Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejecting my 2020 Tesla M3P after 4 months of ownership. Sad day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure he's not overly interested in FSD, let alone obsessing about it. The amount of things that have turned out to be complete bulls*it over FSD it's amazing anyone believes anything he says anymore. Quality isn't even on his radar, never has been, never will be until people stop buying the product.
I guess we have to start dancing on top of Tesla cars like that lady in Shanghai, to get Tesla serious about these issues.

Reactions: InternetDude
The only thing that is going to get Tesla to change course is competition, and people actually putting their money where their mouth is.

As it is, and has been for a long time, Tesla appear to enjoy demand exceeding supply of their cars. They know they can be insouciant towards individual customers with complaints or concerns because there will be another 3 behind them keen and ready to take their place. This mentality trickles all the way down through the company. You might get individual employees who take pride in their work, but in the main the whole attitude towards the customer - in build quality, quality control, PDI, after sales, etc - is perfunctory.

Before too long Tesla won’t be remarkable as “the only fully EV brand”. Others, with better attitudes, solid and proven manufacturing processes, big glass buildings that customers can walk into with complaints and concerns, will have established themselves and will be luring customers away for whom just the brand name “Tesla” is not enough.

Sadly I fear that the point that they try to change course and dramatically improve things will be too late for them to recover from, and Tesla will become synonymous with “the car company who were first to market but squandered their position”. Maybe that’s too extreme and they’ll always be a place for them, I guess we’ll see.

I'm sure he's not overly interested in FSD, let alone obsessing about it. The amount of things that have turned out to be complete bulls*it over FSD it's amazing anyone believes anything he says anymore. Quality isn't even on his radar, never has been, never will be until people stop buying the product.

There are plenty of people who are downright sycophantic in their hero worship of the Musk and of Tesla in general.

The only thing that is going to get Tesla to change course is competition, and people actually putting their money where their mouth is.

As it is, and has been for a long time, Tesla appear to enjoy demand exceeding supply of their cars. They know they can be insouciant towards individual customers with complaints or concerns because there will be another 3 behind them keen and ready to take their place. This mentality trickles all the way down through the company. You might get individual employees who take pride in their work, but in the main the whole attitude towards the customer - in build quality, quality control, PDI, after sales, etc - is perfunctory.

Before too long Tesla won’t be remarkable as “the only fully EV brand”. Others, with better attitudes, solid and proven manufacturing processes, big glass buildings that customers can walk into with complaints and concerns, will have established themselves and will be luring customers away for whom just the brand name “Tesla” is not enough.

Sadly I fear that the point that they try to change course and dramatically improve things will be too late for them to recover from, and Tesla will become synonymous with “the car company who were first to market but squandered their position”. Maybe that’s too extreme and they’ll always be a place for them, I guess we’ll see.
The bigger issue, far beyond their apathy, is that established brands simply make cars better.

We're not just talking BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and VW here... but even down to Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota, Honda etc. They've got so much automotive experience that they realise that door seals need to line up, that the underside paint on the vehicles needs to be a different thickness and composition than the orange peel that emblazes the upper bodywork. They realise that you need to sound-insulate door panels, and fit anti-vibration strips where metal panels converge etc etc.

Once the big names crack battery technology, intelligent cell health monitoring and efficient electric motors Tesla will be in deep trouble. The one element of pride is that Musk will be able to claim that he started that (r)evolution.

The bigger issue, far beyond their apathy, is that established brands simply make cars better.

We're not just talking BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and VW here... but even down to Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota, Honda etc. They've got so much automotive experience that they realise that door seals need to line up, that the underside paint on the vehicles needs to be a different thickness and composition than the orange peel that emblazes the upper bodywork. They realise that you need to sound-insulate door panels, and fit anti-vibration strips where metal panels converge etc etc.

Once the big names crack battery technology, intelligent cell health monitoring and efficient electric motors Tesla will be in deep trouble. The one element of pride is that Musk will be able to claim that he started that (r)evolution.
Tesla's USP is the Supercharger network. No other manufacturer can touch it. The rag tag assortment of 3rd party chargers are a joke.

Tesla's USP is the Supercharger network. No other manufacturer can touch it. The rag tag assortment of 3rd party chargers are a joke.
The tide does appear to be turning though. GRIDSERVE seem to be heading very much in the right direction and if their tie up with Ecotricity can sort out the apparent mess at Motorway/A Road services then the Supercharger network may become much less of a USP, especially if the Supercharger network starts to get capacity issues.

agreed and its interesting to note that not only is it functionally very good but it is generally very reliable more so than the alternatives and problems are generally fixed quickly. Maybe they know that it, more so than the cars themselves, is their key attribute and want to ensure its reputation at all cost.

The tide does appear to be turning though. GRIDSERVE seem to be heading very much in the right direction and if their tie up with Ecotricity can sort out the apparent mess at Motorway/A Road services then the Supercharger network may become much less of a USP, especially if the Supercharger network starts to get capacity issues.

Griderve current location not on strategic motorway network = not ideal really. Ecotricity typically 1 or 2 chargers at an MSA isn’t going to cut it even if they replace them. The Rugby Services model is the way forward.

Agree - competition is the ultimate driver to either innovate (includes quality) or die. I must admit, the car is fun to drive, nothing like I have experienced before. Traditional automakers suck in software (check out ID.4). But if they lure talent away from tech, find better battery technology...but by the time Elon would settle in Mars and avoid litigation on Earth.

I think that all car makers have issues - its just Tesla is much more in the spotlight than others. My 18 month Model 3 hasn't had a thing wrong with it - not one. Well, a smashed wing mirror but that was entirely the fault of the garage wall!
Yes. I decided to buy M3, after my Audi dealer kept finding newer leaks, oil spots and transmission...and kept quoting higher $$. I hope my M3 LR lasts longer and not have major issues.

Excuse me sir... you are either Elon incognito - or must own almost as many TSLA shares as he does.

Back here on planet Earth - Teslas with issues are not outliers.

As a Californian, it's kind of embarrassing that an assembly plant down the highway can't get its act together, particularly when we're shipping thousands of these things across the pond.
It might help if you read my post again...you will discover two important words..."so many". I am well aware of issues in Tesla vehicles. I own one and have had issues that have been resolved to my satisfaction. It is clear that with these 20+ issues the OP talks about, he is an outlier! If the majority of owners had 20+ issues then this forum would be awash with the news...it clearly isn't!

Reactions: Marty3SR+ and Exy1
agreed and its interesting to note that not only is it functionally very good but it is generally very reliable more so than the alternatives and problems are generally fixed quickly. Maybe they know that it, more so than the cars themselves, is their key attribute and want to ensure its reputation at all cost.
That’s a good observation. How can they manage to get the SuC service model so right at the same time as the manufacturing and service model wrong?

Reactions: Beady3647
Agree. If Elon can stop obsessing about FSD and fix these apparent quality issues, the total addressable market for Tesla is huge.

I have to disagree, if you want a reliable EV the choices are there already, Hyundia/Kia make more reliable AND cheaper EVs. So why haven't we all bought an Hyundai/Kia??

Software is Tesla's real USP, our X is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, in the last 6 months alone its needed 4 warranty visits, in the last 3.5 years its had a dozen+ issues appear thats needed sorting.

But we would buy another in a heart beat and a Y/3/S will replace our ultra reliable Lexus when funds allow.

Tesla cannot compete with Lexus/Kia/Hyundai³ on reliability, but how many of those cars will allow me to pull up the service log from a phone app?? Have you guys used the Lexus web 'portal'?! - If you want a laugh go and try it.

All companies have limited resources, IF Tesla can deliver anything close to FSD software, that will have a much bigger impact on sales than improving reliability. I would love a more reliable Tesla, but that not the reason I love mine. A Hyundai/Kia/Nissan is the better EV if reliability is your main concern.

51135387104_def3408f63_k_d.jpg

I guess we have to start dancing on top of Tesla cars like that lady in Shanghai, to get Tesla serious about these issues.

The difference in China was that lady got her story printed in the 'official' communist party backed news paper which only happens if you have the right connections.....There is only one truth in China and you would be foolish to argue anything against the party, even when the facts say something else. Tesla had essential no choice but admit fault (even though in this case there was no fault) if they wanted to keep building cars in China. Arguing against the main party newpaper would be seen as a direct confrontation against the party, you don't want to do, ever.

Remember every animal is equal but some are more equal than others :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Exy1 and Avendit
I have to disagree, if you want a reliable EV the choices are there already, Hyundia/Kia make more reliable AND cheaper EVs. So why haven't we all bought an Hyundai/Kia??

Tesla cannot compete with Lexus/Kia/Hyundai³ on reliability

Really? Isn't Hyundai in the process of recalling almost every EV that they have sold to replace the faulty battery pack that can burst in to flames? What about all of the Hyundai/Kia vehicles that they had to recall because the ABS module would short out and burn the vehicle to the ground even while it was parked?

I certainly don't classify that as reliable.

Reactions: Florafauna
Really? Isn't Hyundai in the process of recalling almost every EV that they have sold to replace the faulty battery pack that can burst in to flames? What about all of the Hyundai/Kia vehicles that they had to recall because the ABS module would short out and burn the vehicle to the ground even while it was parked?

You've missed the news about Teslas doing the same.....except Tesla denies there is a problem and hides behind NDAs and software updates :)

Be a Tesla fanboy as much as you like, Teslas are unreliable everyone knows it, but that isn't why I love our Tesla. Given the choice between Tesla putting in resources to advance stuff like FSD software versus reliability, I would choose software every time. Reliability is boring, if I want reliable I would go and buy a Lexus (or a Kona).

Reactions: btc1k