Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Program Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question about the referral program, especially with overlapping periods this round.

1) how exactly does it work? If I get 3 referrals, do I only get the Powerwall currently, or do I get for items 1, 2, and 3 as they are achieved? Mainly, 2 referrals don't matter to me, the solar roof token means nothing to me. But I'd love the kids car, and a powerwall. So id rather stay at 1 than go to 2 without assuring 3.

2) typically when do prizes get paid out? Only after the program is over, or as they are achieved ?

3) what referral prizes do you want to see in the future? I feel some of the prizes don't really match the achievement. Invite to semi-truck event after 5 referrals, on my dime? I love Tesla but I'll take the powerwall and watch online any day.

powerwall is 4 referrals i think, 3 referrals is the 21 inch arachnid wheels. You can always "gift" your solar roof token to someone who wants it and im sure they'll "thank you" greatly.

you get the items once the referral owner takes delivery. So 3 referrals, you'll get the mini tesla, roof token, 21 inch wheels.

Also each referral enters you into a drawing for a P100D X or S im pretty sure. Once you hit 5, you're maxed out AFAIK for the current program. Which might be a good thing because maybe other non-famous non-youtubers can get a chance at a referral.

• Helpful
Reactions: alapd and JPUConn
I maxed out at 5 but now have a 6th! Does that count for anything? Anyone previously go over the limit and was there any further incentive? Other than helping carbon emissions
You should be unlocking Secret Level 1 soon. Additional referrals earn you a discount or even a free next gen Roadster. You can also earn unforgettable experiences that money cart buy. See the official Referral Program thread: Tesla Referral Program

I had a friend who was looking to buy. Spent a lot of time showing him my car and talking to him. He just purchased this week. I know many people that do YouTube videos and stuff.

About how long after delivery does it take to get a reward?

Reactions: msmetzger
Maybe my question wasn't as clear as I wold have liked.. I should have done a better job asking it. I think I was trying to figure-out where do y'all post your codes so that it can be used by folks trying to buy Model S or X?

Maybe my question wasn't as clear as I wold have liked.. I should have done a better job asking it. I think I was trying to figure-out where do y'all post your codes so that it can be used by folks trying to buy Model S or X?

You give it to friends. People used to post them on here and on threads on Forums but Tesla put an end to it. Now you have to organically build referrals through people you know. These cars sell themselves so basically be an evangelist.

powerwall is 4 referrals i think, 3 referrals is the 21 inch arachnid wheels. You can always "gift" your solar roof token to someone who wants it and im sure they'll "thank you" greatly.

you get the items once the referral owner takes delivery. So 3 referrals, you'll get the mini tesla, roof token, 21 inch wheels.

A side note on the 3rd referral. We have a Model X and it turns out that Model X owners get 22 inch black Turbine rims, not the 21 inch Arachnids.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
A side note on the 3rd referral. We have a Model X and it turns out that Model X owners get 22 inch black Turbine rims, not the 21 inch Arachnids.

How long after delivery of the referrals do the rims actually arrive? Anyone with prior winnings...I'd appreciate some info thx!

And I wonder if requested...could they ship 22" black turbines for an S

How long after delivery of the referrals do the rims actually arrive? Anyone with prior winnings...I'd appreciate some info thx!

And I wonder if requested...could they ship 22" black turbines for an S

I'll let you know when they come in. My timeline right now is as follows:
- Aug 8th - Referral was recorded in Tesla App
- Aug 23rd - Vehicle delivered referral
- Aug 27th - Confirmation email of delivery with details of rims

Now we're just waiting to hear from the local distributor when they arrive.

Reactions: JPUConn
Is the referral prize considered taxable income? I have 3 referrals and considering selling the 21" wheels but if there is a tax liability on the list price then that would
impact my asking price for sure.

Hank, do you know if Tesla has sent out 1099s in the past for the prior versions of the referral program?

No.No 1099 on prior referral program awards I received.

Considering almost all of the referral prize awards were shipped out or received in 2017, you won't get those 1099s until next year. I don't think any prizes of any real value were distributed in 2016 (although the referrals and levels were from 2016 program phases).