Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what alternatives to Tesla are there in the dawn of 2024, really? Some of the most important features for me that have historically separated Tesla from the rest are:

- Car remote controllable for parking: can park itself in and out of spots via key or phone activation without being in the car.
- Climate can be kept on until the car runs low on battery
- OTA software updates
- Service intervals on condition, not at x km. That's a big one! I always blow whatever liquid I happen to be sipping out my nose when I read about 20,000km service intervals for other EVs!
- Climate can be controlled from the app even with the car off and parked far away.
- Reliable autosteer and adaptive cruise control, both enabled for local roads and motorways
- at least 4 USB connectors in the cabin (for power)
- at least one 12V connection capable of powering a 150W 240V inverter (or better yet, an actual 240V outlet in the cabin somewhere able to deliver 150W - ideally more)
- Glass roof with a large unobstructed surface (so I can suction cup mount my starlink kit inside)
- Built-in dashcam for all cameras, accessible by the user
- >500km real world range
- Nice big touchscreen for nav and settings, with appropriately placed lips around the screen to secure hand when pushing buttons while driving.

edit: And how do others deal with a much smaller charging network?

Do any of the new players in the field fulfill all of these requirements?
Cannot agree with you that tacc and autosteer are reliable in a tesla. They reliably fail, and are guaranteed inflexible. Cannot even drive around a pothole withit it dropping out. It even drops out turning around a city corner when on nav, and the tacc reads speed signs….sometimes, if it feels like it.

Also the smallest charging network in SA is the tesla network. In Adelaide we get 4 stalls. About to get more but I think the 4 will then be removed as that land has been sold.

@Tiger presumably means "features", not "performance"? Because in the performance department, nobody else comes even close to my ludicrously ludicrous Raven.

It's a sad state of affairs if the only upgrade from a Tesla money can buy is nicer (faux)leather stitching, even door gaps, and fixed service intervals.

I meant that most evs if they had Tesla's performance department and price (including maintenance) ballpark, I would choose those over Tesla because of better usability/practicality/comfort/interior space/backseat comfort/fit&finish. But a pony does not need many tricks to last long.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
@paulp I've never driven to SA so am not aware of the apparently lacking SC network there. It's pretty good over here in the banana shaped region of the east coast, where I do all my driving (south of MEL to north of BNE).

Regarding TACC, I strangely don't suffer the frequent phantom braking issues others are having (my car still has radar, perhaps that's why). I've had a few instances (anecdotally related to the time when Tesla thought they could do without radar) but those have abated since then. AS has been what I would call rock solid in > 100,000km of driving, with >90% of it done with AS engaged. That means, I never had a single issue on motorways, and on local roads, there's just one single intersection where it repeatedly does something stupid and tries to hop in the adjacent lane. And a couple of lane swaps on rural roads, which I consider forgiveable due to missing lane markings. I made 3 videos of this (and shared with Tesla) in this playlist (look for Epping Rd / Delhi Rd): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgZfZGjXblHVIVJMPa1mjO2rO68zjr0KM

I'd actually be interested to know if others have the same problem there.

I agree it would be useful to be able to override AS briefly without it completely disengaging. I believe the Merc system allows for that?

Reactions: Jules22
@paulp I've never driven to SA so am not aware of the apparently lacking SC network there. It's pretty good over here in the banana shaped region of the east coast, where I do all my driving (south of MEL to north of BNE).

Regarding TACC, I strangely don't suffer the frequent phantom braking issues others are having (my car still has radar, perhaps that's why). I've had a few instances (anecdotally related to the time when Tesla thought they could do without radar) but those have abated since then. AS has been what I would call rock solid in > 100,000km of driving, with >90% of it done with AS engaged. That means, I never had a single issue on motorways, and on local roads, there's just one single intersection where it repeatedly does something stupid and tries to hop in the adjacent lane. And a couple of lane swaps on rural roads, which I consider forgiveable due to missing lane markings. I made 3 videos of this (and shared with Tesla) in this playlist (look for Epping Rd / Delhi Rd): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgZfZGjXblHVIVJMPa1mjO2rO68zjr0KM

I'd actually be interested to know if others have the same problem there.

I agree it would be useful to be able to override AS briefly without it completely disengaging. I believe the Merc system allows for that?
My model S has radar. I also forgot to mention the tacc habit of being nervous and reacting to something I’m clearly not going to hit several hundred metres away.

Yes the merc lane keeping system allows you to steer around anything, even a corner or roundabout without dropping out. The tacc will slow down for a required corner (or roundabout) on any street when in navigation, which I only discovered a few weeks ago. It seems to know my preferred speed for these.
The system is not a beta.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
RHD cars to be made in Germany.
Initially, Model Y only.
Maybe a Model S one day? The Indians deserve one! (and then maybe us, too...)