Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the ongoing debate, I can't see how Tesla can turn up to the show with just two products in the RHD world. Is the $25k car the answer? Is the M3 the new MS.
All I can see happening is Tesla being swamped without the variety that will soon be offered.
This has to be reviewed at the board level because a further revised Model S seems unlikely in the next few years. The body in white is already certified so something else is going to cost.
Like many other decisions, this has to and will be reversed in time.
Maybe tesla do not see their future in the RHD space. It’s fairly clear that tesla is now a business focussed on profit rather than a crusader for the environment. In the LHD world they have several models but IMO they are all becoming a bit stale, which is maybe why sales of their premium products is slowing significantly.

Reactions: Sluggabed
Regardless of the ongoing debate, I can't see how Tesla can turn up to the show with just two products in the RHD world. Is the $25k car the answer? Is the M3 the new MS.
All I can see happening is Tesla being swamped without the variety that will soon be offered.
This has to be reviewed at the board level because a further revised Model S seems unlikely in the next few years. The body in white is already certified so something else is going to cost.
The M3 is no where near the style of car the S is.
If they are relying on the 3 as their halo car in RHD markets they will loose share.

Who did? Links...
There are probably many links. Here's one - easily found.

As far as I know all the American countries all the way down to Tierra del Fuego have always driven on the right (ever since European colonization that is).

Basically, any country that ran large teams of horses or oxen traveled to the right. The US was one such country. In Europe France was another such country. And likewise Australia would have been a country that had teamsters driving large teams. That means that, at some point, Australia has switched from driving on the right to the left.

When you describe someone as ‘british’ it means they were either born in Britain or have the nationality of British on their passport. Someone born in Australia or having Australian on their passport is described as an Australian, not a Brit. So when you say “you british” you are directly stating the person or group is british, which is possible but you are unlikely to know, just like you don’t know that India do indeed import cars, but impose massive tarifs to discourage it. As for blindly believing an auto executive…even Elon Musk stated that he would never forget those that purchased S&X to make Tesla happen, and many believed him.
Australia is a British country.

It was the guns' idea.

Either way, incredibly American of this guy to rock up and start insulting people while getting a bunch of facts wrong :D
It is indisputable that Australia drives on the left side of the road. I assume that they made this decision at some time for some reason known only to themselves. And, as Tesla and others are making all too clear, this was a bad decision. So, when I state this in what way am I being insulting?

My guess is that the board has already made the decision and I don't see any reason that they will reverse it. The point I'm making is that other boards either have already made this decision or soon will so you should just suck it up or do something about it in your country.

However, if you really believe that there is a market for Model S cars to drive on the left you are at liberty to start the company to manufacture them. Good luck with that.

My guess is that the board has already made the decision and I don't see any reason that they will reverse it. The point I'm making is that other boards either have already made this decision or soon will so you should just suck it up or do something about it in your country.

However, if you really believe that there is a market for Model S cars to drive on the left you are at liberty to start the company to manufacture them. Good luck with that.
So now you know the decisions automotive boards are making before they are made or public. Someone needs a reality check.

Australia is a British country.
Maybe stick to your knowledge of the country you live in. Australia is not a British colony and in fact never was. The States were colonies and they joined around 1900 to form the commonwealth of australia. It’s people are australians, just as the other commonwealth countries…canada=canadian, india=indian, new zealand = sheep

Maybe stick to your knowledge of the country you live in. Australia is not a British colony and in fact never was. The States were colonies and they joined around 1900 to form the commonwealth of australia. It’s people are australians, just as the other commonwealth countries…canada=canadian, india=indian, new zealand = sheep
Feed not the troll lest the troll prosper

Reactions: Shock-On-T
"WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:" - from the preamble of the Australian Constitution - don't get much more British than that.

So you have British style government, you speak with a British accent, and you do British things. Driving on the left side of the road is a British thing. Another British thing is the rabid anti Americanism that Americans are subject to from Australians. Like whining about Tesla when they fail to supply you with the models that you somehow believe that you are entitled to.

So, if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck ...

Thanks for that Mr Fahrenheit
What you point out is true. I can drive a Model S and have it display in Fahrenheit. On the other hand you cannot drive a Model S and have it display in Celsius. So what's your point?

One thing you neglect to consider is that I may be in Mexico or Canada in which case I might be driving a Model S which is set to display in Celsius. What a cannot do is go to Australia and do that. Do you see the problem now!

• Disagree
Reactions: paulp
What you point out is true. I can drive a Model S and have it display in Fahrenheit. On the other hand you cannot drive a Model S and have it display in Celsius. So what's your point?

One thing you neglect to consider is that I may be in Mexico or Canada in which case I might be driving a Model S which is set to display in Celsius. What a cannot do is go to Australia and do that. Do you see the problem now!
In the interests of accuracy, my 2014 Australian spec Model S can display Centigrade of Fahrenheit, Kilometres or Miles, PSI or Bar and I have chosen the first nominated of each unit for my car. I went around showing MPH for a week just for fun once but it soon got boring converting back.
Anyone who goes to the Mitchell library and goes through the Microfiche of old Sydney Morning Heralds from the early 20th century can see from the advertisements how much Australians at the time considered themselves to be British subjects, with one ad for trucks claiming them to be more British than the British. If you look in the employment section you will also see many finish with the disclaimer CNNA (Catholics Need Not Apply).
To say that Australia and Australian attitudes have changed since then would be an understatement; readers of those newspapers if alive today would not recognise the place.
Australia with all its faults and underlying systemic racism is still an example of one of the most successful multicultural countries in the world and the concept of a “fair go for all” is somewhat unique, despite being derived from similar overseas concepts.
So as usual, everyone has a point, but the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
But all of this is off topic with respect to the non availability of new Model S and X in Australia, so please stick to the topic going forward or I will put my Moderator hat on and start deleting posts and moderating users.

For anyone lamenting the loss of the Model X or wanting an EV replacement, here is a car review from the head of the AMG EQ project (so its a bit dry but informative) showing the AMG EQE SUV. It is the AMG features only so you need to see a different video to understand the base SUV. If you are into track work this has a prolific amount of data availability. At the end he outlines RHD versions will be delivered toward the end of this year. The SUV version of the EQE is not yet available to test drive.