Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else been told (in between VIN and delivery) that their vehicle is in transit and is in a “dead zone” (an area where the car is not connected to the internet)?

I was VINed 2 weeks ago, and I’ve been told the vehicle is “in transit” for 1.5 weeks without any other update. Because of the dead zone, the SA has no idea where the car is between Fremont and the delivery center.
Yes, I was told my car's location couldn't be pin-pointed yesterday. Wondering if rail transport (metal cars) prevent cell connectivity.

Crap. What's the furthest we can push out our delivery?

Our house is delayed, the closest supercharger is 30 minutes away, and we have no way to install a proper charge unit in our apt. 5-15 charging of an X is unreasonable.

Tesla really dropped the ball on MA infrastructure.

I recall hearing you could delay for a month, but after that you had to cancel. Of course, you could delay for a month and then reject whatever they offer (if you're willing to go through that) and it will cause some unknown additional delay. Supposedly you can reject twice but if you reject three times they cancel? Not sure how they'd react if you reject delivery on a perfectly good car, though -- you'd definitely be taking your chances.

You've probably covered this, but have a look at hotels in your area. When we first got our 3, we charged on a household plug for a while until we got a wall connector. You'd probably add 3 miles of range per hour of charging on an X? (It was 4 mph on the Model 3 and we didn't typically use more than ~30 miles in a day so this was still a net gain.) When we did the occasional long drive, afterward we'd go to a nearby hotel with an EV charger -- the desk person there said we were welcome to use it -- and either have a sit-down meal nearby or rollerblade in the back parking lot while it charged (that would give up to 30-ish miles per hour of charging, depending on the connection).

Also, our delivery center has a pair of superchargers and was willing to charge the X as much as we wanted before we drove off with it, so you might be able to start with a full charge. (They just had the car connected to a wall charger for delivery, but then mentioned there was a supercharger around back so we could start out with more than the 45% or so on the battery when we finished delivery proceedings.)

Yes, I was told my car's location couldn't be pin-pointed yesterday. Wondering if rail transport (metal cars) prevent cell connectivity.
Not 100% sure it is the same on the newer vehicles but my Model S's do not update GPS unless the wheels are moving. Found that out the hard way as I was swearing at a shipping company that was moving my car coast to coast, for leaving my car in a dirt lot 2000 miles away, only to have the truck roll up 2 hours later.

Interesting. The car should be transported only by trucks in my area, but maybe there’s another reason for it. Still pretty ridiculous that some people have told me the car is in Fremont still while others have no idea where it is. Been a frustrating experience even after receiving the VIN nonetheless.

Reactions: studioloft
Supposedly you can reject twice but if you reject three times they cancel? Not sure how they'd react if you reject delivery on a perfectly good car, though.
A rep at Tesla once told me that it depends on the product line. S/X have a lot of issues, and have apparently eased-off on these policies a lot (compared to 3/Y).

Of course take all of this with a grain of salt, and is all but certainly subject to change.

Took the delivery of the car over the weekend. Car is in a perfect condition. Coming from Model 3, the air suspension is great. The car is very quiet as well. The luxury interior is night and day comparing to my M3. The whole ordering process could not have been better. Our SA kept us in the loop from ordering, status during the build, transport from factory to LA, when it arrived, and when it's ready to be pickup. Since we have our current Volvo care lease, we even delayed the pickup for over 2 weeks and they didn't care.

If you are reading this far, yes, we picked up our BMW X5 45e. We still have our MX LR order but at this point, we have jumped ship. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_3978 copy.jpg
    IMG_3978 copy.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 117
Took the delivery of the car over the weekend. Car is in a perfect condition. Coming from Model 3, the air suspension is great. The car is very quiet as well. The luxury interior is night and day comparing to my M3. The whole ordering process could not have been better. Our SA kept us in the loop from ordering, status during the build, transport from factory to LA, when it arrived, and when it's ready to be pickup. Since we have our current Volvo care lease, we even delayed the pickup for over 2 weeks and they didn't care.

If you are reading this far, yes, we picked up our BMW X5 45e. We still have our MX LR order but at this point, we have jumped ship. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.
I suppose there is gonna be a lucky one that gets their LR early. Good luck to you with your new plug-in hybrid!

Reactions: Thamanrp
Did they work when you picked up? There have been posts about making certain the plastic between the fob battery and the contact point are not obstructed.

And there's also the odd possibility that the fob battery might be dead...one of mine died two weeks after delivery. I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why it wasn't talking to the car, until it finally dawned upon me to check the battery with a voltmeter. I imagine one could get a new coin battery from the service center, but it was just way easier to buy a few from Amazon (3-pack for $5).

(I am sure some people are going to be screaming "you're letting them getting away with it!!!" but to them I say fooey. You pick your battles, and this wasn't one worth fighting.)

Bruce.

I was just told by my SA that Tesla is not allowing us to push off accepting a car like in the past. I'd like to delay my order for at least 6 months if not longer, but doesn't seem to be an option at this point. Anyone know about this change?
You can put your order on one(1) 30-day hold. If you have already been VINned when you do this then it will count as one of your rejections (you get 2 before your order is cancelled).

We went through this back in mid-February. We were VINned on 2/14 but were not ready - we had to keep our Volvo until at least April. So we placed the car on a 30-day hold. We were VINned again on 4/11 and took delivery on 5/7.

So maximum delay would be to wait until you are VINned, put on 30-day hold. Expect to be VINned again in 2 months. Then wait a few weeks for transit, prep, etc. Push the delivery as long as you can. Show up and reject the car. Go back into the build queue. That will get you pretty close to 6 months but you will have to accept that 3rd car or lose your $250 order fee and have to order again at the current prices.

I was just told by my SA that Tesla is not allowing us to push off accepting a car like in the past. I'd like to delay my order for at least 6 months if not longer, but doesn't seem to be an option at this point. Anyone know about this change?
You can put your order on one(1) 30-day hold. If you have already been VINned when you do this then it will count as one of your rejections (you get 2 before your order is cancelled).

We went through this back in mid-February. We were VINned on 2/14 but were not ready - we had to keep our Volvo until at least April. So we placed the car on a 30-day hold. We were VINned again on 4/11 and took delivery on 5/7.

So maximum delay would be to wait until you are VINned, put on 30-day hold. Expect to be VINned again in 2 months. Then wait a few weeks for transit, prep, etc. Push the delivery as long as you can. Show up and reject the car. Go back into the build queue. That will get you pretty close to 6 months but you will have to accept that 3rd car or lose your $250 order fee and have to order again at the current prices.

Lately this has been my biggest source of anxiety.

I have received a date range of May 19th - June 8th but I have a few hard obligations coming up that I can not get out of. I can only hope that it aligns on a time I am in town.

When they say you can schedule delivery how large of a date range do they give you to pick from? My Tesla ordering experience from a few years ago is very different from what it is today.

We’ll see you in our rear view mirror :)