Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 S and X discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my hope. When they do that I will be placing my order for the new long range Model S.
If so, are the 100’s the new SR and the coming 120’s (whatever) the LR?! :D

(They/Elon did mumble something about this at some point... probably the shadow of it!)
Yup. the batteries might gradually shrink as efficiency improves though... as long as range stays same for each range designation...

Tesla focusing on increasing profit margins. 60 & 75's were there to address people who wouldn't spend $100K for a car but wanted a viable EV - those people can buy a Model 3, now that it's being released worldwide. IIRC profit margin on cars is one of Elon's deliverables to the company (in order to get his stock bonus) - discontinuing the lower profit margin car will help that, but he couldn't do it before as it would hurt the volume, another deliverable of his. Basically, by selling a potential 75 customers a Model 3 instead, Tesla makes more money.

Tesla focusing on increasing profit margins. 60 & 75's were there to address people who wouldn't spend $100K for a car but wanted a viable EV - those people can buy a Model 3, now that it's being released worldwide. IIRC profit margin on cars is one of Elon's deliverables to the company (in order to get his stock bonus) - discontinuing the lower profit margin car will help that, but he couldn't do it before as it would hurt the volume, another deliverable of his. Basically, by selling a potential 75 customers a Model 3 instead, Tesla makes more money.

Interesting thought, but I’m not sure I agree with your conclusion. Admittedly pure speculation, but I’d assume Tesla’s profit margin is greater on a S75D than an AWD 3.

Reactions: Ken7 and hiroshiy
I agree with whitex' argument but would be interested to hear why else would they do this?

I think the 75 as it currently exists needed to go before Supercharger v3 is announced. Hard to explain why a brand new car you’re still selling can’t take advantage of the new faster charging rates (75kwh cars don’t supercharge over 100kw).

Some point thereafter we’ll see the return of a “mid range” Model S post refresh (doubt they’ll ever do a short range) with 2170 cells and maybe 85kwh.

If so, are the 100’s the new SR and the coming 120’s (whatever) the LR?! :D

(They/Elon did mumble something about this at some point... probably the shadow of it!)
If so, I'm trading up my X90D immediately. That extra range will save me a ton of time on towing trips - less stopping, less 100% charges.

Fingers crossed!

I should have seen that coming. I’d been checking the inventory vehicles in Seattle and every new vehicle was a 100D. I thought it was just their way of profiting on the end of year tax credits.

Renaming to Standard and Long Range or other not numeric names sounds possible at least as future plan.

Old rumor about 130 kWh Model S battery being tested could be another maybe a next step in the battery upgrade story later although actual number of kWh could have since changed.