plausible, but absent any input from Tesla, I wonder if they are indeed abandoning this part of the market. I’m guessing (no thinking involved of course, just SWAG) that they may be introducing at some point the 125D or 150D or equivalent, and then lowering the cost of the 100D at some point. While not necessary for a lot of drivers, I think folks are much more comfortable with less range anxiety delivered with the LR Model 3...I know I am. I envision Tesla wanted to deliver longer and longer range vehicles perhaps leveraging some of the development of the 200kwh batteries for the 2020 Roadster and maybe even whatever the Semi ultimately uses into their top tier S and X models.

I can also see 400+ miles of range being sufficient to qualify for most people as an ICEV replacement, even in cold weather areas. For me, the 300 mile range of the LR Model 3 did it for me. Naturally, this is based on no evidence whatever, just opining here.
I agree. The model S luxury sedan should have 300+ miles of range, no range anxiety. Shouldn't skimp on luxury. Buy a 3 if money is tight.
Mercedes doesn't offer a cheap low performance version of the S series They have the C series

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilDavid