Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshing website creating issues.... tesla-waze site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I've gotten into the car and press the brake and it says Systems starting up, but the center console never comes up. Parking Assist is disabled. After waiting a longtime, I end up having to reboot the console.

Contacted my service center and they remotely looked into the car and said it appears that the website is creating the issue and to put the browser to something like google when not in use.

This was the site that I left my browser on: http://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/

So if you have this quirk, might be something to consider. I guess websites that constantly refresh may be an issue.

Just thought I'd share. I'll probably switch the google, when I get out of the car and see if the lockups stop.

Russ

Funny, I've had no issues with tesla-waze.excelsis.com, although I have seen constant-refreshing behavior if I leave the browser on news.google.com. But even when I manage to leave the browser on a site whose content refreshes periodically, I haven't needed to reboot the center display.

Please do let us know if your lockups stop after you switch to a static page. I'm also thinking that the website might not be the cause here, but you never know.

Have heard this issue on and off for a while now for various auto-refreshing sites (e.g. yahoo quotes), but have not seen any evidence that this is really the case. It would reflect extremely poor
software engineering if they allowed typical user actions to interfere with core sub-systems; this is perhaps one reason the web browser is so slow in the first place.

This was the response from the service center after they took a look at my logs remotely. I gave them specific time when the system locked up. I did tell them that I don't think this website is rich-content, which initiated the second response. I'll try it and see. Also, they were saying I was leaving it on this page, as my issues were when the car wouldn't wake up.

Our engineers found that the web-browser is on a rich-content website that is affecting the touchscreen performance. We recommend that you keep the browser on Teslamotors.com when it is not in use. If it is behaving abnormally many times a touchscreen reset is all it needs. Overall, they found that the vehicle is operating as designed.

Our engineering team said that the website it is currently on is constantly refreshing which is causing the issue. If the issue still persists when on Teslamotors.com or google.com please let me know.

It's a pretty slow and bloated site but at least it doesn't auto refresh constantly AFAIK.

Oh, I know and agree. But in the first email exchange, they don't say use a site that doesn't auto-refresh. They say the problem is the site is content-rich and then point him to another one that is just as content-rich! :)

The second email exchange at least complains about "constant refreshing".

The "constant" refreshing is, at most, once every 30 seconds and typically doesn't involve many secondary requests (unless you're zoomed in a lot, or traveling at 100 mph) as it only applies differences and doesn't do a full reload of content.