Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
37AE4D3B-8FD3-457D-98B7-1488202E50EF.jpeg
@Bull Appreciate the assist!

Just took delivery of a MSM Plaid and will be having PPF installed but earliest availability is in February. Should I hold off on having the car washed until then? As best as I try, I’m still worried about leaving swirl marks before the PPF goes on. Likely going to do XPEL Stealth and not sure I’d even be able to see swirls underneath the film so I may be overthinking this. Any thoughts appreciated!
February is a long time to wait. Have you checked out any other shops?

Swirl marks won't matter under PPF. You will not be able to see them.
this isn't true at all. you need to make sure the shop you take it to does a great job at preparing the paint before they apply the PPF. this includes polishing and removing any of the swirl marks that already exist on the car. any swirl marks that are on your car will continue to be on your car even if you put PPF over it. with Stealth PPF its a little bit more forgiving, but clear PPF ensure they prep your paint to be in pristine condition before applying the PPF.

this isn't true at all. you need to make sure the shop you take it to does a great job at preparing the paint before they apply the PPF. this includes polishing and removing any of the swirl marks that already exist on the car. any swirl marks that are on your car will continue to be on your car even if you put PPF over it. with Stealth PPF its a little bit more forgiving, but clear PPF ensure they prep your paint to be in pristine condition before applying the PPF.

It is absolutely true. Swirl marks do not show through PPF. In fact the current trend is to not do much if any paint correction prior to applying PPF. The paint surface does need to be prepped to remove contaminants but paint correction is not necessary just for swirl marks.

Additionally, paint correction removes material and you would be better off doing it after removing PPF instead of on a new car. In almost all cases with new cars 'paint correction' is completely unnecessary and just an add on cost to the buyer.
@adeezeus

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
It is absolutely true. Swirl marks do not show through PPF. In fact the current trend is to not do much if any paint correction prior to applying PPF. The paint surface does need to be prepped to remove contaminants but paint correction is not necessary just for swirl marks.

Additionally, paint correction removes material and you would be better off doing it after removing PPF instead of on a new car. In almost all cases with new cars 'paint correction' is completely unnecessary and just an add on cost to the buyer.
@adeezeus
I am just saying it’s not true because I have swirl marks/light marring that I pointed out to my PPF guys before they installed the film… and they’re still there. Just my personal experience

Just took delivery of a MSM Plaid and will be having PPF installed but earliest availability is in February. Should I hold off on having the car washed until then? As best as I try, I’m still worried about leaving swirl marks before the PPF goes on. Likely going to do XPEL Stealth and not sure I’d even be able to see swirls underneath the film so I may be overthinking this. Any thoughts appreciated!
Don't waste your hard earned money with paint correction for swirl marks before PPF. They do not show through PPF. Proper surface cleaning and prep is critical though.

Here is your answer from the horses mouth:
XPEL on a Black Car... How good for eliminating swirls and making it easier to care for?

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I am just saying it’s not true because I have swirl marks/light marring that I pointed out to my PPF guys before they installed the film… and they’re still there. Just my personal experience
That is possibly due to improper surface prep. Cleaning and stripping dirt and wax is certainly necessary. If that is not done properly the dirt in the light scratches and swirls may be able to be seen through the PPF. That part of the process is critical. The installer MUST properly prep the surface.

I'm not doubting that you can see your swirls. I'm just thinking it may be for a different reason. ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
One last bit of info for all then I'll get off my (non-paint corrected) soap box. ;)

One last bit of info for all then I'll get off my (non-paint corrected) soap box. ;)

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Good to hear different perspectives on the matter. As far as waiting until February, I totally agree that’s a long time to wait, and I’m a bit frustrated with that timeline (I picked up my plaid less than 3 weeks after placing the order… ironic that PPF will take way longer!). One installer in the central VA area said they aren’t doing PPF anymore (no idea why), and the next closest reputable installer is in Richmond and they’re quoting the Feb timeline. Otherwise, I’ll have to go to northern VA or DC and leave my car at an installer for a week, which I’m hoping to avoid.